Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Red faced at the last WC? We had the group of death and held our own pretty well. Bar the 1st 15 mins against Chile we competed very well.

1 Like

So I guess we were really successful in not making it into the last 16 then. A real step up from the lose against Germany 4 years previously, and class above our lose to Italy 4 years before…Socceroos are a load of crap, go Matildas!

We has the group of death…boohoo.
We have gone backwards since Hiddink!

Australian talent has declined at the top end.

Its has, but we do need to remember that the 06 world cup squad was the best we’ve ever put together.

Even since then we have still managed to make the world cup against very difficult Asian qualifying (going to the middle east is tough for any squad), and win the Asian Cup on home soil.

The real concern needs to be at youth level. We’ve got major problems at youth level, most if the youth teams u/20s u/17s and so on don’t get anywhere near qualifying for major tournaments. We need to invest in youth development because our players can only develop once they head to the big European academy’s. Some A League clubs are starting to turn this around City has an academy and victory is looking to build one. We need to fix things at youth level before anything else

2 Likes

We have always struggled at Youth Level. Many of the golden generation players didn’t come on until later their mid 20’s I think we need to acknowledge that our players take abit longer to adapt at the highest level.

I mentioned before that players are too concerned about earning big coin. But I think you can say that career decisions of many players have been shocking. Many of the Socceroo players aren’t getting game time for their club. You cannot progress as a player if this is the case. So if your getting game time when playing in the bundesliga (I’m look at you Robbie Kruse) you better be damn sure your if your leaving that club, your new club is going to be playing you.
The other issue is most players are seeking big club or big money. Ie. a 20-21 year old signing for Inter Milan. You are not gonna get a game, unless your a Freek named Harry Kewell.

Or signing with a Chinese club and huge coin.

You can look at the Golden Generation of 2006 and say that was freakish to have so many players at the top level. But if you looked around Europe at that time, there were many Australians scattered around every corner of Europe.
You just don’t see that now.

Alit of the problem with youth is down the fact that we haven’t had a full time professional league for so long. I’m a big believer that in time these issues will be fixed. I love what WSW are doing. They have junior teams in the NSW NPL. This should be happening everywhere

Australia was very competitive in the youth world cups from 1991 to 2007. That 93 team that lost to Portugal in the semis of the under 20 World Cup was an excellent team.

2 Likes

Certainly has because of too much international influences at the bottom end.
From 1974 we had the makings to perfect over a 10-20 year period our own style of playing the world game, however because of beurocracy we have the crap systems in place now.
How about pisz off all the internationals and start promoting our home growns, fans will come back, money will come and development.

You have lost the plot.

Not the full sanga.

…then I’m just like the Soccerblues.

So we gonna lose 3-0, 4-0 or 5-0 tonight?

Wont be that bad. Germany are sending in their youth team

Mmph …

first of many I suspect …

Spoke waaay too soon. 1 - 1.

Rogic, … very nice,

Classy as ■■■■ finish from Rogic.

Pen to Germany

Dang

It would help a lot if we didn’t gift it straight back to them all the time…

and we always seem to give away a farking early goal!! Fark!

Rogic got skillz.