Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

There is a competition in the Herald Sun on Sunday to pick the name for the new Western Melbourne A-League team. Being the inquisitive person that I am, I couldn’t wait, so I did a trademark search on the IP Australia website.
Here are the ■■■■■■ alternatives to choose from:

• Western Melbourne Athletic FC
  • Western Athletic FC
  • Western Melbourne Warriors FC
  • Westside Pride FC
  • Western United FC

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

■■■■ me. I hope there is an option for ‘Other’.

Imagine if/when Western Sydney Wanderers play Western Melbourne Warriors… A bit of a mouthful.

And Westside Pride is a bit… well… you know. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Peru have made one WC since the 70s and didn’t make it out of the group.

Settle the heck down.

They didn’t get in by beating Argentina et al. Either head to head or on points. There’s (edit) 10 countries in the SA confederation and they finished 5th, on goal difference - by beating superpowers like Venezuala and Paraguay.

There are only 10 counties in CONMEBOL (South America).

Personally, I prefer the Westside Massive
westside

4 Likes

and Australia have only made it to 2 more cups, whats your point?

I think you are missing my point, their qualification route means they are constantly playing against stronger teams the Aus in order to make a WC, it’s fair enough to think maybe we can knock them off, but the arrogance I heard leading up to the tournament that we SHOULD beat them is ludicrous.

They still managed to get points against Paraguay, Uruguay, Columbia to make this WC and those south american teams that didn’t make the world cup would destroy the teams that are in Asia

Cold hard reality is that We will always be just making up the numbers at a world cup. History says we will never be able to compete with nations where soccer is life.

Heck we sucked balls at the asian cup where some teams are made up of guys who work 9 - 5 jobs and you think the Aussies could win a WC?

1 Like

I dont mind West Melbourne Athletic

1 Like

Best option of poor bunch.

Nice strawmen.

1 Like

Posted your research on a facey group. Gone viral now :smiley:

1 Like

I hope the first one is a spelling mistake by you and you didn’t just copy and paste it off the site

Oops! Spelling mistake by me. (Now fixed.)

How about Petrochemical Mutants?

Me either, but think Western Athletic is even better. Punchier.

FC Athletic of Western

1 Like

Atlético Melbourne Occidental

Can we chuck a Real in there too? I think the Seppos managed to.

South East Ballarat Shitfish

I hope you’re not suggesting the government spend more money on football. Because that won’t happen. “Kids get inspired to play sport because Olympics” has been proven to be a myth many times over now.

FFA has heaps of money but they keep pumping it all into stupid business development sht. Two main things they need to do

1. Redo their coaching accreditation framework and get serious about it. Most clubs have no requirement for junior coaching accreditation, whereas in every successful footballing nation they do and it’s strictly enforced.
  2. Allow transfer fees, especially between A-League and NPL clubs. Only rich kids get into talent pathways at the moment because they cost an absolute bomb, Give clubs a different revenue option instead and they’ll take their pathway stuff more seriously.
3 Likes

Who said anything about being inspired?

It’s an arms race.

England outspent us to improve their results at Olympic level and it paid off.

Nobody gives a ■■■■ about national pride anymore. But pay people enough money and you will get results.

We need to get the best infrastructure in place and that means getting the best coaches.

1 Like

What reason is there for the government spending money on elite sport?

1 Like