Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Anyone other than Arnold, please

1 Like

That would be a great result

1 Like

Brisbane Roar LOL.

Blaming a guy that’s quit the joint. Brave move.

Who is Bert Van Marwijk?

I’d honestly be happy for Popa to get the Socceroo’s gig.

He was the highest paid coach in Australian sports there for a while.

I can’t believe he’s not in the conversation more.

1 Like

He was the Dutch coach when they went to the WC final in 2010

He took Saudi Arabia to this years WC

Kind of surprised he would leave the Saudi Arabia job for the aus job, when he might only have it for the World Cup.

Will legit LOL if he doesn’t take Cahill to Russia

1 Like

Why did he leave Saudi Arabia? Specifically for the Aussie job or had he already left them?

He had already left. Could come to new terms with the Saudis, including them wanting him to spend more time there.

Hope Popovic gets the gig post-WC.

He’s the bloke that’s going to coach the Socceroos for the 2018 World Cup, …

3 Likes

As a Dutchman and Feynoord fan, I’m very happy with this appointment.

Especially when we were told Arnold would be coach 2 months ago.

Arnold will be the coach 6 months from now.

I wish it was Popovic though. He could go along for the ride with Bert to the WC to learn because he’s free at the moment.

Van Marwijk took Holland to the final of the 2010 World Cup. And very unlucky to lose to Spain in extra time with a Iniesta strike from outside the box.

I remember there was a fair bit of conjecture about the way that Holland side played at that World Cup. There was a strong emphasis on sitting back, as the defense was the weakest part of the Dutch squad, after the retirement of Vander Saar, Cocu and then Van Bronkhurst on his last legs.

Van Persie played with his back to goal and held the ball up. Then let Robben, VanderVaart and Sneijder work their magic.

That just won’t work for us. If Cahill is playing with his back to goal, the only player that is going to cause abit of trouble on the break is Leckie. And he just doesn’t have the composure to finish.

You can’t complain when you employ a high-quality coach for a short term project - Expect an Australian coach to take over for the next World Cup cycle.

:hushed:

Clearly a straight red, but had to go to VAR?

1 Like

The biggest problem I have with VAR is its still decided by the rubbish ref who are incompetent at their job in the first place.

A League would have to have the worst standard of refs for any soccer lge I have seen. The amount of awful stuff they just hand out yellows for is a disgrace.

How did the ref not give a straight red, and why hasn’t the linesman told him that’s a straight red as well

1 Like

Van Marwijk doing presser.

Says Aus teams mentality is “Special”.

Gallop says he already new our players well, and was therefore prioritised as THE target, … we got our man.

1 Like

Like.

WTF Oscar just popped up on my screen and scored against victory.

Yep, signed for them just over a year ago for about £60m. They also signed Hulk for close to £50m the same year. May be a couple of other Brazilians still there aswell, the club is bankrolled by billionaires and are splashing the cash