Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Carpenter and Kerr were good.

But if carpentar didn’t run it quick down the wing we lacked toward movement and would turn it over around the centreline.
Just think we lacked some ball control when we were in possession. And our defenders looked a little slow.

2-0 Brazil
And I got up for this sh*t.

The arrogance off the FFA to sack a performing coach months out from the World Cup.

2-1 now.
Going into half time.

They must win to get through to the next stage. Draw isn’t enough.

We’re getting killed on the counter. We’ve looked good with ball in hand, but nerve racking when we’re defending

2-2
Still not enough. Gotta win to get through to the next stage

Australia Lead 3-2 with a controversial non-offside ruling.

This Australian Defensive is gonna give me heart failure for the last 20 mins.

The best non touch in a world cup!

How the hell did we get out of that!

That’s the win.
The Socceroos could learn a thing about milking the clock down for the last 15 mins.

Slight tug of the shirt. Hit the deck.

Slow the ball down.

Play the ball out.

3 Likes

Damn. Thought they were playing tomorrow for some reason - great win by the sounds of thing.

Wow, they got there. Pretty action packed 5-min replay I just watched. Still alive.

“There were a lot of critics talking about us,” said captain Kerr.

“But we’re back - so suck on that one. We don’t listen to the haters.“

:facepunch:

2 Likes

Sounds like good old fashioned shithousery. Unfortunately sometimes it’s just gotta be done.

The old adage of “the opposition can’t score from row Z”
If in doubt hoof it out :grinning:

ha…

oh dear another one who cant cop criticism when its warranted…

gaffer tape is silver silence is golden!

wut?

its better say nothing cop the criticism and let the results do your talking…

the matildas would be one of the most popular followed been given plenty of credit in the last 4 years talked themselves up but when a performance is not up to standard well you just have to cop it.

gaffer tape on her mouth is always better then the haters we dont listen line lol

The standard has been set over the last few years. They have beaten most of the best sides in the world. Their ranking has them in the best couple teams in the globe.

When you get on the world stage, expectations are high. If you perform below the previous few years, then criticism is coming for you. Especially when a coach is sacked months out from the biggest tournament.

The media and Australian community rarely put a blowtorch on national women’s teams, but some dillusional overwhelming positivity even though a team doesn’t perform to expectation… On the Matilda’s Facebook page in the middle of the night, they were down 2-0 almost heading into half-time… staring down the barrel of World Cup elimination within 120 mins, and people are congratulating the Matilda’s on “the girls are playing well, and the nation’s proud of you”, which made up most of the comments on the Facebook page. This is a national culture of expectations being low, and just participating is enough.

For the first time after the Italy match, there has been a blow torch put on the Matilda’s from parts of the media… which is a good thing. It means the team has a level expectation that people expect them to perform. The stakes also went up much higher when they have the arrogance to sack a performing coach.

Clearly the team used the criticism to drive them in this match. But let’s not pretend that it wasn’t looking dire 40 mins into this match, when you’re 2-0 down against Brazil and must get a win to qualify out of the group stage.

1 Like

I don’t go for the delicate happy clapping approach, I’m glad they came under fire. Also glad they bit back.

4 Likes

A 4-0 win over Jamaica guarantees qualification into the next round.
Interesting that we could walk away with 2 wins and not make it through.

2 Likes