Australian Politics, Mark II

They needed simple policies.

#no one can claim interest on more than one investment property
(that puts some rental properties potentially onto the market if they are negative geared. But they would more likely re structure.

• potentially solves some of the banking problems as some of these investors may have overstretched
    Or has rich people buying them in wives names or adult kids names.
    or people owning properties in Trust or Companies, and potentially losing some CGT concessions?

Most of all the average joe could understand the policy.

#Cap on tax refund from franking credits to $20,000
Shorten - Anyone who receives a franking credit refund in super will now be limited to $20,000 this is aimed at the wealthy individuals and we are protecting australians who have put aside for their retirement. The pension scheme is too generous and this is a simple measure to claw some $$ back.

Average punter - doesnt lose any franking credits, probably doesnt understand policy but knows its targeted at rich so votes for Bill

# go after multinationals like Apple

# will use tax savings to invest in schools, hospitals, NBN and the environment
simple -gets to electorate main concerns

#no change to accounting fee deductions for indiviuals, not a policy
but say they are happy that accountants work within the industry and support lodgement of tax returns etc.

1 Like

Fair enough, Chopper Read is no longer available , but donā€™t forget Mick Gatto.

Liberal supporters are like Hawthorn supportersā€¦ theyā€™re nowhere to be seen until they win.

4 Likes

lol

Biggest lie Iā€™ve read today

3 Likes

P.S. The maths on this is pretty shonky. IIRC the average dividend on the Australian stock market is around 4.3%. If your selection of stocks is ALL fully franked, you get around 1.3% extra from imputation.

In reality anyone with 1.6 million in fully franked stocks likely has that much more in other things (e.g. international stocks, bonds, cash, property etc). Bad risk profile otherwise.

Remember that all of the above assumed the person is paying zero tax. Which is a neat trick given just one million earns them $43k in dividends, or $25k over the tax-free threshold.

And then they may have a partner with similar assets. Iā€™m struggling to feel sympathy for that particular person.

4 Likes

Yeah, show us the receipts you entitled ā– ā– ā– ā– 

The below article is illuminating.

Inner eastern suburbs swung to labor. Outer western suburbs swung to liberals.

I reckon that flips thisā€voting for self interestā€ idea on its head. Because call me crazy, but I reckon the people most likely to have multiple property investments and share portfolios live inner east.

The wealthy voted against self interest(well more than usual). But the poorest electorates in the country generally voted for rich people to keep their tax concessions.

4 Likes

This from what has been named the IDW - intellectual dark web - shows some insight ā€¦

https://quillette.com/2019/05/20/at-australian-ballot-boxes-the-lefts-empathy-deficit-came-home-to-roost/

By the way, I work as a pollster, mainly in regional areas. The nationally reported polls did not ever have much correlation with what folks were telling me.

1 Like

Thatā€™s my observation too.
There are plenty of wealthy urbanites with a conscience who canā€™t stomach right wing social politics.
And on the other hand, there is a swing to the (hard) right among the ā€˜battlersā€™. Its our Trump / Brexit moment I tells ya.

1 Like

itā€™s a pretty much that way In total votes across the country. Itā€™s just how the electorates are devised.

Love to hear more about this.

I donā€™t know if that was the point of it, but my take away from that article is effect education has on voting tendencies.

3 Likes

Here is an article that supports my conservative views from ihumrupertsnuts.com/tehleft

1 Like

You guys are too smart for this site.

No point arguing.

It wouldā€™ve been easier to run with #no_policies and just not confuse anyone.

The LNP were dead and buried 6 months ago, now we will have another 3 years of Zombie government

1 Like

objection

2 Likes

Yes and I know pretty well why your SL Mates preferred Bill over a genuine Left-winger. No one says Albo is perfect ā€” he can be devious enough himself, but then have you compared his record with Billā€™s ? Albo, despite his failings, has never been a king- and queen-maker (and breaker).

Billā€™s gone: itā€™s time to back Albo, mate ā€” or do you really want to see the NSW Right take complete control of the Party ? Because thatā€™s what youā€™ll get if Chris Bowen, chief book-keeper of the failed Labor proposals, gets the job. Iā€™ve met Bowen on several occasions: heā€™s a good bloke to talk to, very straightforward, and easy to get on with, as long as you agree with everything he says. Iā€™ve no problem with having a hard man as leader, provided heā€™s from the Left of the Party, and not from the NSW Right, like Bowen.

Ged Kearney for Leader ?? Now thereā€™s an idea I fully support ! Letā€™s hope she can be persuaded to put herself forward. My God, thereā€™d be some big celebrations in The Clyde if she won it !

3 Likes

Ged is a fantastic person

Wouldnā€™t surprise me people in the western suburbs being upset with state Labor over criminal gangs sending a protest vote the liberals way.

If only people sent protest votes to punish the purveyors of lies such as ā€œcriminal gangsā€.

4 Likes

Well Victoria did, Matthew Guy (remember him) got absolutely hammered last year, running on that terrible platform.

1 Like