Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Slater wins again.

If he goes surely he has to stop coaching Sydney FC immediately

Yep. You cant be coaching at both club level and international level. If they are going to go for an Australian coach it’s really only him or muscat that could do it.

Do you give him a second go at it after he failed with the best generation of Aussie players the last time he had the job.

Best to get an experienced foreign coach for the World Cup, and then re assess afterwards

2 Likes

That ‘selection panel’ of ex-Socceroos only met for the first time today!

Please no Graham Arnold.

2 Likes

If Arnold gets it, I only hope the FFA cause more mayhem and FIFA do us a favor and ban us on some technicality from Russia.

This is not AFL.

Our scope for a coach should be internationally, not local. You can’t tell me he’s the best coach available, in the world. In fact that is laughable.

Sounding more and more like it’s going to be Arnold. Just need to work out the compensation for Sydney FC, apparently. I can’t fkn believe that we would give him another chance. Would much prefer Tony Popovic if we go with a local.
That Ralf Rangnick guy sounds interesting. How about get him to coach for the WC with Popovic as his 2IC, with Poppa to take over as head coach after that?

EDIT: Tony Popovic about to be sacked by his Turkish club, so he’ll be available!

If I were Popovic, I might be leaving my coaching stint in Turkey off my resume though…

Nothing money can’t buy.

As if he didn’t already have the job lined up. Still pis_ed he left the Socceroos and the hopes of a nation on the table. Will always be grateful for what he’s done for the game here in Australia but have lost respect with how he handled leaving the national team.

1 Like

Totally agree.

Unfortunately money is far more important to more and more of our sporting representatives than ever before.

It wasn’t that long ago that it was an honor represent the country and we had success through lots of different sports. Unfortunately a paycheck seems to be the main priority.

I’m a very very casual soccer follower… pretty much only ever watch the Socceroos and even then, only when it’s convenient. Occasionally glance at the EPL ladder, but basically never watch it.

So what is the go with Ange? Why did he really resign? I’m assuming the soccer press is as useless as AFL, so it’s pointless paying attention to them

I think its fantastic that more Aussie coaches are coaching in bigger markets. The long term aim must be to have an Aussie Mgr in La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga or Seria A.

I rate Postecoglou as a coach after getting a dead set ordinary Aussie team to the World Cup.

1 Like

I would have loved it if have Ange moved to manage Rangers in Scotland, as I rate his managerial abilities. However the cynic in me suggests that maybe he moved for money and perhaps to be more hands on day to day and you cannot really get that as a national manager outside of tournament play. As far as I know there is not much money at Rangers so perhaps money talked for his appointment and that is why he went to Japan instead of Scotland.

He’ll buy the talent to fit into his formation and style, obviously.

Rangers is a tough gig, Mark Warburton was considered by some as a very bright managerial prospect. Did wonders with Brentford, nearly got them promoted to the top flight for the first time nearly 70 years. Did get Rangers promoted but was eventually placed on the scrap heap. Not exactly sure just how patient Rangers are? Might have been a fair challenge but maybe the old poison chalice.

I too, am keen to see if Ange can break into Europe at a half decent level and maybe onwards from there perhaps.

Grab your kit and GTFO Bouzanis you complete and utter moron.

1 Like

I rarely feel comfortable when he is playing and he had an average night then gives up that brain explosion. I would rather Velaphi between the sticks for us than him. What is wrong with Galekovic? When is he likely to be back?

1 Like

Van Gaal for the Socceroos? Has expressed interest in the job and see us as an “exciting project”, so that would mean he would like the job longer than just the World Cup? Despite his background managing the ■■■■■ I’d welcome him on board. Better than any of the local candidates for sure…

He has experience as a national manager, but if people thought Ange didn’t show enough emotion on the touch line. Van Gaal makes Ange look like a combination of Conte and Klopp.

If it’s between him and a local coach it’s LVG everyday of the week

that was a season killing move.