Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

When is our WC squad finalised?

I may start going to the soccer again if smfc come back but won’t happen. Despite being by far the best credentialled, It will erode into both victory and city support base. Oh yeah - Lowy and ffa are a pack of ■■■■■.

Seeing what Caltex servos are looking like at the moment, I am utterly convinced that Cahill’s selection for the WC is more a FFA directive than a decision by Bert.

The Team 11 bid makes so much sense but the new stadium being so dependent on third party funding has the potential to work against them. Belgravia Leisure and South Melbourne bids are laughable. West Melbourne is a better shot for the next round of expansion in 2075.

If the FFA were smart (which they are not), they would realise there are two markets ripe for the picking from NRL/AFL radars - Wollongong and Tasmania (don’t @ me regarding St George Illawarra). If it were up to me, I would take Wollongong and Canberra for 2018/19 (since they have ready-to-go venues) and tell Team 11 and Tasmania that they’re in for 2019/20 to allow for their stadiums to be built. 14 teams, straight H&A fixture for 26 games each, happy days.

However back in reality, brace yourselves for Southern Expansion and Team 11 because of ABS population growth forecasts and DERBIES!!!

Will be a two div comp within 3 years I believe. Adelaide City haven’t bid just yet as they are waiting until it’s announced and they will look at entering in Div 2

I haven’t looked at the bid closely but why is their bid laughable?

I used to support them.

3 Likes

The amount of supporters they think they’ll get from outside their current fan base.

Yep, like most of the ethnic based teams they will never escape that tag. We have the same with West Adelaide submitting a bid. If you aren’t Greek there is no way on Earth you would support them

So did I, and nothing Greek about me. I used to love the noisy contests between them and JUST.

I did try very hard to keep out of trouble though.

1 Like

I’ve got a mate who’s Filipino and he supports South Melbourne.

I started watching soccer and played a bit when a teenager. Some mates went to Glenroy Tech and Rale Rasic was the PE teacher there; hence we sometimes went to watch him at Footscray JUST. But after watching them play some classic games vs Hellas, I watched Hellas more, maybe it was the Greek food.

My point was more that they aren’t likely to get new A-League fans. They’ll just be cannibalising Victory/City supporter bases. The number of people who don’t go to AAMI Park but would go to Lakeside is very small. Same reason I think the South Sydney bid is a bad idea.

Jamie Maclaren called into Socceroos camp.
(Tomi Juric has a knee issue.)

JMac needed to be in the squad to start with

Has the squad been announced yet? As in final 23?

Not yet. I think after Friday’s game against Czech Republic.

1 Like

Thanks, I have been reading about certain players being in and not seeing an actual final squad. Juric gets injured Mclaren in to replace him if he is out so I thought there must have been a final squad set.

Anyone watching the socceroos friendly?

1 Like

I would be, seeing as there’s no AFL on, . except, Rabbitohs V Cronulla is.

They look a class above in the first 8 mins.