Australian Politics, Mark II

Thanks for that, it’s super interesting.

Most of the stuff that hits the media is poor, it’s either written by journalists who do very shallow analysis of the “shortens approval is down by 4 points due to x”. Or the more specific stuff is pretty obviously been done by an interest group with push polling.

Interesting to hear the real reflections of people that isn’t just heartless capitalist vs bleeding heart leftie. Truth is way more varied and interesting.

2 Likes

Seriously last one for a while. Where did I say 1 hour? Please quote in your response.

Not sure if your dyslexia is more of a problem than your attitude?

The site shows who is replying to each thread while they are composing.
You still don’t know what dyslexia is.
Anyway, bye…

1 Like

Ahh Silly assumptions! LOL! So saying good night to 3 kids, doing work emails etc.

I’m getting to the crux of your problem. Assumptions with little knowledge. 1+1=46. A leftie mantra!

Sorry to hear you have passed on your genetic material

10 Likes

lol.
Please quote in your response.

Every werewolf post:

Blah, blah, blah, teh left, delusional, I’m not going to argue so bye.

2 Likes

Werewolf. The Blitz political thread is no place to express a contrary view. It just elicits an avalanche of ripostes. But I am sure you know this?

Edit: thanks for the correction

2 Likes

lol.
Begbie just reminding me that you don’t have to be sober to be right.

David Marr on Twitter today was saying that Bowen doesn’t even have the backing of his own faction (NSW Right) who I think are trying to convince Jim Chalmers to run.

1 Like

Some captain of industry complained that Labor plans on negavitive gearing and frankiing credits were unfair to those in SMSF as it didn’t apply to industry super funds.
I would have thought that they benefitted anyone , in the workforce or on super, or for that matter on a pension
How many pollies own properties and franked shares?

Elicits.

7 Likes

Scrap the GST and replace it with a progressive expenditure (consumption) tax. The more you earn, the more you pay for the goods and services you consume.

Go after the rich and introduce inheritance taxes (40% - similar to England and up to 50% in Japan) when the total wealth of an estate is above a set threshold. Redistribute that wealth back into society, rather than allow successive generations to hoard and build on it.

Learn from the Norwegians how to build a sovereign wealth fund from resources. Their Pension Fund Global is worth over $1 trillion dollars. We squander our resources.

Reduce corporate tax deductions & prohibit multinationals from shifting untaxed profits offshore.

5 Likes

You want to see a ‘Death Tax’ in Australia?

Spock, are you out of your Vulkan mind?

Above a certain tax-free threshold, sure. I expect my progeny to work for a living and contribute to society - not lazily live off my hard work. In the UK, that threshold is around AUD$600,000 per person, so around $1.2 million for a married couple. In other words, death taxes only kick in on the portion of the estate worth more than that amount. A chunk of Gina Rinehart’s USD$15 billion wealth would help more Australians than passing it solely on to her four children.

3 Likes

Super rich like Gina would just offshore it.

I did when i was in my twenties.
I’ve gone right off the idea now.
Actually, going off the idea is not a recent thing.

1 Like

Does anyone have an actual plan to achieve this? I’ve never heard anyone argue against it so it would be a vote winner but my understanding (not claiming expertise) is that its not so much our laws that are the issue its international laws. In simple terms I get that some multinational companies transfer costs to Australia & claim that they sell at a loss to this market but it just seems like fixing the problem is extremely difficult. I know the Libs introduced a new measure about 2 years ago because my sister in law is a partner in one of the biggest tax consultant firms. I also know one of the CFO’s of a large multinational & both said the new laws caused them headaches but ultimately I believe it only netted a few billion but didn’t really reach the biggest targets.

Again I think this is an issue the vast majority of voters from all sides would agree on but there’s either not the will or the way. @benfti or someone else who may know - is this an issue the Greens have a policy on or at least some framework they believe would be effective? The ALP had it as the spitball way they were going to pay for election promises but never said how they would achieve it.

Governments are cracking down on that. The point here is to target wealth - not simply income. It’s the key.

1 Like

First of all, governments need to stop kowtowing to mining magnates. We have lost an incredible $90 billion in resources tax. The Norwegians must laugh at us with their $1 trillion plus sovereign fund. They have a 51% extraction tax on their oil (on top of the corporate tax rate of 27%). Investment hasn’t moved away as predicted. So, they have collected a whopping 78% from their resources. $1 trillion dollars. Think about that number for a moment. BHP settled an ATO dispute for a little over $500 million late last year after threatening massive legal action, etc. Drop in the ocean given the $90 billion lost.

Solution? Tax cashflow rather than profits.

6 Likes

Not sure these days, I left the Greens about 18 months ago

1 Like