Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Because Ange needs a kick up the backside. Great club coach but surely he must realise International football is a different kettle of fish and know that 3 at the back won’t work. Some of the selections were horrendous and he has his favourites that’s for sure. How can you pick guys that have played 19 minutes of football in the last 6 months or guys not even getting a decent run at club level?

1 Like

Saudis have a tough one next in the UAE. Need UAE to do us a favour.

One stubborn mother farker is Ange.

no idea where to put this.

BUT WTF WAS THAT BRASIL?

I could have buried both of those.

Select me Ange.

3 goals this season in State League 5 reserves be the proof

2 Likes

96000 at the game tonight

Took Brazil all of 12 seconds to score.

1 Like

“That was not in the script for Australia”

Now, I like Simon Hill but when are football commentators going to fecking realise football is not fecking scripted. It’s almost as vomitus a cliche as “the beautiful game”. Whenever someone says that, they should lose a month off the end of their life.

When are you going to realise that it is?

1 Like

I think the football purists see the game as an art form.
It’s about technique rather than brute strength like many other sports.

Many football commentators pride themselves on being articulate, as a representation and added feature of the game.

Many football commentators are absolute ■■■■ for brains.

When are the commentators and mainly the pundits going to realise we have a very average team…Yes I know its there job to pump it praise the team but lets face it were a world away from anything decent. The glory days are well and truly behind us…

2 Likes

I think we’re ok. Not aworld class side, but I think Postecoglou has us playing a really positive and attacking style of football. We won the Asia Cup which is no walk in the park.

IMO it’s a positive. As our past coaches have prepared for us to sit back and wait for the opposition to come to us. Atleast we’re taking it up to the top sides, and not in awe or putting the best countries on a pedistal.

The issue we have is not enough players are performing in Europe. Instead of going to Holland, Belgium, Sweden, Portugal, Hungary, Greece or Denmark. They’re chasing the coin to UAE & China.

2 Likes

I think the way people describe and analyse football is utter wank. I started following English football in the mid 80’s but it is true, the Anglo commentators are very professional (Latinos colourful) and have a more formal diction unlike say BT who refers to players in a yelling, nickname “he’s my best mate” kind of way or the nadir of AFL commentary in the Channel 9 days.

I prefer non league and lower division stuff these days which is anything but beautiful albeit passionate in their cowshed stadia. Aaanyway, I do like Simon Hill.

Touché, wristwatches from Italian club board members or those occasions in the 80’s and 90’s when Upton Park floodlight would mysteriously cut out in the 86th minute.

1 Like

The Socceroos blow…

1 Like

Ill give you an example of what you have said…The other night when playing the Saudis they extolling the virtues of a guy who had a cracking year at burton albion…

As you said too much easy money to be made for players these days!

In other news, Japan drew 1-1 with Iraq and UAE drew 1-1 with Thailand. So we’ve basically locked up at least 3rd spot (qualifier) and now just 1 point off top with games against Japan (A) and Thailand (H). Japan also play terrorists who are in second spot so if we can at least draw with Japan we should automatically qualify.

2 Likes

Whoop de doo!
Once upon a time the Socceroos were nearly or thereabouts the 1st country in world to qualify for the world cup.
Then our heads got too big for our shirts to put on,
our 2 left feet got too big for our boots and our balls shrunk to the size of chickpeas when we left red faced at the last world cup.
I did like em, I watched every match of their last 3 world cups but I have no time for them anymore.
Until they show something of their formerselves…whatever.

Not sure where to begin, so I will just summarise my opinion of your post:

“What a load of crap”

4 Likes