Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

One of the biggest chequebooks in the A-League and easy to recruit players to Melbourne or Sydney. Coaches that can get CC, Newcastle or even Adelaide successful are the ones who deserve accolades but even then I wouldn’t have an Aussie in charge of the National team no matter who they are though. Pay the dollars and get someone with experience at the top levels of world football

1 Like

I would much prefer they go for an international manager rather than home grown. But the FFA seem fixated on appointing an Australian.

If you had to choose between muscat or popovic to be national manager who would you go for?

Popovic as he has experience winning big trophies

1 Like

If they were going local then Popa should have been picked before Arnold

That was following the premise of going for a home grown coach and I did not want it to be Muscat. I honestly have no idea who I would like in the role that is a realistic and viable option.

“Lucky” to make the quarters of the Asian Cup after the penalty lottery. Then the Aussies put in their best performance of the comp and were “unlucky” to lose to a defensive howler. That’s soccer I guess. Anyway, thought Arnold was a step backward at the time and results to date haven’t changed that view. If FFA (who are farked by the way / Gallop needs to go) choose an Aussie coach, Popovic gets the nod over Muscat although Muscat’s AFC CL efforts have been good too so he knows something about coaching against Asian teams.

What?
Quite frankly MV’s efforts in the ACL have been an embarrassment to the A-League. Muscat has never got them past the round of 16 which is pretty poor considering how much of a powerhouse they have been

3 Likes

Qatar beat UAE 4-0 this morning. Yes, Qatar.
We couldn’t even score once against UAE…

How bad are we travelling?

3 Likes

Graham Arnold bad.

1 Like

Hard to coach a team when you don’t have the cattle. Not one above average in the entire squad, except perhaps for Matt Ryan.

Reckon our expectations are way beyond reality.

Maybe Graham Arnold is a poor coach, but I doubt anyone else would have done any better. Maybe it is just not over game.

5 Likes

I was pretty much of the same mind set with Arzani Rogic et al all out, …

… until this.

Not sure that this game means anything.

I actually suspect that many of these games between ME countries are fixed or biased.

In any case, in my fantasy World, I reckon if soccer was our only game and kids played it, then elite players in AFL and Rugby would be elite in soccer and we would win a World Cup with K Sheedy as Manager.

1 Like

I tend to agree with this.
It’s no surprise that we’re crap at soccer when the majority of talented athletes head for sports like AFL and NRL.
I’d rather the talented guys keep playing AFL rather than play soccer because AFL is simply far better to watch.

It’s nice if the socceroos win, but really I don’t lose any sleep if they lose…to anyone.

If I had a choice between Essendon winning a flag or the Socceroos winning a World Cup I would take the World Cup.

weird thing to choose between.

But I’d choose Essendon’s flag.

This should be a poll

1 Like

I think we have enough talent here for AFL and Soccer to thrive but we don’t spend nearly enough money on soccer.

If we continue to attract poor coaches then we can’t honestly ever expect to improve.

If this country took soccer more seriously I think it could take over from AFL but it most likely won’t happen.

Sounds like your opinions on soccer are as woeful as your opinions on films and actors.

2 Likes

Opinions are like a$$holes.

They are everywhere on this forum.

1 Like

Is that how that saying goes?

Close enough I guess.

Not weird at all. I have thought about the same thing and I would take the WC win too
(But only once and only because Essendon already has 16 premierships :trophy::crazy_face:).

If I had to choose between a WC win and EFC ever winning a Premiership again, it would be a different story.

I also have that same theory about how good we would be at soccer if it was the main game in Australia and AFL didn’t exist.

1 Like