Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

Any Le Sect Rouge fans?

My Disco, who I think are still around, are pretty underrated. 

1 Like

Kevin Borich Express!

Kids in the Kitchen. Brilliant debut album, vanished almost without a trace as the world moved on from the New Romantics.

I was just thinking that last night as Bitter Desire randomed up on my media player.

Rail.

Nursery Crimes.

Happy Hate Me Nots.

Agree with earlier posters re Sidewinder and Front End Loader. Got to see them both just the once and both were great gigs.

I could never understand how Front End Loader couldn’t garner any support from commercial radio. And after having a few beers with them one night at the espy, it appears neither could they. Somebody like triple m would have flogged their sound to death.

I’m also chucking The Offcuts into this thread.

Kids in the Kitchen. Brilliant debut album, vanished almost without a trace as the world moved on from the New Romantics.

Not sure they were under-rated.

Did their album go top ten?

I was a fan though.

radiobirdman I guess...
hmm
maybe magic dirt

I think they were inducted into the music hall of fame, but yeah, still not widely appreciated IMO.

Hard Ons were great live.

Can't name one of their songs but went to see them several times none the less.

She's A Dish is awesome.

Kevin Borich Express!

l still prefer his work with The LA De Das, who were also under rated, and one time l reckon were the best rocking band in Oz. 

Also the Machinations from the 80's were great litlte outfit. From 1984 l picked up a 12" single by a Sydney band called Silent Running the title was Emotional Warfare, it was simply huge, as big a sound as Tears For Fears. Anyone from that era should look them up, you won't be disappointed. 

From around 1970 another Sydney band that was also under rated was Khavas Jute (l don't know what the name means). They put out a single, Free, which l bought and an album, Open Road,  which l didn't. The album was rereleased about 20 years later on CD, which l picked up. They had a twin guitar set up with Tim Gaze (who also played for Aerial / Murtceps at one stage). 

I will come up with 3.   Or maybe 4.

First is a 70s outfit called the Radiators.     I caught a show they did on the sunshine coast about 5 years back and the old fellas were still rocking hard.

Second is a rockabilly band called the Redliners.   I discovered them in pubs in Fitzroy in the mid 90s.   Very much in the Stray Cats mould,  they got me onto a dance floor which is no mean feat.

Finally is a solo act by the name of Rob Clarkson.   No one in the world writes teen angst better.  And I actually think he may be Australia's best lyricist.     After a few years struggling to break through he got together with the creative half of tlot tlot to form Ruck Rover.  Who are also underrated,  though they got a bit of airtime on JJJ in the late 90s.

WTF is happening here. Is it just name a band? Radio Birdman under rated - yeah right. They were significant in their day. hardly under rated. Ditto The Hard Ons, ditto Kevin Borich Express, ditto The Radiators, ditto Kids in the Kitchen. People seem to be confusing "short lived" with "under rated."

WTF is happening here. Is it just name a band? Radio Birdman under rated - yeah right. They were significant in their day. hardly under rated. Ditto The Hard Ons, ditto Kevin Borich Express, ditto The Radiators, ditto Kids in the Kitchen. People seem to be confusing "short lived" with "under rated."

Kevin Borich Express is still performing, and we booked him, some 15 months ago, and watched as Kevin & Harry Brus had a competition as to who could turn their onstage amp up higher. I book bands every week, and find that, as a performer, he is still seriously under rated when compared with other "heritage" acts. As CJ said, I preferred him in the La De Da's but as the Express, he still today struggles for recognition.

Lastly, perhaps it may have something to do with his management! Who knows in the world of entertainment.

Lolz.
Epic rant

And "Awesome" with "average"

Where's your example of a universally respected and adored yet under appreciated group then, oh great sage of all things and final arbiter of taste?

She's A Dish is awesome.

There goes one of the creeps that hassled my girlfriend
Wog food
Then she kissed me - they also did an Arabic version, on the B sides compilation, works really well
(Every time I hear) Techno (I feel like death)
Ripping band

Charter 77. Played about a bazillion gigs, anyone who went to a punk gig between 2000 &2008 or so would’ve seen them play a support

Glen and the Peanutbutter men

Mutiny, who were superseded by…

The Currency (still around, genuinely good band who I don’t think got any airplay ever, even though 4-5 songs off the album and a couple of others are genuinely single-able)