Australian Politics, Mark II

Another plum job up for grabs, maybe in Florence? What grit to have your cake then smear it all over your face and ■■■■ off when there’s only stale bread left to eat. Taking a leaf from David Cameron or the leagues of Trump appointees, gettin’ out while the goin’s good, or at least early enough not to suffer too much blowback?

2 Likes

No one did,… but it’s very good news.

2 Likes

We are in Higgins and my wife got junk mail from her yesterday - more waste of taxpayer’s money.

O’Dwyer - no loss all at. In fact F.O.

5 Likes

at what ??? Or is this humour?

Guarantee you she will walk into a senior role at a bank, consulting firm or board role.

She’s been a cabinet minister, articulate, worked in investment banking before, intelligent etc, etc. Not all pollies are hopeless.

1 Like

Mining company, like all those other evil ■■■■■ do

Looked her up.

Arts/Law at Melbourne Uni followed by employment at Freehills(arguably the best law firm). You can disagree with her politics, but I’d back that pedigree to show she is a talented lady.

Slow walking pace? They’re particularly easy to evade if you’re walking.

Kelly O’Dwyer has provided a new nadir in mediocrity in Australian politics despite her qualifications and privileged background.
Good riddance

4 Likes

The wealthy retirees living in that electorate who have had their superannuation stuffed around with have been gunning for her for a while. There’s no way she could have retained that seat.

1 Like

In what way?

Mate that could describe anyone from the Libs.

1 Like

here you go:

1 Like

So if I understand this correctly. If you made over 500K voluntary super contributions, they would back date taxes for the amount over?

Those people who somehow got $10m in their super funds (despite annual limits on contributions) and expected to get it all tax-free after 60, but big mean Malcolm made them have to put all but $1.6m into a tax-paying fund.

Super was meant to be a way of funding a comfortable retirement, not a luxurious one.

That was a bad mistake making all super tax-free after age 60 back in 2007. If they’d just raised the thresholds, we wouldn’t have the stink about Shorten’s plan to abolish cash refunds of franking credits.

5 Likes

Oh, my heart bleeds for the retirees who now can only place $1.6m (each) into tax-free super — a couple at a sustainable 4% withdrawal rate can now only have $128K per year tax-free!

(They can get more tax free income elsewhere – e.g. sell shares making a profit of $36K each a year. Half capital gains on that keeps it within the normal tax-free threshold. And then as many fully-franked dividends as they like.)

2 Likes

(IIRC, the excess is only charged at 15%, so whoopee-doo. Might have to give the butler one day off per week.)

1 Like

Thanks Noonan saw you replying and knew you would tell me. For some reason, I thought 1.6 million limit has been around forever.

You nearly there? Only got 1.47 million more to get to the limit myself.

1 Like

Regardless of your politics, changing the rules after the fact is a dickmove and a lot of people wanted her gone.

1 Like