Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

And who is funding that?

broadcasting and attendance is vital for this league.

It’s simply not ok to have 10,000 people attend a stadium with a capacity of 25000-30000. Atmosphere is everything in World football. From the telecast there simply is none when all you see is empty seats. For example: Sydney FC a f*cking disgrace.

The FFA Cup captured everyone’s imagination with sellouts stadiums in suburban grounds. So much atmosphere. Excellent TV coverage. This could happen in a Geelong or Hobart.

There will not be another Melbourne Victory, and they need to give up trying.

1 Like

Who’s paying for a 15k stadium in fkg Tarneit?

hardly anyone watches us(city) anyway. If the new club in melbourne takes off that might just about be the end of City too. we can barely get people to go to our games as it is. We stink on the field. The club is run terribly, we are used more as a feeder club for Man City than as a club who is trying everything to win things.

I’m also not sure there is enough talent to fill another 2 teams but thats still to be determined

City only pull 8-9k avg.

Now move that crowd half an hour out into the suburbs, away from PT. I reckon you’re looking at 4-5k avg crowd.

That has to be a big concern. Another 40 odd players needed for squads. They need to increase quality to get more viewers not dilute it.

It’s privately funded (only because it will be the centrepiece of a property development, but privately funded nevertheless).

I have no doubt that if Team 11 (Dandenong based) was able to organise their own stadium funding, they would have gotten the nod ahead of Western Melbourne.

Garrunteed to be made up of A-League journeymen… Nick Ward, Jeremy Brockie, Scott Jamieson, Dan Mullen, Liam Reddy… :roll_eyes: Some of these blokes have played at 5-6 clubs.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t stand that ■■■■.

1 Like

And you know, this is the A league’s biggest issue… the standard of play is still glaringly worse than that of 2nd and third div comps overseas. Extra teams means more dilution of talent. I’m all for expansion but without quality coaching programs, (there’s plenty of expensive money making ventures claiming to be of quality), the standard gets worse. We’re not used to spectating third /fourth tier sporting comps in Aus… I fear for the A league if the big solution to their ills is more teams.

Is any of that going to matter if nobody wants to go?

The other thing about Western Melbourne, is that their proposed marquee player is the current captain of Celtic, who is in 33 and whom I had never previously heard of. (Forgive me.)
That will have them lining up!

Not to me.

You haven’t heard ofScott Brown? Picture the sort of guy you’d expect to captain Rangers or Celtic…add about 20% of hard roughnut look…and you have him. Looks like he’d sprinkle broken glass on his cereal.

1 Like

33yo says it all doesn’t it?

See Fowler, R; Yorke, D.

There were a couple of options that were “asked” to withdraw their bids and in turn receive a handshake agreement that when the league goes to 2 tiers in 2-3 years time they will be offered entry. Adelaide City was one of those clubs

What’s their excuse for ■■■■■■■ over Tasmania?

As long as the new club(s) don’t become an elaborate tax dodge for bigger clubs, ie: Man City / Melb City, I don’t care. An away day to Tarneit, Hahah, ■■■■ me dead.

1 Like

Legit would take longer to get to Tarneit on PT than Adelaide or Sydney on a plane.

2 Likes

FFA are clearly idiots. May as well go back to NSL and let the ethnics belt eachother.

Fair enough. I think you make an excellent point about the comparisons between Canberra and the Gold Coast, however, from the list of expansion bids, I saw Canberra as the no-brainer on the basis it was somewhere new that wouldn’t cannibalise existing clubs. Most of the other bids just didn’t make sense to me