Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

If the house prices keep dropping like they are they will want something to distract us.

1 Like

Ha

We’re saying the same thing (spend = good). FFA has the money but they keep playing make-believe EPL instead of governing the sport.

2 Likes

It’s a good play from them to hire a patsy.

Getting a good coach puts the focus squarely on the playing group and in turn the lack of talent in this country for which they are responsible.

By hiring a good coach you may get a little extra out of the squad but the reality is it would take a decade or two and a hell of a lot of money.

It makes perfect business sense to maintain the equilibrium.

My personal preference would be to call the new team WyndHam United and get them to play in claret and blue, but maybe that’s just me… :hammer_and_pick:

3 Likes

There might be plenty of kids playing but soccer is still a very distant #3 behind the AFL and NRL, and not that far in front of union.

In a ‘dream result’ ahead of the 2022 Qatar World Cup, Qatar beat Japan 3-1 to win the Asian Cup. Seems almost ‘too good to be true’. :thinking:

3 Likes

It’s a zillion miles ahead of Union. Whether you look at participation (where Soccer’s ahead of all the other football codes), crowds or ratings.

It all fell their way on the night, but it was all there.

Although, they’ve been questions if two of their players are actually Qatari and eligible. The AFC dealt with it behind closed doors and said nothing to see here, haha.

Fair effort from United after being 3-0 down and also down to 10 men since the 9th minute. Brisbane were reduced to 9 in the second half as United won 4-3

Not sure if you’re only counting football codes, but basketball is a pretty cosy 3rd at the moment.

Union is about 50th.

1 Like

I was more talking spectators and TV rights.

Ah okay. Basketball is still very close to soccer, and catching up fast.

Union is still 50th.

A league attendances (10k avg across the league) are a lot, lot closer to NRL (15k) than NRL is to AFL (34k).

the TV rights is all the NRL seem to care about, that’s the biggest income stream, and the NRL (360M pa) is reasonably close to AFL (415M) there. A-league gets about 60M per year.

Dunno what Union gets, but not much.

Word on the grape vine is Western Melbourne will be named Western Athletic

Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully it’s a good way out west, get more of the population.

So original with these names, aren’t they?

Hearts
Wanderers
Athletic
Reds…

It’s pretty much the same all around the world.

In Italy alot or just the colour of the teams. Bianconero, neroazzuro, rossoneri etc.

Liverpool and Man U are both referred to as the Red (though Man U also red devils).

Named after John Wayne’s jockstrap? Nice!

That’s sooo yesterday!

Now the papers are going with Western United., but who the fark knows?!
(Western Athletic sounded somewhat better IMO.)

I voted for Albion Albion FC.