Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

Massive news for Australian Soccer with the Socceroos being invited to play in 2020 Copa America which will be jointly hosted by Colombia and Argentina.
The Groups have already been drawn:
Group 1
Brazil
Colombia
Ecuador
Peru
Venezuela

Group 2
Argentina
Bolivia
Chile
Paraguay
Uruguay

Australia and Qatar have will both be slotted in to one of the above groups

4 Likes

Don’t any of these ■■■■■■ look at a map?

We’re in Eurovision, Asian world cup group and now Copa America.

I suppose they’ve never twigged that Israel isn’t in Europe either.

1 Like

2 Nations are invited to join the Copa America each year to make it a 12 team tournament. Australia and Qatar got the nod for the 2020 edition.
The funny thing is the major backer and sponsor of the Copa America was pushing for the tournament to be held in Australia.

1 Like

Why would the groups have already been drawn for the 2020 tournament when they haven’t even started the 2019 tournament yet??

Plus, this year they have 3 groups of 4 teams, but next year they will have 2 groups of 6? For what purpose?

Edit: OK, I just did some research. It’s to give everyone at least 5 games, rather than 3. North and South zones to give people easier access from adjoining countries.

Have gone to 2 groups of 6 as 1 group will play in Colombia and the other in Argentina so it should allow the teams to set up camp and minimise travel. Draw has reportedly already been done

1 Like

That’s fantastic news.

That’s awesome, great learning experience for the team and great preparations for the World Cup qualifiers

1 Like

Shame they didn’t do this when the golden generation was around.

Dont really get the whole invite thing, could kinda understand mostly CONCACAF teams previously, will be funny if a non contintent team ever wins it. Although if WC history is anything to go by, it is almost impossible to beat them over there.

Also tough watching being on at the same time as the Euros.

What’s wrong with Guyana and Suriname?

2 Likes

Because the South Americans want to have at least very easy team to beat in the competition.

Except that the Socceroos would slaughter Suriname and Guyana and would be on par if not better than several of the other South American sides

Maybe I meant QATAR

We ALL know why they were invited this year and next

1 Like

We flew on their planes to Europe and back. Service was good, but food was very bad; when we got to Doha on the way back it was Ramadan, so there was no grog served in the Business Lounge or probably anywhere. In fact, the whole Airport was so empty.

You mean the Asian Cup winners?

Not to mention French Guiana (if that’s even a stand alone country and not a French territory).
All part of the South American continent, but… more Caribbean.
Plus, all the good Suriname players play for the Netherlands! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They paid a great deal for that Cup

That’s interesting to know so I can avoid them during Ramadan. We have flown both Emirates and Etihad during Ramadan but never Qatar. On Emirates nothing changes onboard or at lounges during Ramadan whilst Etihad remains the same onboard but has no alcohol during daylight hours at Abu Dhabi lounges. Agree regarding comfort on Qatar, their seats are the great especially the Qsuites and their service is good but man their food is quite average and occasionally inedible. I think Emirates gives the best overall package out of the big 3 ME airlines and Dubai is the best city to visit

And also to be the 2022 World Cup hosts.

Back four with Jurman and Grant dealing with Son in tonight’s friendly can only end well