Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-v-thailand-video-highlights-bozza-unloads-on-ange-postecoglou/news-story/d4ad13d01c869a66674f27e5b04d10b7
Socceroos v Thailand video, highlights: Bozza unloads on Ange Postecoglou

Staff writers, FOX SPORTS
September 6, 2017 6:45am
ANGE Postecoglou has been at the centre of an all-time rant by Mark Bosnich as the Socceroos narrowly scraped to a 2-1 win over Thailand.

Mathew Leckie and Tomi Juric’s goals came on a night when the Aussies hit the woodwork three times and had two shots cleared off the line. But the result left them in a precarious position, needing Japan to take points off Saudi Arabia on Wednesday morning.

Bozza’s all-time Ange rant.

Post-game, Fox Sport football expert and former Socceroo Mark Bosnich unloaded on Postecoglou, his change of formation and change of tack that has put in doubt Australia’s place at the 2018 World Cup.

Here is Bozza’s rant, directed at Ange Postecoglou,

There’s something further at play. Since the game in Perth [against Bangladesh], there was a clash between the FFA and the PFA. Ange said something to calm the situation and got slapped down publically by the FFA. He’s getting paid seven figures so I can understand that – if I was your boss and paying you seven figures, I’d expect you to back me up.

Since that day he’s not been a happy man. We’ve seen that in his demeanour, in his interviews. Whatever issues he’s had with the FFA, it seems he’s taken that out on everyone

But his main job is tactical. I’ve always debated with Ange you should always have a Plan B or C. But he’s always said ‘my Plan B is to make Plan A better’. Fair enough.

He comes up with a back three, which for me is not a problem, but the problem is the timing. It was right in the middle of qualification where, it wasn’t plain sailing but we looked comfortable. Since then, we’ve played nine games but only won three – that includes tonight, the Confeds and the friendly against Brazil.

For me it’s confused the players, they’ve lacked clarity in so many of the games. We’ve just sat here saying ‘ok, ok’ but it wasn’t just about tonight, this is about all the games.

Iraq away was a wonderful example, it was when it started. [Ange] apparently had a meeting with the press people who were there and explained what he was doing saying ‘we’re looking forward to the World Cup’ – qualify for the World Cup first! Don’t start thinking about things like that – if we’ve qualified by tonight, then you can start experimenting.

Don’t be using the national team as an experimental laboratory. It’s not there for that. It’s too important for that.

We’re not England or Brazil or federations with a lot of money. We are strapped for cash and this game in this country needs us to qualify for the World Cup all the time. It’s not to be tinkered with for, basically, him to say ‘I can do this, I can do that, I’m thinking about this for the World Cup’.

We’re not even there yet!

At the moment, he’s hanging by a thread in my opinion. If we go through the play-off route there should be serious consideration given to the fact we need a different voice because those players, regardless of what they’re saying publically, aren’t responding like they used to.

#AngeOut
#GuusIn

Bosnich is one of those breed of former-player-now-in-the-media types, where he is an absolute banana most of the time, but when he goes on target within the narrow scope of his knowledge (ie: soccer, and nothing else), he is absolutely spot on.

LOL

Yaco smashed the nail on the head regarding our youth system a couple of days back, it’s diabolical.

Under the old NSL, while the league wasn’t great it understood the need to develop the youth and eventually send them overseas. Being overseas doesn’t mean you need to be playing for Real or Juve, it meant getting a greater understanding of the dedication and training required to get to international level. Speaking from 2nd hand experience, my cousin went to Europe as a teenager in late 90s. He started at Atlanta (serie B at the time) and was only in their training squad. He got $10k per month (pre phone signing fees obviously) and he said the work they had to do was intense, they are professional to the extreme. Later he went to Scotland in their second division but the point is that despite going over there and barely playing, he was able to understand just how much training is required, dedication and understanding of tactics and the hope is to bring some of that knowledge back home.

Nowadays the players are happy to either just play in the A-league or go to some oil country and earn cash while they can. We need to get back to sending our youth overseas but giving them the right foundation at the lower level to prepare them for the next step. At one point in the late 9ps we had nearly 200 players playing in various leagues in Europe and quite a few in the major leagues. Mow I doubt we would even have 50-60 and probably about 15 maximum in the EPL/LaLiga/German etc

7 Likes

Watching his press conference just tells me its time to go… hes carrying a couple of huge grudges me thinks!

Don’t go on about the Asian nations are getting better we are ASIAN CHAMPIONS…EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES…

What was the fallout between him and FFA that Bozza was talking about?

3 Likes

In slightly other news, what the ■■■■ has happened to Seth Efrica football? In last week they have lost to Cape Verde twice

They are just terrible. Pumped heaps of money into the national team when they were hosting the WC to get them to a half decent standard but funding has dried up since

He should of been sacked this morning.

As much as i cant stand arnold i would bring him in for the playoffs, might get the team a lot more organised.

Every time opposition teams go forward against us they look like they can score

Ange is trying to play a style that doesnt suit thr players he has got and he is too damn stubborn to change

Experimentation can be used in friendlies not in a WC qualifying campaign.

Sack this pretender now

1 Like

Wait a second…
Haven’t we tried Graeme Arnold already and failed dismally.

Would you bring Knights back to coach Essendon.?

1 Like

Australia will always struggle until the goals are made 50m wide and 20m high.

1 Like

Well if you’re asking me.

Give Kev a go, can’t stand him but atleast he will belt carnts who don’t conform

1 Like

And that’d be a good thing, we actually had a semi-decent side in 2006!

Seriously tho funding aside, it’s not like it will affect the talent level coming through, because I honestly can’t see how it can get worse than what it is now, and it’s been gradually getting worse with every world cup as our results have been getting worse. Exposure aside, I’m not sure it’s affected our nation one way or another, I know the A-League has done well more or less but our national team has been getting worse despite making world cups, so that kind of talk is just words to me tbh.

How awesome would it be to lose 4-12!

1 Like

Will still hit the crossbar sometimes

Need to get my girlfriend in as their forward coach. She’s scored 6 goals this year from beyond the penalty box. Watching the game with her the other night I asked what (in her opinion) they were doing wrong. “Kicking the sht out of it. No finesse in their finishing.” What’s her secret? “Put it where the goalie isn’t.”

1 Like

Anyone in this thread who doesn’t follow the work of David Squires really should be