Awesome Aussie Bands that were horribly underrated

Lol at one sub-genre of metal…which is hair metal.

So many catagories to choose from.

theres a cool webpage where it list all these genres, in one massive page, time line running down the side, and links between each sub genre. then when you click on each one it gives sample of a track from a band in that genre. its both visually interesting, and nice to hear what is considered indicative of the genre.

ill have a look for it, but it was on FB not long ago.

I think the other issue with todays music (possibly moreso than ever before) is that it's about instant gratification.
Mainstream "Songs" you here on the radio these days are essentially catchy ideas that are meant to make you go "oh yeah, that's a cool little rhyme" or "woah that's a bit raunchy" or "that's a funky little sound effect". There's not much substance or nuance that you won't pick up until the 10th time you've listened to the song, it's all chorus, repetitive and mainlined into your skull, like advertising jingles.
Most people complaining about music today would probably agree that a lot of today's pop/R&B music won't really stand the test of time as there's no real emotion, and it's packaged with of what the 'artist' is wearing , what's happening in the film clip, what's the latest story in the tabloids etc.
Back in my golden era you had the record/tape/CD and that was about all you had to go on, other than a Rolling Stone article if you were lucky. The rest you had to use your imagination for while listening intently to the songs and pouring over the lyrics and album artwork.

That is because music has become something to consume here and now, rather than something to come back to and appreciate again and again over a sustained period of time.

Hence why I say people like Miley Cyrus are actually clever business prople. Her music's shithouse but she knows how to "cater" to the market (with the assistance of publicity stunts). Lady Gaga the same, although she seems to be falling off the radar a bit. Then you've got Katy Perry and rihanna who are basically the face of women needing to be objectified in order to sell virtually anything in mainstream. Not to say there's not a time and place for being scantily-clad, but I swear every time I see Rihanna she's always half naked, otherwise I suppose she'd be a useless commodity to her record company.
Regarding Beyonce, its a shame she releases so many stupid songs, its a waste of a great voice. Her sister Solange has actually gone a bit more down the "non-mainstream" route.

That list up there is irrelevant. No grindcore. No crust punk. No doom. No aggrotech. No coldwave. No powerviolence. No power electronics. no power metal.

So it can ■■■■ right off.

We know there are many genres.

My argument is what gets chosen to be promoted by the music corporates has clearly gotten worse. It’s like Mcdonalds instead of a nice home cooked roast.

The 90s set least had more home cooked roasts then it has these days.

An example being that the industry promoted good songwriters, substance over style, amongst the cheese that existed back then.

There is a good Zappa interview that talks about this.

And I disagree with that.

A lot.

You’re talking about what you chose to listen to in the nineties, not what were big sellers.

You could choose to listen to Triple M right now if you wan to hear rock. It’s not like you have to seek ou anonymous bands on the Internet.

What years’ top twenty selling singles are you talking about being of consistent high, or even okay, quality?

I’d truly like an example.

I think the other issue with todays music (possibly moreso than ever before) is that it's about instant gratification.
Mainstream "Songs" you here on the radio these days are essentially catchy ideas that are meant to make you go "oh yeah, that's a cool little rhyme" or "woah that's a bit raunchy" or "that's a funky little sound effect". There's not much substance or nuance that you won't pick up until the 10th time you've listened to the song, it's all chorus, repetitive and mainlined into your skull, like advertising jingles.
Most people complaining about music today would probably agree that a lot of today's pop/R&B music won't really stand the test of time as there's no real emotion, and it's packaged with of what the 'artist' is wearing , what's happening in the film clip, what's the latest story in the tabloids etc.
Back in my golden era you had the record/tape/CD and that was about all you had to go on, other than a Rolling Stone article if you were lucky. The rest you had to use your imagination for while listening intently to the songs and pouring over the lyrics and album artwork.

The year Zappa put out Hot Rats, the year Woodstock was on, 1969... Top chart song "Sugar Sugar" by The (animated, IIRC) Archies.
People can keep posting the same thing, and they'll all be wrong. It's been happening half a century at least. Jingles and gimmicks and low-rent, lightweight music always has been made and always will be.
Not new

Not.

New.

Capeesh?

Pick a year, pick an album/band, check the highest selling singles that year or month you’ll find some absolute crap, written to sell.

A lot.
You're talking about what you chose to listen to in the nineties, not what were big sellers.
You could choose to listen to Triple M right now if you wan to hear rock. It's not like you have to seek ou anonymous bands on the Internet.
What years' top twenty selling singles are you talking about being of consistent high, or even okay, quality?
I'd truly like an example.

Easy.
1996/97 charts
Oasis - Champagne Supernova
No Doubt - Don't Speak
Prodigy - Breathe
Garbage - Vow
Tonic - If You could Only See
Faith No More - Ashes to Ashes
Bee Gees - Alone
Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life
Will Smith - Men in Black
Presidents of the United States - Peaches
Nada Surf - Popular
Compare it to today's commercial crap.

A lot.
You're talking about what you chose to listen to in the nineties, not what were big sellers.
You could choose to listen to Triple M right now if you wan to hear rock. It's not like you have to seek ou anonymous bands on the Internet.
What years' top twenty selling singles are you talking about being of consistent high, or even okay, quality?

Easy.
1996/97 charts
No Doubt - Don't Speak
Prodigy - Breathe
Garbage - Vow
Bee Gees - Alone
Nada Surf - Popular

I can't tell if you're joking with that list or not.

A lot.

Easy.
1996/97 charts
No Doubt - Don't Speak
Prodigy - Breathe
Garbage - Vow
Bee Gees - Alone
Nada Surf - Popular

Nor I.
For the obvious (Spice Girls?) reason, and for the blatant cherry-picking.
ARIA Charts - Singles 1996
1 MACARENA - LOS DEL RIO
2 KILLING ME SOFTLY - FUGEES
3 BECAUSE YOU LOVED ME / POWER OF THE DREAM - CELINE DION
4 HOW BIZARRE - O.M.C.
5 WANNABE - SPICE GIRLS
6 ONE OF US - JOAN OSBOURNE
7 MISSING (THE REMIX EP) - EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL
8 RETURN OF THE MACK - MARK MORRISON
9 WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT - WARREN G
10 YOU'RE MAKING ME HIGH - TONI BRAXTON
11 X-FILES THEME - TRIPLE X
12 I WANT YOU - SAVAGE GARDEN
13 I LOVE YOU ALWAYS FOREVER - DONNA LEWIS
14 MACARENA - LOS DEL MAR
15 GIVE ME ONE REASON - TRACY CHAPMAN
16 BOOMBASTIC - SHAGGY
17 SEXUAL HEALING - MAX-A-MILLION
18 BE MY LOVER - LA BOUCHE
19 WONDERWALL - OASIS
20 FASTLOVE - GEORGE MICHAEL
I'd back last years top twenty sellers against that.
Skinny Love, Lego House, We Are Young, Thrift Shop.
What's worse, two Flo Rida songs, or two Macarenas?

Gee, whatever happened to Joan Osbourne..?

Most people complaining about music today would probably agree that a lot of today's pop/R&B music won't really stand the test of time as there's no real emotion, and it's packaged with of what the 'artist' is wearing , what's happening in the film clip, what's the latest story in the tabloids etc.

What a brilliant post.
You have encapsulated my thoughts more thoroughly and eloquently than I could have.
I remember when we were kids (early 80's for me), every week we'd go down to the local music store and pick up the Top 50 (?) Chart.
From that, we would do our own Top 20.
From memory, we never had any trouble finding 20 current songs to place into our Top 20, and quite often we were regrettably leaving songs out that we still loved.
Could anyone realistically say that about today's music ?
Your comment about today's R&B/Pop not lasting the test of time was hit nail on head stuff.
Captain Jack.........you know what to do with Wannabes post.......

Was there any difference between the two Macarenas?

Rather hesitant to youtube.

Most people complaining about music today would probably agree that a lot of today's pop/R&B music won't really stand the test of time as there's no real emotion, and it's packaged with of what the 'artist' is wearing , what's happening in the film clip, what's the latest story in the tabloids etc.

Back in those heady days of the late 80s/early 90s, when TV was but a madman's dream, when the only thing we got on the wireless was news from the Western Front... papers took 9 months to make it here from old Blighty...

:rolleyes:

Countdown til someone tells us how far they had to walk over rocks & snow, with no shoes, just to go to school, and they played with STICKS! STICKS! That's all we had....

Back in those heady days of the late 80s/early 90s, when TV was but a madman's dream, when the only thing we got on the wireless was news from the Western Front... papers took 9 months to make it here from old Blighty...
:rolleyes:
Countdown til someone tells us how far they had to walk over rocks & snow, with no shoes, just to go to school, and they played with STICKS! STICKS! That's all we had....

If I didn't know any better I might've been fooled into thinking you were a typically spoilt and ungrateful Gen Y'er, who is typically unappreciative of just how much more they have at their disposal then previous eras...

A lot.

Easy.
1996/97 charts
No Doubt - Don't Speak
Prodigy - Breathe
Garbage - Vow
Bee Gees - Alone
Nada Surf - Popular

Nor I.
1 MACARENA - LOS DEL RIO
4 HOW BIZARRE - O.M.C.
5 WANNABE - SPICE GIRLS
16 BOOMBASTIC - SHAGGY
19 WONDERWALL - OASIS

I cherry picked, no doubt about it, but I had to, it was pure rubbish.
I swear there were better songs then that around.

A lot.

Easy.
1996/97 charts
No Doubt - Don't Speak
Prodigy - Breathe
Garbage - Vow
Bee Gees - Alone
Nada Surf - Popular

Nor I.
1 MACARENA - LOS DEL RIO
4 HOW BIZARRE - O.M.C.
5 WANNABE - SPICE GIRLS
16 BOOMBASTIC - SHAGGY
19 WONDERWALL - OASIS

LOL. That's pretty much game, set, match on that argument.

I dunno if you meant to pick 1996 for any reason Wim, but it was known as a year that many great bands released albums (not necessarily great albums, but great bands were releasing them)  

Off the top of my head, some of my favs that year:

- Tool Aenima 

- RATM - Evil Empire

- Manson - Antichrist Superstar

- Pear Jam - No Code 

- Beck - Odelay

- Stone temple Pilots - Tiny Music...

- Weezer - Pinkerton

- Eels - Beautiful Freak 

- Sepultura - Roots

Plus albums from metallica and Pantera (which weren't their best), but a lot was happening that year. And yet, the top 20 singles looks like that! 

And, being that I was 16 at the time grooving it up at Underage discos like Stylus and Jooce, those songs from the chart you listed, is exactly how I remember commercial music from the 90's. 

Sh*t radio stations and nightclubs have ALWAYS played sh*t music. Now is no better or worse.  

Here’s my logic.

I think of Oasis champagne supernova and No Doubt Sunday morning, autumn leaves, running around in park = nineties must have been better for mainstream.

Looking back at the chart results I am clearly mistaken.