Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Better facilities to start hopefully. It’s well known AU spend well below the cap and don’t have a marquee player like other clubs so hopefully the owners can help in that regard. Think AU still has the lowest player wages in the comp

Would’ve thought that would be CCM? Although theyve got a min academy set up up there

We have a tight fisted owner who tries to pay peanuts hence why we have a large player exodus every season.

1 Like

what will the chinese consortium get out of it long term?

I’m not an A League follower at all, so I have no idea about this.

Sell a couple of Aaron Mooy equivalents to Europe and they’ll be ahead on the deal. (May take a while to find them.)

1 Like

Get money out of a communist country mainly.

Yep, would have at least played him in some friendlies. Need to play him a bit then hopefully send him to Europe.

Good to see the squad us made up of alot of overseas players. Need to reward those worry to better themselves by heading overseas to decent enough leagues

And cap him before Iran/Iraq (forgot which one) does

1 Like

Iran

He will also have to choose them as well. I know I’ve mentioned it a couple of times but a cousin of mine had dual citizenship and chose Australia because he moved here when he was 2 I think, came through the youth leagues in Australia and when asked who he would play for if given the choice he always said Australia because Australia did everything for him (AIS, paid taxes here, went to school here etc). Hope Arzani does the same

I believe he has said he wants to play for Australia. But things can change, particularly if he’s overlooked indefinitely.

Pretty surprised Arzani didn’t get a call up to be honest.

Van Marwijk is not about the future. He is about getting a job done for the next 4 months.
That’s it.

If he gets us through the group stage I’ll be amazed (it wouldn’t be a reflection on him if he didn’t)

Dont know about that i think we are a very good chance at making it out. Damage limitation first up agasint France and i could see 4 points being enough. Draw to denmark defeat peru. How bad we lose to france is the key

2 Likes

Sorry I thought this was the Australian soccer lid on thread

3 Likes

Yep the game against France is key.if we lose it can’t be by a big margin like against Germany.

Peru are definitely beatable. And Denmark are nowhere near the strength they used to be

1 Like

Aren’t you a Pom?

I still support the Australian soccer team, seeing as I live here and have for a hell of a long time

Would love to see us make the knockout rounds

1 Like

Just fix up your cricket allegiance and it will be ok.