Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

The Fauves - (SERIOUSLY under-rated, inexplicably written-off by many as a sort of TISM novelty act....) Ups And Downs Big Heavy Stuff Boom Crash Opera - (should've been as big as INXS, if not bigger) Weddings Parties Anything - (yeah I know they had some success, but they should've been WAAAYY bigger). The Clouds - (same as for the Weddoes) Serious Young Insects Hungry Kids of Hungary - (melodic pop-rock from the 00's didn't come any better than this...) Divinyls - (the band from the first couple of albums - Amphlett, McEntee, Ohlin, James, Grossman - was as powerful as you''ll ever see and it was - such a shame they imploded. The later incarnations were always a pale imitation). Matt Finish - (Short Note is still one of the best Aussie albums ever... pity the white powders came to the fore thereafter)
Divinyls underrated??

I was a big fan of WPA in their early days, but cripes the “dad” song made me want to puke. Put me off forever.

Bzark. Fantastic band.

King of the North

The Fauves

• (SERIOUSLY under-rated, inexplicably written-off by many as a sort of TISM novelty act…)
    Ups And Downs
    Big Heavy Stuff
    Boom Crash Opera
  • (should’ve been as big as INXS, if not bigger)
    Weddings Parties Anything
  • (yeah I know they had some success, but they should’ve been WAAAYY bigger).
    The Clouds
  • (same as for the Weddoes)
    Serious Young Insects
    Hungry Kids of Hungary
  • (melodic pop-rock from the 00’s didn’t come any better than this…)
    Divinyls
  • (the band from the first couple of albums - Amphlett, McEntee, Ohlin, James, Grossman - was as powerful as you’'ll ever see and it was
  • such a shame they imploded. The later incarnations were always a pale imitation).
    Matt Finish
  • (Short Note is still one of the best Aussie albums ever… pity the white powders came to the fore thereafter)
1 Like

Rocket Science for mine, cracking band ( Fun fact: Roman, the singer and Tim were in the same band as 10 year olds)

Yep, I had a bit to do with Tim Hemensley before his demise, certainly did…obviously My Pal, but man Persecution Blues is a TOOON

Bump.
Awesome thread.
Would read again.

The Ritual. We popularised underatedness.

Lord/Dungeon
If they’d started a decade earlier or were European they would have been massive (in metal terms)

Dungeon was awesome. They really lacked something when they became Lord. I think they lost their drummer and guitarist which is why they changed name.

Lord Tim was also a bit of a d!ck

Well he does call himself “lord” lol

1 Like

Did TISM get a mention?

Magic Dirt
Machine Gun ■■■■■■■■
Tumbleweed
Pollyanna…Pale Grey Eyes is a classic song
Cordrazine

2 Likes

Violetine went alright, these guys too:

2 Likes

Rail. They were so much more than just the band who sang the song about smoking drugs and getting drunk. Both their albums were rippers.

Waikiki

Perhaps not underrated but I had a crush on the lead singer when I was younger?

1 Like

The Beautiful Girls.

Periscopes is a great tune.

2 Likes

Oh man I listened to that Beautiful Girls album soooo many times.

I’ve never gone out of my way to listen to Empire of the Sun but I loved The Sleepy Jackson.

2 Likes

The Sleepy Jackson, another to the list.

Empire of the sun are incredible if you’ve dropped a few ‘Jake Bradys,’ but tiresome outside of that.

1 Like

I missed this thread the first time around. I’ll add a few that spring to mind:

Providence - easily the most interesting of the mid-90s punk/hardcore/Arthouse scene for me. Fantastic ideas, aggression, and occasional bursts of melody. The couldn’t get any radio traction for their only cd and disbanded. Had tonnes of potential.

Clowns Of Decadence - seemingly on every festival bill whenever I went to Adelaide, awesome live show, tight musicians, but when they’d come to Melbourne they’d play for about 20 of us at The Grainstore.

These bands did well at the time, but perhaps don’t get picked up by listeners trawling back through local musical history. Still very enjoyable:
Single Gun Theory
Glide
Pel Mel

I always thought Screamfeeder had songs good enough to cross over into mainstream radio play.