Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Should add i feel for the guy with what his father is going through.

Lot of upset Adelaide supporters last night.

You guys know you won the league last year yeah? Still got a good nucleus

Lot of upset Adelaide supporters last night.

You guys know you won the league last year yeah? Still got a good nucleus

Every reason to be upset. Have tight ■■■■ owners who sold our decent players for a nice profit and gloat about it but then invest nothing in the offseason. The recruits brought in were rubbish bargain bin specials not fit for the A-League. If the owners don’t spend money in this transfer window there will be a mass walk out of fans and boycott of games.

Saw the end of this on the news before and thought it was a “what if” scenario. Can’t believe they would do it, 32 teams is just the right balance.

I hated what they did at the last Euros with the extra teams and weird third place qualifying BS.

Money rules all.

What’s Italy going to do now that they can’t play for the draw?

Penalties after draw?!? England are a lot more screwed now. Havent i suffered enough

Wait until you get knocked out by Trinidad and Tobago or Canada

I actually like it. Gets more countries involved, and over time will bring up the standard in the semi-mid-range (40ish to 80ish) ranked countries as they now have a realistic shot at getting a ticket. More sponsorship/TV money for the countries that make it = more investment in their local programs = better standard. Bear in mind this is for an event 12 years from now so there's plenty of time to get ready.

There’s still the same amount of games (roughly) as now, but they’ll all have more meaning. I reckon the group stage carries on too long as it is.

Penalty shootouts in the groups is interesting, but I guess it’s there to stop teams from parking the bus to get through on a draw in the third game.

Makes sense for CONCACAF and CAF to pick up some bulk spots. They’ve got 30-something and 50-something teams compared to CONMEBAL’s 10.

Never mind the fact that 3/4 of the CONCACAF sides are minnows and wouldn’t beat a A-League side. Yeah I can’t wait until Canada and some other scrubbers are in the WC

World Cup expands to 48 teams fro 2026

What a joke.

Penalties after draw?!? England are a lot more screwed now. Havent i suffered enough

What a joke.

Disgraceful decision.
Already too many scrubbers in the comp, imagine how many more underserved minnows will make it now

What a joke.

Thats an awful decision. How long is it going to go for now. Probably take a month just to do all the group stages games.

On another note have they actually decided at what time of the year they are going to run the world cup in qatar? There has been heaps of talk about running it in winter, but that would screw up all over the european lgs

I actually like it. Gets more countries involved, and over time will bring up the standard in the semi-mid-range (40ish to 80ish) ranked countries as they now have a realistic shot at getting a ticket. More sponsorship/TV money for the countries that make it = more investment in their local programs = better standard. Bear in mind this is for an event 12 years from now so there's plenty of time to get ready.

There’s still the same amount of games (roughly) as now, but they’ll all have more meaning. I reckon the group stage carries on too long as it is.

Penalty shootouts in the groups is interesting, but I guess it’s there to stop teams from parking the bus to get through on a draw in the third game.

Makes sense for CONCACAF and CAF to pick up some bulk spots. They’ve got 30-something and 50-something teams compared to CONMEBAL’s 10.

Never mind the fact that 3/4 of the CONCACAF sides are minnows and wouldn’t beat a A-League side. Yeah I can’t wait until Canada and some other scrubbers are in the WC

Canada makes World Cup -> Canadians get excited and invested in the event -> increased interest in soccer -> improved domestic league -> better national team

It’s the exact opposite of what the ICC are doing with their World Cup. Actually using it to grow the game.

16 groups of 3, top 2 of each group make the final 32, knockout from that point. Penalty shootouts after every draw in the group stage. Wow.

Reckon they’ll overturn that. 48 teams is far too many and it let’s ■■■■ teams get in and devalues the whole thing.

Bit that fifa will care, more matches so more TV ratings, although qualifiers will mean less interest as some countries won’t bother with full strength squads.

Did I read correctly, 8 teams from concacaf?

Reckon they'll overturn that. 48 teams is far too many and it let's ■■■■ teams get in and devalues the whole thing.

Bit that fifa will care, more matches so more TV ratings, although qualifiers will mean less interest as some countries won’t bother with full strength squads.

Did I read correctly, 8 teams from concacaf?

Yep 8 from CONCACAF and 8 from Asia.
Laughable that they get the same spots as CONMEBOL who are miles better. Rubbish that the strongest conference in UEFA only get 2 extra spots

Leaves it really open as to who will knock England out. They can actually stoop lower even further than iceland now.

I actually like it. Gets more countries involved, and over time will bring up the standard in the semi-mid-range (40ish to 80ish) ranked countries as they now have a realistic shot at getting a ticket. More sponsorship/TV money for the countries that make it = more investment in their local programs = better standard. Bear in mind this is for an event 12 years from now so there’s plenty of time to get ready.

By that logic Oceania should have more spots.

Finally another win!
Good decision to pass up on the free Sixers tickets tonight and go to the soccer

Gah…
Sack the useless Dutchm… oh wait…

■■■■ off heart, the city is ours