Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Triosi and Antonis should have been,

No idea how Kruse keeps getting games. Must be a really great bloke

Damn right.

Scottish soccer must be abysmal if he can be a first team regular.

1 Like

… and a time machine.

1 Like

Have you watched any lately?
Celtic and Rangers would struggle in the Championship and the rest are league 1-2 standard. Absolute garbage league

2 Likes

Any chance of Samantha Kerr being drafted into the squad?

We ain’t going that bad yet

It always has been.

Scott McDonald was a superstar in the SPL. Soon as he transferered to the Championship, he wasn’t seen again.

Rogic needs to get the f*ck out of that league ASAP. The only thing it’s useful for, is getting noticed by bigger European clubs.

I recall an interview with him awhile back where he stated he was approached by several Championship sides but turned them all down as him and his partner both loved life in Glasgow and how much he loved playing for Celtic. Commented on the large crowds and competing for titles whilst also getting to play the big boys in the CL whereas in the Championship you play infront of smaller crowds with not much hope of playing for anything with a fair percentage of clubs and hoping that you get promoted

1 Like

I can definitely see the positives in that.

I was thinking more about getting to a Dutch, French, Belgium or German club.

Clearly the culture is very different and you need to adjust to living in a non-English speaking country… but the quality is much higher.

Australian players seem to be only focussed on Playing in England, or a Champions league club… if that doesn’t happen then just settling in Asia.

Some fantastic Australian players have played their careers in places like Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Holland, France, Belgium, (or mid-to-bottom of the table in) Germany, Italy and Spain.

In some ways the A-league has made it far too comfortable for many of these middle range players, who should be playing some quality level football in Europe.

Someone like Mark Milligan should have played his whole career in somewhere like Holland. Instead he’s back and forth between A-League and Asia.

1 Like

and Scotland

Viduka, Larsen, Nakamura, Petrov, Ferguson were ok…Dembele, and Van Dyk. Boruc was a world class keeper… MacDonald recognised only as a poacher incidentally. Was never held in high esteem at Celtic. The league is fine if you’ve got some heart. Moore was good there, Mooy struggled (for St Mirren)… Rogic is just caka for mine…

He’s playing in europe every year. Even if they don’t get out of the group.
That’s something.

If he was playing at any of the 2nd tier Scottish clubs (ie everyone except celtic), sure, fair point. But currently he’s a first team regular at a CL club. And scoring goals there pretty regularly.

He tried for many years to play in Europe, but he didn’t meet the eligibility criteria until last year.

Arnold, …“If you’re going to lose a game, it’s better if it’s the 1st game, …”

blink Seriously??

1 Like

If he coached Victory then there would be no way he would have been hired for this job. This is clearly a job for mates at a bargain price and it shows

2 Likes

He’s got a fair point.

If or should I say when Arnold fails again with the national side. If the FFA insist on going with an Australian , Muscat is by far the best option.

His team attack with purpose and with a clear system.

Well, that’s true, isn’t it?
Better than losing a knock-out game.

Well, … I suppose, if you were arrogant enough to think you were ONLY going to lose one game for the tournament, … then sure

But I think he was referring to the Group stage, which you’d surely like to kick off with a win for confidence, and not being under psychological pressure going into the next.

Anyway, it just seemed a silly comment you say when you can’t really explain why you lost, and I got a bit EFC Robbo about it all. :wink:

Teams have lost their first game in a big tournament and still made the final and even won - Though I doubt this will happen in Australia’s case.