Baby's First Trade and Draft Period 2017 Edition

Someone posted in some thread but here they are:

When does the 2017 NAB AFL free agency and trade period start and finish?

Here are the indicative key dates for this year’s exchange period:

Friday October 6 - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins

Monday October 9, 9am* - NAB AFL Trade Period begins

Sunday October 15, 5pm - Close of NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period

Wednesday October 18 - NAB AFL restricted free agency matching offer three-day period ends

Thursday October 19, 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period closes

How else can players switch clubs?

Delisted players become free agents and can join new clubs during any of the three NAB AFL delisted player free agency windows.

Once clubs have delisted a player, they will receive no compensation should that player be signed by a new club.

The key dates for delisted free agents are as follows:

Wednesday November 1 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins

Wednesday November 8 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes

Friday November 10 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins

Friday November 17, 5pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Saturday November 25 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins

Sunday November 26, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

Wednesday November 29, 2pm - Final AFL club list lodgement

Delisted players can also nominate for the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.

When is the 2017 NAB AFL Combine?

Tuesday October 3 – Friday October 6 – NAB AFL Draft Combine

Saturday October 14 - South Australian Draft Combine

Sunday October 15 - West Australian Draft Combine

When are the 2017 NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Drafts?

The NAB AFL Draft returns to Sydney in 2017. The draft will be held on Friday, November 24.

The NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts will be held from 5pm on Monday, November 27.

1 Like

I’m thinking that the Stringer deal could be the first one completed.

Out: pick 11
In: Stringer & pick 25.

There could be swapping of late picks in there.

Then pick 25 goes to Gold Coast for Adam Saad

And pick 28 & a future second round pick goes to GWS for Smith.

I think the Stringer deal will be the first one done tho. It’s needs to be a quick one on Monday.

1 Like

Can you give another team the right to swap picks? Commonly done in the NBA… could be helpful if we have to use next year’s picks for SSS.

This really needs updating.

Firstly, the last part around the first two picks needs to be clarified to say that the rule will only apply from 2019.

Secondly, post the 2018 Hawthorn shenanigans (trading their future second out after having traded their future first, but bringing in a different future second) the AFL “clarified”:

What does this mean? Well, if you trade in another future pick of the same round as one you’re trading out, you’re good to go. And presumably if you improve your draft hand (e.g. switching a future third for a future second), that also won’t inhibit other trades.

Relevant this year, as given what Hawthorn did it is hard to see the AFL having a problem with us trading out our 2018 first (if we choose to) if we already have two 2018 second rounders instead of a second and third rounder.

Even if the AFL baulked at that, simply bringing in a different 2018 third rounder would allow the trading of our first again, as per the Hawthorn trade.

On the first part about 2019, that’s literally the next question after the part you quoted. On the rest, good point, I’ll update it to be more detailed than just “the AFL can waive rules if they want”.

Have I missed something here? Surely the timing of free agency and trade week is wrong.

You can get a compensation pick for a free agent, trade the pick then bring in free agents after you have traded the pick and they can’t take it off you?

Previously it was seperate and they handed the compo picks out at the end based on who went and came, they no announce them as soon as the free agent is agreed at the new club allowing them to spend picks they could loose by end of the trade period?

I think the idea is to allow for better movement of players.

Understand the intention, but that means you can use a pick you would lose by bringing in a free agent. You also have Motlop not announcing his club so they can’t get the pick to use until too late, open to even more manipulation than AFL rules allow, which is saying something.

Technically I believe compensation picks aren’t handed out until the end of the FA period, which is basically one day before the end of the trade period. That means you can’t trade the pick until that time, but you’ll still in theory have a day or so to trade it once you get it.

In practice teams can say to the AFL “yeah, we’re done with free agents” and the AFL will assign them their picks at that time so they can get on with trading. No idea what would happen if a late FA opportunity came up and you’d traded out the pick, presumably the AFL would say unlucky.

In terms of the Motlop example, yeah it kind of sucks that he can delay until the point that the cats would only have a day to use the compensation pick.

They’ve cleary stuffed this up by having them cross over and no clear cut off points.

For example the Lions could trade the pick they got for Rockliff then sign Motlop after that, and they can’t lose that compensation, currently allows for that.

As I say, the lions don’t technically have the Rockliff compensation pick yet, and if they do it’s because they’ve said they’re finished with FA’s. If they traded it and then tried to sign Motlop I imagine the AFL would just block the move.

1 Like

Thank you.

Someone just asked this question on TR and they had no idea of the answer. Wallet had to go and seek clarification.

Admittedly though, half an hour earlier, Barrett admitted he didn’t know that clubs got a 20% discount for matching bids on F/S players so it shows how useless those guys are.

2 Likes

Ok, so this is relevant here:

On trading of your future 1st round draft pick. The rule is:

• You must use 2 first rounders in any 4 year period.
  • If you can’t in a particular year, no biggie. The only impact is that you can’t then trade out your future 1st rounder.
  • However, if you currently can do 2 in 4 years, then you can trade out a future 1st even if you know that will mean you can’t meet the criteria next year

Therefore:

• In 2018 because EFC used three 1st rounders in 2015 and 2016, we can trade out our 2018 and 2019 draft picks.
  • In 2019 if we do trade out our 2018/2019 first rounders, then we’ll be in the position of having used 1 draft pick in the last four years (1 in 2016, none in 2017, 2018 or 2019). The only consequence is that we can’t then trade out our 2020 first rounder.
4 Likes

This reminds me I should start my annual attempt with the AFL for them to supply a full list of the trade and draft rules. They never do, because it’s a haphazard collection of documents, memos, and ad hoc rulings that they don’t want nailed down anywhere, but I feel like someone should try anyway.

5 Likes

Let them know you support Essendon, they will really despise you then

1 Like