Australian Politics, Mark II

I’m pretty fkng stupid, and it’s not written anywhere specifically, but I understand that if I post about my socio-political views (including but not limited to “kill the rich and redistribute their resources”) on my personal, publicly visible social media accounts, the likelihood of getting a very stern talking-to from my board of directors, possibly even sacked, is very very high.

But there’s the thing. I am capable of going days, weeks even, without flapping my dumb fkng gums about those views in a broadly public manner.

ah the beauty of fake accounts.

Or accosting people IRL at dinner parties and such

1 Like

It’s so unfair that we decided not to run with it at the election. But now we’re angry!

1 Like

This makes me feel physically ill.
We all know it is a manufactured escalation.
Why the fark would we get involved?

3 Likes

Labor did! Part of the policy agenda that few listened to.

Because we always do, and our Laws give the PM the right to take us into these conflicts without taking it to Parliament.

Then we deserve to reap what we sow.

Will there ever be a time when an Australian government can act independently, instead of being a subservient lap dog pathetically trying to curry favour with the world’s biggest terrorist nation?

2 Likes

Think that is actually a rhetorical question Gwilty.

John Curtin took control of our National interests when he brought our Troops home from Europe in WW2 to defend against the Japs, and then probably correctly called in the Yanks to help us.

The die was set and we have been their camp ever since, with all Government and all Opposition with the exception of Gough being all the way with the USA.

Gough suffered the consequences.

1 Like

Well the only two PMs who ever did were Curtin (though acting independently from UK not US) and Whitlam.

Curtin died from the stress, and Whitlam (as we all know) was overthrown by CIA backed up by “our Gracious Queen” and Fraser’s Tories.

3 Likes

Syriana is on sbs right now, probably a few answers in that one.

1 Like

Actually, only the GG has the constitutional authority to authorise the deployment of the ADF into intn’l armed conflict.

Basically every deployment of the ADF in this century has been unlawful.

I might agree with your sentiment FO50 but am not sure that it’s ‘unlawful’. As I understand it, the GG acts exclusively on the advice of the “Government in Council” ie the PM and cabinet. So BF is right isn’t he?

Australia’s constitution vests the power of decision making with the Queen, in conference with the Governor-General. It is generally accepted that the Governor-General acts on the advice of the Prime Minister and the Federal Executive Council, comprised of all ministers and parliamentary secretaries.

This applies to decision making “for the execution and maintenance” of the Constitution and the laws of the Commonwealth, otherwise known as the “executive power” provision.

The extent to which the executive government can legally exercise its powers independent of Parliament continues to be the subject of significant debate. In relation to decisions about the military, it is generally acknowledged that the government has the power to declare war and deploy troops overseas, because of the executive power provision.

The executive government’s power can be limited or regulated by Parliament, in certain areas which are set out in the Constitution under the "legislative powers" provision.

Legal experts have suggested Parliament may have the right to limit the executive’s decision making capability for areas such as defence, because Parliament is specifically given the power to make laws with respect to the “naval and military defence of the Commonwealth… and the control of the forces”.

Clicking on the bold words takes you to references on this.

Facts are the in every conflict since Federation it has been the PM who has taken us into war. Some have been in concert with Cabinet many have not.

The Greens have had it as Policy for about 25 years that this power should be held by Parliament in a full sittings, and was adopted by Labor two years ago.

3 Likes

I’m reflecting the view of Paul Barratt who is a former Defence secretary and is an advocate for War Powers reform.

He has been quite vocal recently re Iran. Provides good insights esp in the dangers of engaging in another conflict in the Middle East.

1 Like

He was a hard line Liberal and had Howard’s ear. But when he tried to reform the Defence Dept structure and bring more civilians into defence policy formulation, he was rolled by the military establishment. Now, he’s a Green.

12 Likes

Global household incomes grow, while Australia languishes - how good is that!?

Australians are some of the more propagandised populaces on the planet. There’s no way this ■■■■ would fly in a democracy which actually had a proper functioning fourth estate which wasn’t captured by corporate interests.

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/while-global-household-incomes-grow-thanks-to-the-boom-heres-why-ours-keep-falling/

6 Likes