Australian Soccer Thread (A-League/FFA Cup/Socceroos/Matildas) (Part 1)

How is this the Women’s fault though?
They were getting large attendances to matches (albeit free entry), it was gathering much attention from audiences that don’t completely follow AFL football… but the AFL pulled back on the tournament. It naive to believe that it wouldn’t work, if the AFL were willing to invest in that league for the long term… like say Gold Coast and GWS??? How much money are the AFL spending on these 2 clubs… I garruntee it’s more than the AFLW competition.

You really are a much bigger dinosaur than I ever will be.

Why?
I’m actually suggesting that if Women have the capability to earn more than the men why can’t they?
I just don’t see why gender has to even come into it. Sports people should have their pay tied to the income they bring in regardless of gender.

3 Likes

BS Mr Aceman, that is not what you are saying, even though you may not mean it and are as pure of fresh snow.

It is the typical old white guy argument. Now you may be that naïve as you are from Adelaide but I Fark Carlton doubt it.

Blokes have been discriminating against women since they were cave men, and the argument that if they can do equal work then they should get equal pay is the one that a mysoginist uses to justify keeping the girl in the kitchen.

When I started a very long time ago in a sales job, there was only one woman in the role in the whole of our industry across Australia, and she was paid much less than me, and was much better at her job. she had to act like one of the boys to get any recognition, and put up with being harassed by every man in the place and many of her customers.

And in any case, the whole thing is chicken and egg; how do you build a following and hence advertising income unless you have airtime. And to get prime airtime, you need to have a professional product, hence professional, well-trained and talented performers. Build it and they will come !!

You are absolutely incorrect on this. I mean it.
The Socceroos are garbage currently and the Matildas are far outperforming the Socceroos on field. Hypothetically let’s say the Socceroos fail to qualify for the next couple of WC’s whilst the Matildas figure at the pointy end and hopefully win one, why shouldn’t they get the rewards that come with prize money, increased media contracts etc. Surely there has to be a provision for the women to earn more from any increased sponsorship, prize money etc?
And FWIW I now have 3 women in my “gang” at work now and they get equal pay as the men and 2 of them do a better job IMO. If it was up to me I’d pay those 2 more!
I have 2 females in management above me in SA and our big national boss is female and on about 40 times my wage!
In the future everyone will be classified gender neutral anyway :joy:

2 Likes

I will be a long time dead before there is gender equality.

In fact, I was told the same thing back in 1978 when the ALP was debating affirmative action. The biggest weapon the mysoginist males had was the feminist women in Labor who were affronted they could be given any favouritism in seeking Office.

Maybe you are pure as driven snow, but your comment

And FWIW I now have 3 women in my “gang” at work now and they get equal pay as the men and 2 of them do a better job IMO. If it was up to me I’d pay those 2 more!

would have those Members of Emily’s List reaching for the box cutter.

Well 2 of the women are brilliant workers but one is hopeless as are several of the males. I would love the good the dud ones to be given the flick but the best I can do is offer a few extra shifts for the good workers.

That woman was a victim of sexism, which we can all agree is dead wrong. I admire her achievements.

But consider the bit in bold.

Yes the AFL could never stand for subsiding clubs who couldn’t financially stand on their own two feet… umm…

Exactly.

Spend money to make money.
And I would say the potential return far, far, far eclipses what the GC, Sydney, GWS, or Brisbane could ever give the AFL. hundreds of millions have been sunk into all of them to date, with no sign of profits yet.

You may have seen from taking your grandkids to parks just how many more girls you see kicking footies than 5 years ago - it’s huge now.
Girls signons at local clubs are big business, I could easily see footy overtaking quite a few other girls’ sports in the next 5-10 years - which I can’t see for footy in the league states.

Long, long overdue.

1 Like

AFL response to investing in Women’s football: “there is no free lunch. Women need to work hard and build their brand to show they can be a sustainable business model.

AFL response to investing in Gold Coast and GWS: “here is an open check book. Take what ever you need. Ohhh, you want more first round picks? No problem.
You want an expanded salary cap? No problem.”

5 Likes

It was wrong then and some blokes like me are ashamed of our actions back then. Sadly many are not, and still exhibit poor behaviour.

Big game tomorrow morning. Win that and we are basically through to the next round and go through as top of the group so we avoid Japan.

2 Likes

Could still cop South Korea and or Saudi. Absolutely do not want a group with trips to SK and Saudi. Even NK is hanging around and an away day there will be a about as pleasant as being slapped in the face with a small mouth bass.

1 Like

Further spanner in the works is that if Qatar win thier group or finish in the top 4 of 2nd place teams the 5th best 2nd place team gets in.

If it ended now it would be Syria, Aus, Iraq, Uzkek, Japan, Thailand, SK as group winners and China, Jordan, Vietnam and NK as best 2nds with Bahrain getting Qatars group winners spot

Yep. And we won’t get Jordan again so it would be ideal to win tomorrow morning. Top 2 in next round go through so to get any of China, Vietnam or North Korea as the second best would be excellent.

Don’t forget last world cup qualification we stuffed it ourselves because we were playing around with the squad before we had even qualified which dug us further into a hole.

1 Like

Don’t Qatar automatically qualify as hosts ?

For the world cup yes. But this doubles as quals for the next Asian cup so Qatar enter for that.

1 Like

Yes. And barahian take their spot as group winners