Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

no, 4 of the 6 third placed teams will go through. Mathematically possible for Australia to miss out if thumped by Jamaica and other results work against us … but that’s a very unlikely combination.

Thankfully I said ‘guaranteed qualification’ !

Platini arrested. World’s worst kept secret - there was corruption involved in Qatar World Cup winning bid. And another ex-Juventus player; must be something in the water there…

3 Likes

Sassuolo!

4-1, with 4 for Sam.

Brazil 1-0, but we take second in the group, Brazil will go through too.

4 Likes

Italy top the group, massive effort in group that contained Brazil and Aus

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with stripes but WTH is that away strip.
Sassuolo have had some good ones too, by the looks.

At least nobody will confuse them with another team while wearing their alternate strip.

Reminds me a bit of the old Socceroos ‘spew’ shirt. May induce vomiting. :face_vomiting:

The Tillys were a bit scratchy in places, got out of shape & let them in behind too often and were ultimately a bit lucky to maintain the Goal dif needed for 2nd spot, but looked very good o/wise for the most part.

Good game all up though, and fantastic finishing of some very good balls in by Kerr, but they won’t get away with being as loose as that against Norway.

Bit nervous about the next one tbh. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Cheers, I wasn’t able to watch the game.

1 Like

We belted Jamaica thanks to the World Class finishing of Kerr.
Gee she reminds me a lot of Cahill in her quality headers and ability to find goals from no where.

Our defence had so many holes in it. A better side would have put 2-3 more goals away with chances they had. Huge concerns over this defense. They just keep coughing the ball up in bad spots.

2 Likes

Strong start so far. Norway are gifting us the ball in the mid-third

Australia terrible - hardly created anything in the 30 minutes I watched. Dont know what to make of the reversal of the penalty decision.

Australia are not going to cause any trouble at a World Cup until they have a uniformed defensive structure.

Norway are set up defensively like a compact, tight and Cohesive unit. They are air tight and set up extremely quickly when they lose possession.

Structurely we look like scrambled eggs. Players are all over the place, they have no idea where they should be standing and no idea where their team mates are.

We’ll only ever get through each game by individual talent.

Showing some composure & fight in the second half
VAR causing more issues than it solves

Are going to make a change, or just let them keep playing long balls into the box?

Nobody touched that corner from Australia but somehow ends up as a goal lol

That’s got to be a penalty lol

Must have been offside - otherwise I have no idea how that wasn’t given a penalty for the challenge on yallop. Lucky escape for australia with that shot hitting the inside of the post and going across goals.

Lol VAR.

What is the point of this, other than taking the steam out of scoring a goal because they need to check for offside.