Australian Politics, Mark II

Border Protection Hypocrisy

John Kelly

Come by boat and you will be denied entry to Australia for ever, but if you come by plane, it’s okay. This is the bizarre outcome the ‘stop the boats’ policy has produced.

People smugglers are alive and well, doing great business, after changing their business model to accommodate the government crackdown on asylum seekers coming to our shores by boat.

Figures just released by the Home Affairs department show that 27,931 protection visa applications were made in the latest financial year by asylum seekers who have come by plane.

This is a record under this government or the previous Labor government.

The previous record number was 26,845 in the 2012-13 financial year, under Labor. But that figure included 18,365 for boat arrivals and only 8480 for those who came by plane. And the figures for 2018-19 will by higher still.

The surge of arrivals by plane requesting asylum has created a mounting backlog of applications, mainly from China, Malaysia and India, and is now taking up to three years to process, largely because the Home Affairs department is reducing its frontline staffing.

The hypocrisy is mind-numbing. It also raises the question: where are these plane arrivals being accommodated? The numbers are too great to be sent to Christmas Island. Are they detained in special centres? Again, the numbers are too high for that. So how are we managing these applicants?

No, they are living in the community, under protection visas that enable them to work and be exploited by unscrupulous employers. This requires a high degree of skilled management by people smugglers who liaise with local employers and receive ongoing commissions for their efforts.

So which party is soft on border protection? Why are we not patrolling our airports, seeking out possible asylum seekers masquerading as tourists among the millions who arrive each year? Where is the outrage?

Just to demonstrate that this past year is not a glitch, over the past four years since the government “stopped the boats”, 64,362 protection visa applications have been made by individuals who have arrived on tourist visas, by plane, under Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton’s watch.

Meanwhile, a comparatively small number of refugees on Manus Island and Nauru, wait out a determined government’s refusal to allow them entry to Australia, for no other reason, than coming by boat.

There is a high degree of organisation required to successfully pass through Australian Immigration, not just here but also at major departure points such as Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

This is a highly sophisticated trafficking operation and has placed our immigration officials under huge stress. Maintaining a constant supply of asylum seekers using the ‘fly-in’ model is proving more popular because it is more profitable. The more that come, the more difficult it is to process them.

It is clear that by curtailing the boat arrivals, the government has indirectly encouraged people smugglers to develop new and more sophisticated methods of delivery, exploiting weaknesses in our processing procedures.

One might argue that at least they are not risking their lives coming by sea. Really? Just when did it become popular to be concerned about people dying at sea while trying to get to Australia on leaking boats?

It certainly wasn’t during John Howard’s time. Back then no one gave a rat’s hiss. Only when Kevin Rudd became prime minister did we begin to hear plaintive cries of concern for the safety of women and children. The hypocrisy was palpable.

You will be hearing a lot about border protection over the coming months as we head towards an election. It will be unrelenting as the government tries to paint Labor as weak, all the while, hiding its own pathetic failures.

The media will be fed the usual drivel, with no mention of those arriving by plane. Hopefully, the release of these figures will put an end to that.

Details of the Onshore Humanitarian Program 2017-18 Delivery and outcomes for Non–Illegal Maritime arrival (Non –IMA) as at 30 June 2018, can be found on the HOME Affairs website at: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/
With thanks and recognition, further information can be found at: http://www.johnmenadue.com/abul-rizvi-dutton-sets-new-asylum-seeker-application-record/ and
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2018/12/09/record-number-asylum-seekers-peter-dutton/

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that.

It makes much more sense to arrive by plane - probably a lot cheaper and certainly a lot safer than trying to get Christmas Island on a leaky Indonesian fishing boat.

But the main point is that this is probably the greatest prize winning example of hypocrisy from the champions of hypocrisy.

If only Hypocrisy was an Olympic event, the Tories could win gold for Australia.

6 Likes

The final upper house results from the Victorian election are out (all declared except Southeastern Melbourne; not sure why, it appears it wasn’t that close in the end).

VEC site not updated so look at:

Labor 18
Liberal 9 + Coalition 2
HinchJustice 3
Lib Dems 2
Greens 1
Reason 1
Transport Matters 1
Sustainable Racists 1
Shooters 1
Animal Justice For The Win 1

Will be interesting seeing how the Government collect 21 votes.

wut?

2 Likes

OK, maybe a tad harsh (or they have a better facade). They’re certainly not as out as the likes of Australian Liberty Alliance.

Wait and see.

10 Senate seats to people probably bugger-all people wanted, and the Coaltion got 11.
Hell, the ALP only got 18 in a friggin’ landslide.

Yeah.
Reckon the Senate needs reform.
This is bulltwang.

4 Likes

Extraordinary results in the final Upper House declarations, as you no doubt know.
All sorts of winners, financial and political, but the most surprising winner for mine is the ALP. They knew they would win and did not want to be overseen by the Greens with an upper house balance of power. Instead they have a cluster ■■■■ of minor party who apparently paid for the privilege. As a result Labor can get any legislation up they like up. Labor have 18 and provide the speaker so they need 3 votes. There are 3 progressive votes in the Green, Reason and AJP but they’re just as likely to court the 3 Hinchites in return for hard ■■■■ crime laws or the shooters and the 2 libertarians in return for protecting the duck season slaughter and going soft on guns.
Labor literally have control and the donors funding them know that.
What a pity the Greens significant upper house vote was literally stolen by a shyster with the support of an allegedly progressive party.
From my Mornington Peninsula perspective I wait with trepidation to see what happens to the AGL threat to Western Port and the planning law softening threatening to turn us into the next Cranbourne at the expense of our ecological heritage.

1 Like

Oh right, you had me thinking some party actually named themselves that. fk.:roll_eyes:

Who TH are you on about then?

The tricky bit is doing all of those combos without ■■■■■■■ them off too much the next time you need them!

Sustainable Australia.

1 Like

Tell the shooters and the libertarians to pass all the ratbag legislation in exchange for going soft on guns and the duck season. That’s what Lejinjohn or whatever his name is does at federal level and the 2 vic libertarians with less than 1% of the vote have more power than their federal counterpart if they deal.

Why would Labor give any support at all the Greens in the Upper House. Greens have spent the last four years putting roadblocks in front of Labor.

We offered Greens second preference locally, no strings attached and they put the Labor Candidates next to last.

When Bracks had the chance with a majority in both houses, to remove the Upper House they didn’t. Instead they made it more “democratic” and now we have a shitfeast.

Personally I’m more interested in “what” than “we”.
And the whole Crib Point AGL tragedy demonstrates the need to put “roadblocks” in the way of forces that lose sight of the need to protect fragile ecosystems. Fuucking AGL for Chrisssake!
Direct preferences to fascists instead?

1 Like

Senate preferences are broken.
End of.
Primary votes? Fine.
Don’t tell me people want their vote going to The I Like Taxis party rather than the fifth Liberal or ALP candidate.

Most wouldn’t even know it’s a possibility.
It’s broken.
It needs to be fixed.

3 Likes

I think its good we have more diversity in the Upper House. It brings different opinions and outlooks to the parliament. I hope this trend continues.

Ha ha ha ha OH my GOd ha ha ha ahahhahhha hahahha hhhahhh ahhhh ahh h ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
And you are serious!!! Oh my Oh My Oh .
Sorry, I really am lost for words.

Party groupings should not be able to get a seat unless they gain at least 1 to 2 per cent of the vote.

1 Like

Think you’ll find most of these fringe candidate got over 1% of the vote.

Animal justice - 2.5%
Darryn Himch -3.8% = 3 seats
Reason party - 1.4%
Lib dems -2.5% = 2 seats
Shooter - 3%
Sustainable - 0.8%
Transport -0.6%

And to contrast
Greens - 9.2% = 1 seat

Reckon it should be at least 5%