Backline heroics

Im gonna put it out there that I do not remember a better Bomber backline than the current lineup.

Best in the league at the moment

Baggs and Hooker AA contention

Hibbs and Hurley probably the highest rated before this year

Fletch, myers, dempsey, heppell, goddard - all awesome

Tell me im wrong!

You're so, so wrong.

They're good.  Don't get me wrong but ■■■■■■ hell.

Thompson, Fletcher, Wanganeen

There's three GOATs right there.

Hardwick, Solomon, TD, Wellman...

Stuff them all. Don't forget Epis, Shelton & Davis, arguably our best HB line… ever. 

I just think the backline has been the cornerstone of our current form. A brick wall that can run and bounce with 3 or 4 players in close to career best form. Good leadership back there aswell as an amazing mix of tall, small, speed and strength. Enviable.

Pig looks a little off

Pig looks a little off

Compensated by the fact that Hooker is in the form of his career.

Hardwick, Solomon, TD, Wellman...

Agree

Hardwick Fletcher MJ

Solomon Wallis Wellman

and

Wanganeen Fletcher Chris Daniher

Thompson Wallis Harvey

say "how bout no"

Pig looks a little off

Knocking a bit of rust off, he's on the way back to his best

Hooks has played probably the 3 best games of his career and looks to have turned a corner into a very, very bright street. He's been backed up by an excellent back six. Gone are the days when Franklin, Cloke etc. would have a field day against us.

Hardwick      Fletcher    Johnson

Solomon      Wallis       Wellman

Now that is a backline.

This group has the potential though no doubt to get their due to their kicking skills.

The above six though was as tough as they come.

Bag’s really is in great form. Proud to say that I wasn’t one of the haters.
Hooker… Seriously, how fast are that guys hands. He can go from seemingly dead still, flat footed, and all of a sudden there is a spoil or tackle from nowhere. And when others are running around in circles trying to find where the ball is going to land, Hooker was there 20 seconds ago just waiting patiently.
Hibberd looked good last night I thought. Did a few of his floating intercept marks. Seems to be working the ground a lot more than he used to as well. I wonder if the opposition players are being told to try to run him around the ground to make him less damaging as a rebounder?
Gleeson is a player. No doubt.

picking a backline from 93, 00 and now mine would be

fletch hooker bomber

dimma wellman wanga

The backline are playing as a TEAM. They support each other and harass opposition forwards. I also believe our overall team defence has gone up a notch.

Tough call for that last small spot TBH.

Dimma over GO'D (was he still backline in 93?) over MJ over Pig over Solly - no real loser there.

Tough to fit Harvey in, as Fletch takes that variable sized medium-to-KPP player.

The second rung?

MJ Wallis Hurley

Solly Harvey Pig

Which is not bad either.

They've conceded 9.6 vs North Melbourne at their favourite flat track running ground, Etihad. An exceptional effort against a team containing the likes of Petrie, Harvey, Thomas & Black. North's lowest score at the venue in several seasons.
13.12 vs Hawthorn in the final minute loss at Etihad. Worth mentioning that the Hawks have kicked 21 goals in their other two games... one against the so called "best defensive team since 1858", Fremantle. Hawthorn's first score under 100 points at Etihad in 9 games.
Now 8.9 vs Carlton - including restricting a bit of a nemesis for us, Jarrod Waite, goalless. Not to mention all their other arsey small forwards who have often feasted on us in recent seasons.

Don’t forget Carlisle, even though he’s up forward and played ruck, he was AA in defence in previous years.

I reckon the one different thing about the Bombers this year is how good our defence has been. In recent years it‘s been our achilles heel

Kept kangas and blues to under 10 goals and hawthorn under 100 points (which is a rarity)

Baguley most underrated player in our team, gone to a new level this year. Could be the most underrated player in the league, not too many small defenders doing better than him at the moment

Hooker going at AA pace at the minute, I finally don‘t feel nervous with the ball in his hands.

Hibberd continuing on where he left off last year

Fletcher is just Fletcher, may need Pears to cover for him at certain stages this year – that could be the worry.

Hurley looks at home back there now, beats his opponent and hurts the opposition going the other way. Great for team balance

The other spot has been the rotating midfielder Heppell/Ashby/Gleeson all these guys are beating their opponents and creating run.

There is no glaring weakness there, I reckon this is our most important 6 players every week, can‘t afford any of these blokes injured.

People keep telling me Hooker is ■■■■, and it ■■■■■■ me off. Most haven't watched him more than a couple of times since 2012

I reckon the one different thing about the Bombers this year is how good our defence has been. In recent years it‘s been our achilles heel

Kept kangas and blues to under 10 goals and hawthorn under 100 points (which is a rarity)

Baguley most underrated player in our team, gone to a new level this year. Could be the most underrated player in the league, not too many small defenders doing better than him at the moment
Hooker going at AA pace at the minute, I finally don‘t feel nervous with the ball in his hands.
Hibberd continuing on where he left off last year
Fletcher is just Fletcher, may need Pears to cover for him at certain stages this year – that could be the worry.
Hurley looks at home back there now, beats his opponent and hurts the opposition going the other way. Great for team balance

The other spot has been the rotating midfielder Heppell/Ashby/Gleeson all these guys are beating their opponents and creating run.

There is no glaring weakness there, I reckon this is our most important 6 players every week, can‘t afford any of these blokes injured.

Our backline was pretty hot last year too. Other than that, agree with everything you wrote. Disappointed you didn't mention Gleeson though. :P