Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

I would say the Stones are R&B, but go back to the 60s and you will find people who say they are peverting the meaning of R&B, and that it means gospel, soul and blues.

I would say the Stones are R&B, but go back to the 60s and you will find people who say they are peverting the meaning of R&B, and that it means gospel, soul and blues.

You just gave me an image of people in 50 years time hailing "All The Single Ladies" as a classic Blues anthem.

Yeah…some of these arguments against popular music today seem pretty weak when you go here.

http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts.htm

It's hardly surprising that people seem to think that the music they listened to in their formative years was a golden era. Taste is subjective and is informed by the events and trends of your youth. Commercial interests have had a stake in manfucturing music for centuries, and not always for the detriment of the product. If you think that your opinion on music somehow has greater validity than the next persons, then I suggest you are missing the point. Besides, everyone knows that music peaked when Led Zep played Earls Court in 75!

I know your comment is partly tongue in cheek, but how do you measure the validity of a statement such as "modern songs are crap"?

If my golden era of music was when I was say 10-22yo (book ended from say Slippery When Wet to Californication), how much impact is modern music having on 10-22yo's right now in comparison?

Are kids these days listening to more music these days? Give they have more access to it (free via youtube/internet/filesharing/iphones plus more festivals, more touring bands, music TV channels, etc) they should be listening to more music than those of us who could only share with people they physically met up with (dubbing tapes etc) which severely limited people like me who lived in regional areas.

Then again this meant that you treated every album/tape etc like a priceless commodity and you actually looked at the art work etc and listened to whole records not just selective songs (you couldn't just skip ahead 3 songs in an instant like you can now)... Today's music just seems more disposable...

AC/DC

O, you wanted horribly underrated? Sorry...

I don't get AC/DC bashing.

Boooooo!  Status Quo are worthy of my derision!  Um...

How about what MTV calls R&B?

Rofl. Those muppetts try and tell you Beyonce is r&b.

I've r&b'd over her.

AC/DC

Hey, they've released the same album over and over their entire career and kept selling millions. Know your audience.

AC/DC

Hey, they've released the same album over and over their entire career and kept selling millions. Know your audience.

Or maybe they just kept on making the music that they like without trying to follow trends or worrying about ■■■■■ abstract concepts.

Just spent the last hour here at work in a different department. They had mix 101 (or TT, or whatever it is) playing…

Nah sorry, there is something genuinely disturbing about modern pop music.

How about what MTV calls R&B?

Real R&B!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcq93txBdtM

AC/DC

Bull ■■■■. AC/DC Under Bon Scott progressed. Ride on doesn't fit on TNT. Rock n Roll singer doesn't fit on Back in black by a mile.

AC/DC

At least they are man enough to admit it, plenty others wouldn't (cough.... Coldplay.... cough..). 

I remember an interview with Angus Young where the interviewer asked him "how do you react to the allegation that AC/DC have done nothing more than release the same album 15 times" to which he responded "nah bullsh1t, it's been 16".  They're not entirely my cup of Twinings, but I kinda had some admiration for him/them after hearing that.

I'm sure not criticising them for it.

I think the other issue with todays music (possibly moreso than ever before) is that it's about instant gratification.

Mainstream "Songs" you here on the radio these days are essentially catchy ideas that are meant to make you go "oh yeah, that's a cool little rhyme" or "woah that's a bit raunchy" or "that's a funky little sound effect". There's not much substance or nuance that you won't pick up until the 10th time you've listened to the song, it's all chorus, repetitive and mainlined into your skull, like advertising jingles.

Most people complaining about music today would probably agree that a lot of today's pop/R&B music won't really stand the test of time as there's no real emotion, and it's packaged with of what the 'artist' is wearing , what's happening in the film clip, what's the latest story in the tabloids etc.

Back in my golden era you had the record/tape/CD and that was about all you had to go on, other than a Rolling Stone article if you were lucky. The rest you had to use your imagination for while listening intently to the songs and pouring over the lyrics and album artwork.

I think the other issue with todays music (possibly moreso than ever before) is that it's about instant gratification.

Mainstream "Songs" you here on the radio these days are essentially catchy ideas that are meant to make you go "oh yeah, that's a cool little rhyme" or "woah that's a bit raunchy" or "that's a funky little sound effect". There's not much substance or nuance that you won't pick up until the 10th time you've listened to the song, it's all chorus, repetitive and mainlined into your skull, like advertising jingles.

Most people complaining about music today would probably agree that a lot of today's pop/R&B music won't really stand the test of time as there's no real emotion, and it's packaged with of what the 'artist' is wearing , what's happening in the film clip, what's the latest story in the tabloids etc.

Back in my golden era you had the record/tape/CD and that was about all you had to go on, other than a Rolling Stone article if you were lucky. The rest you had to use your imagination for while listening intently to the songs and pouring over the lyrics and album artwork.

That is because music has become something to consume here and now, rather than something to come back to and appreciate again and again over a sustained period of time. 

Indeed - the art of subtlety has been lost in the relentless pursuit of "the riff". 

The producers and labels are regularly to blame.  Beyond the obviousness of the hooks being served up, most everything has been sterilised as a result of production teams which are hellbent on:

a) airbrushing everything to within an inch of its life and

b) mastering everything so compressed and "hot" that the sound is completely brick-walled. 

All designed so that the songs sound as loud as everything else on Johnny Teen's mp3 player.  It literally tires your ears.

People with naturally quite good voices (e.g. Katy Perry - her songs are disposable pap but, yes, she can actually hold a note) are being corrected to sound like robots.  Even things which are not designed for commercial radio are now being tempo and (especially) vocal corrected to buggery, and that's where I draw the line.  I accept that FOX-FM fare is (and forever has been and will be) polished, buffed and polished again, but when this philosophy starts spilling over into rock n' roll?  Come on....

The humanity of rock n' roll as much about the imperfections - the bum vocal notes, the drummer going in and out of time, the missed guitar riff, the wide dynamic range - as it is the perfection.  Apply a metronome to some of great historic drummers and you'll find the timing's all over the shop, and that what made it great.

Manufactured pop isn't new. We had the Monkees in the 60s, the Bay City Rollers in the 70s, New Kids on the Block in the 80s, Spice Girls in the 90s, Britney in the 00s and One Direction recently. Record companies had music factories that produced jazz and ragtime early in the 20th Century. Nashville and Motown followed suit with staff writers churning out the hits. Despite the commercial interests that drove it, there was plenty of good music produced.

What is great about music today is that anyone with a computer can make a record. Someone like Skrillex, who is enormously talented, but a reclusive nerd, would have had little chance of achieving what he has 10 years ago. In the 50s and 60s especially, artists had little control over their image or the music that they released. So I'm not buying this nonsense about how music was once more pure or special in years gone by. Today more than ever the music released reflects the ideas of the artists.

The accidental feedback in Nirvana’s cover of TMWSTW is as much a part if the song as anything else.

I wait for it like I wait for that three second guitar lick in Hotel California.

LIST OF TYPE OF MUSIC | MUSIC GENRES

• Alternative
    • Alternative Rock
    • College Rock
    • Experimental Rock
    • Goth Rock
    • Grunge
    • Hardcore Punk
    • Hard Rock
    • Indie Rock
    • New Wave
    • Progressive Rock
    • Punk
  • Blues
    • Acoustic Blues
    • Chicago Blues
    • Classic Blues
    • Contemporary Blues
    • Country Blues
    • Delta Blues
    • Electric Blues
  • Country
    • Alternative Country
    • Americana
    • Bluegrass
    • Contemporary Bluegrass
    • Contemporary Country
    • Country Gospel
    • Honky Tonk
    • Outlaw Country
    • Traditional Bluegrass
    • Traditional Country
    • Urban Cowboy
  • Dance
    • Breakbeat
    • Dubstep
    • Exercise
    • Garage
    • Hardcore
    • House
    • Jungle/Drum‘n'bass
    • Techno
    • Trance
  • Easy Listening
    • Bop
    • Lounge
    • Swing
  • Electronic
    • Ambient
    • Downtempo
    • Electronica
    • IDM/Experimental
    • Industrial
  • Hip-Hop/Rap
    • Alternative Rap
    • Dirty South
    • East Coast Rap
    • Gangsta Rap
    • Hardcore Rap
    • Hip-Hop
    • Latin Rap
    • Old School Rap
    • Rap
    • Underground Rap
    • West Coast Rap
  • Indie Pop
  • J-Pop
    • J-Rock
    • J-Synth
    • J-Ska
    • J-Punk
  • Jazz
    • Avant-Garde Jazz
    • Big Band
    • Contemporary Jazz
    • Cool
    • Crossover Jazz
    • Dixieland
    • Fusion
    • Hard Bop
    • Latin Jazz
    • Mainstream Jazz
    • Ragtime
    • Smooth Jazz
    • Trad Jazz
  • Latino
    • Alternativo & Rock Latino
    • Baladas y Boleros
    • Brazilian
    • Contemporary Latin
    • Latin Jazz
    • Pop Latino
    • Raíces
    • Reggaeton y Hip-Hop
    • Regional Mexicano
    • Salsa y Tropical
  • Pop
    • Adult Contemporary
    • Britpop
    • Pop/Rock
    • Soft Rock
    • Teen Pop
  • R&B/Soul
    • Contemporary R&B
    • Disco
    • Doo Wop
    • Funk
    • Motown
    • Neo-Soul
    • Quiet Storm
    • Soul
  • Reggae
    • Dancehall
    • Dub
    • Roots Reggae
    • Ska
  • Rock
    • Adult Alternative
    • American Trad Rock
    • Arena Rock
    • Blues-Rock
    • British Invasion
    • Death Metal/Black Metal
    • Glam Rock
    • Hair Metal
    • Hard Rock
    • Metal
    • Jam Bands
    • Prog-Rock/Art Rock
    • Psychedelic
    • Rock & Roll
    • Rockabilly
    • Roots Rock
    • Singer/Songwriter
    • Southern Rock
    • Surf
    • Tex-Mex
  • Singer/Songwriter
    • Alternative Folk
    • Contemporary Folk
    • Contemporary Singer/Songwriter
    • Folk-Rock
    • New Acoustic
    • Traditional Folk

And I thought it was just music! No wonder we can get confused about the style of music that is on offer.