Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

he would be the perfect choice for something like that quite frankly

Again, there would be a $ issue.

1 Like

He has picked up a bit more experience in the last decade, so I’m prepared to give him a chance.

1 Like

Arnold is a strange one. He failed with the “golden generation”. Since then he has proved to be a very successful coach here.

You would hope he has learned from his past. We should be very hard to score against in Qualifying, not sure how we will go attacking wise though

Sydney FC fans, are complaining that people aren’t giving him a chance.

They are quick to forget that he had his chance. He had his chance with a squad which is considered the best group of Australian players we’ve ever seen… and failed.

1 Like

I say that a lot and you keep telling me he is too tight with his money.

The way I remember it he kept on having his top players being made unavailable (Viduka & Kewell and others) by their clubs.

I agree that he had a chance previously but I would like to think that he has improved a lot and will be much better for his 10+ years since he was last in charge. I think it is a bit unusual to re-hire someone at National level. But good luck Arnie!

Yep. He’s finished as a manager at the top club level. He doesn’t spend enough for the size of club and the revenue Arsenal generates.

Graham Arnold becomes highest paid Socceroos coach in history

Ray Gatt12:00AM March 9, 2018

When Graham Arnold was dumped after the failed 2007 Asian Cup campaign, few expected to see him back at the helm of the Socceroos.

Despite rediscovering himself as one of the most successful coaches in A-League history, Arnold has had to carry the scars for almost 11 years.

But now it is time for redemption after the worst-kept secret in the game was finally revealed yesterday with his appointment as national team coach. The Sydney FC boss will replace Bert van Marwijk after Australia complete their campaign at the World Cup finals in Russia in June.

Arnold, 54, will become the highest-paid Socceroos coach in history, signing a base salary believed to be worth around $1.4 million plus various bonuses around the Asian Cup and qualifying for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022.

Dutchman Guus Hiddink was reportedly paid a base salary of $800,000 when he had the reins in 2006, but received a $1m bonus for qualifying for the World Cup in Germany and another $1m for getting into the round of 16.

The Australian can reveal Arnold’s deal was only finalised after weeks of negotiations over conditions in the contract revolving around Australia’s defence of the Asian Cup next January.

Still, money was never the driver for Arnold, who is delighted to get a second chance at a job he never gave up hope of returning to one day.

“I feel like I have come home,” Arnold, flanked by Football Federation Australia chairman Steven Lowy and chief executive David Gallop, said yesterday.

“I am very honoured to be sitting here. I am a very proud Australian, not only very passionate about my country but also about football.

“It is going to be a tough job, I know that, but I have a great belief, and I have trust in the people around me that we will do a great job.”

This will be Arnold’s second stint as national boss after he replaced Hiddink following the World Cup in Germany. He took charge for the Asian Cup, but the Socceroos were eliminated after losing in a quarter-final to Japan in a penalty shootout. Australia played most of the game with 10 men after Vinnie Grella was sent off.

He went on to coach the Olyroos and serve as one of the Socceroos’ assistant coaches under Pim Verbeek for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa before joining A-League club Central Coast Mariners not long after.

While acknowledging it was a tough period for him following the Asian Cup failure, Arnold said he has grown as a coach in the decade since then. Certainly, as a club coach he has had remarkable success, leading the Mariners to their first A-League title in 2013 then coaching Sydney FC to the Premiers Plate-Championship double last season.

“You learn from your mistakes and obviously I’ve made plenty, but I am a person who learns. My strengths are my man-management skills and attention to detail,” Arnold said when The Australian asked what he brought to the table the second time around.

“I am a completely different person to what I was 10 years ago. I have good mentors around me who give me a lot of belief and support.”

Arnold said it wasn’t the right time to ask about the playing style he would adopt with the Socceroos, suggesting it would be disrespectful to current coach van Marwijk.

“Now is not the right time,” he said.

“I hope people have respect for that. I don’t want to talk about things like that when it is Bert in charge. He needs to sort out what he needs to.

“He has a short time to get it done. I will have a conversation with him after the World Cup and after my commitments are finished with Sydney FC.”

Arnold, who still had one more year on his contract with the club, said he spoke with the Sydney players this morning and has no doubts his decision won’t impact on them for the rest of the season.

The Sky Blues are top of the table, eight points clear of Newcastle with five rounds left and are on course to become the first club in A-League history to claim successive Premiers Plates.

“I want to say I am 100 per cent committed to Sydney FC for the rest of the season. I thank the club for allowing me to take up this great opportunity,” he said. “As for the players, there won’t be any impact. They are very committed to each other and you will see we will have a great end (to the season) by winning silverware.

“They will be using this as motivation to make sure to not only they send me off as a winner, but to do the same for those players who will likely leave at the end of the season.”

Brisbane 2-0 up in sydney. Eat a ■■■■ Arnie

2 Likes

And now sfc get dicked by the VAR

1 Like

Bes hattie.

5-2 win over ccm

1 Like

Socceroos looked awful up this morning. I watched the first half (delayed) and accidentally saw the result and didn’t bother with the second. It’ll be great to go to the World Cup but we won’t even create a ripple based on our current form.

It was the first game under a new coach who knew we weren’t ready to play properly. I hope we do better tomorrow morning in our second practice game.

1 Like

Have posted a number of times about the poor performance of Australia’s junior teams in the last ten years - There is a connection between this and how it ultimately affects the senior team - Think some thing we can pluck players out of thin air and then feign surprise when the senior team doesn’t live up to expectations - The irony is the decline in the performance of our junior teams came under the stewardship of Postecoglu.

Saying our young team is sh*t isn’t breaking any new ground, it’s how to fix it is the issue.

It’s breaking new ground when posters whinge about Australia’s lack of success on the world stage ( excluding Asia ) in the last few years - It’s like this is a shock without acknowledging Australia has sucked at youth footy for the last 10 years - Fixing the youth system is a major challenge - To be honest I have no suggestions.

A small nation like us (population wise) needs to copy what iceland did the last 5-10 years with their coaching reforms.

good luck getting the know it all ■■■■■■■ dad at every sport club i’ve been involved with to do the extensive courses their youth coaches have done though.

Watching the Victory Adelaide semi-final in London. What a sorry state of affairs when these two can’t get AAMI Park 3/4 full. FFA and all clubs should be embarrassed with how they’ve handled their duties since 2014 (and probably prior to that).

I’m as guilty as any in that my interest in the league has completely disappeared in the last eighteen months despite my best intentions, but everything that got me interested originally, signing up as a Victory member and champing at the bit to get to the games each week is gone.

Don’t believe expansion is the solution to all the issues although no doubting it will help the complete mundaneness of the comp. There’s no real rivalry when you’re playing Adelaide four times a year despite what club marketing teams will say.

1 Like

Sunday evening doesn’t help, even AFL crowds are on the nose on Sundays at 3:30 or later for whatever reason.

The league is cooked though, if you cant get any traction at the start of a season you’re going to be pushing sh-t up hill for the rest of it.

There was literally zero hype or anticipation at the start of the season and its continued to the low point now of the finals being watched by no one.

2 Likes