Australian Politics, Mark II

Which was refreshing, yet not repeated across the country…

Thats gotta be a record for broken promise, before the election Morrison says no problem to deliver tax cuts to 10 million people, I lost count how many times he said so during the campaign, now he says he cant. And surprise surprise its link to tax cuts for 2024 to te highest tax bracket. So Think its safe to say, he wont get that through the senate, especially seeing that Jacqui “drop the attitude” Lambie is back in town.

So there you have it, this government that barely achieved anything for 6 years now has something else to blame labor about for the next 3 years. The circus continues

5 Likes

The good Ole Claytons promise, I’m looking forward to the east west link too.

What opposition in it’s right mind would ever just wave through top tax bracket relief 2 elections away. Morrison is an idiot and a liar, or as is trending #theliarfromtheshire. Apparently not enough people realised this just 4 days ago.

Sucked in badly Orstraya

1 Like

What do you want to know? DM if you like.

I worked in about 6 regional electorates over last year. None of them changed hands or swung much on Saturday, which is consistent with what they were telling me.
Some observations:

1. Folks in Indi wanted to vote Independent again without even knowing who candidate was - they were asking me if I knew who it was going to be. Dingbat Mirabella left scorched earth behind her.
  2. When Turnbull got dumped, voters looked for independents - they never went to ALP. Morrison didn’t scare them in next few months, so voters drifted back to Coalition. Dutton might have scared them. Also Victorians much happier with McCormack than Joyce.
  3. Greens are the most on the nose in regions. Even Labor voters saying they would prefer Coalition returned rather than Greens in control. And you can probably extend that view to lots of hard left policies. So Bob Brown’s convoy through Qld was probably costing 100s of Labor votes per km.
  4. In the last 2 months most older people were telling me exactly how many dollars worse off per year they were going to be under “Shorten” - and these weren’t well off people - retired couples with paid-off house worth $250k, spending $30k a year to live.
  5. A few people remembered Bill visiting local factories in his AWU days telling everyone to go on strike. I don’t recall anyone saying much positive about him.

Most of the reported polls are phone polls. While Newspoll has (had?) a good reputation and Galaxy a bad one - newscorp actually contracts out its polling to Galaxy. So it depends on the poll design and how much the sponsor is willing to pay. One problem I don’t think phone pollsters have got around is the NBN. Once NBN goes through an area whole swathes of people no longer have a landline connected (they don’t connect handset to the socket by choice). So it is probable that large cohorts of punters are not adequately represented in phone surveys which could distort results (most polling searches for landlines not mobiles cos it is cheaper).

5 Likes

What sort of sums of money were we looking at?

If the Labor Caucus pick Bowen over Albanese as the Opposition leader, then they have lost the plot.

1 Like

Caucus numbers apparently solidly with Albo

1 Like

Usually - $2k to $4k - which isn’t that much if you are working and can replace it. But retirees were saying they couldn’t replace it so it meant stopping or delaying some health treatment or not travelling to visit grand children every year.

The guy who was most angry left school at 14, worked in factory all his life, worked his way up to shift supervisor, retired, got accounting advice and rolled a lot of his super into a share portfolio. I think he said he was going to have about 20% less to live on each year.

2 Likes

That’s the thing. Once you stop working you don’t have that safety net of an income to work through things. Retirees will feel vulnerable and be a lot more conservative with their savings and would have heightened anxiety towards things that change their situation negatively.

6 Likes

It’s almost like they chose May 18 because it would stop them paying out a few billion in 2019-2020 and give them a chance of having the promised surplus.

2 Likes

Have a laugh about it, life is too short.

“…educated professionals who are yes wealthy. But they are revolting…”

They probably were originally from the Western suburbs, received a good education now on good money so they shifted to the leafy avenues of Canterbury. Nouveau riche, they used to call them. Thats OK.
Most of the descendents of the Myers, Grimwades, Ramsdens and their ilk are no longer rich.

It’s this sort of sneaky ■■■■ that this government has been up to since Morrison came to power.

3 Likes

The election should have been a landslide to labor. All the ingredients were there. As an one time local politician I managed my own successful campaigns over the years, I worked the electorate and through involvement in federal campaigns got a bit of experience about how to sell ideas to voters. I expected the ALP to win. 20 seats would not have surprised me starting from a minority government situation.

The trouble is, Bill was too honest, and contrary to what one would assume from a politician schooled in the arts of street smart union politics he was a dumbarse.

How could the political campaigning skills of Bob and Paul be lost in a generation ?

All Scomo needed was to dust off the old scare campaign formula used by Menzies and others before him, and couch it in economic self interest terms. Its easy to do when the targets head bobs up out of the trench, and actually gives the enemy the ammunition he needs.

The shame of it is if the government sees this as a mandate to continue to deny climate change. I rang my local LP member today an told him in no uncertain terms about the climate change issue.

I would recommend direct action to your local members if they are in the Liberal party and emphasise that there is not enough time . More needs to be done on climate change. Worldwide.

4 Likes

You remove the perk at budget time, not 12 months out from the election.

The ALP review should take about 5 minutes to complete.

2 Likes

I keep promising to stop posting but you lefties make it so hard for me to resist. I literally have been lol over the past few days but this was too silly for me to resist.

Bill too honest? BS Bill? Let me start (I simply don’t have the time to go much more than this but I could go on for hours):

1. We are going to take real action on climate change: No you are not because nothing Australia could do would make any difference. Your disgraceful slithering attempts to provide any real details around this sunk you. Provide the cost and provide the benefits. Too dishonest to do so…
  2. We are going to implement a debt reduction tax. We are going to deliver a surplus: In all honesty I’m not sure which lie to comment on here.
  3. We are going to look after health: Nope you are going to import 100k plus elderly people to burden the economy and the health system all in 1 go.
  4. We are not going to introduce any new taxes: Nah just ones we don’t want to talk about: “I thought I was being asked do we have any unannounced changes to superannuation, and we’ve already made the announcements of the changes we’re going to make,” Mr Shorten said."

You leftists are simply delusional.

Btw. Have you noticed that the financial markets have spiked? Why? Because it has breathed a collective sigh of relief that the financial vandals are not in change.

Bye seriously now!!!

1 Like

Fark off then, you only post steaming piles of ■■■■.

7 Likes

Wow. It took you an hour to write that?

1 Like