Backline heroics

When we have Ryder and TBell back, will we persist with JD and Jake in the forward line? If they decide to spell Fletch perhaps Carlisle might find his way back rather than Pears getting a recall

People keep telling me Hooker is ****, and it ■■■■■■ me off. Most haven't watched him more than a couple of times since 2012 at all really and simply remember when he had that really weird modified running style because of his hammies (which the commentators couldn't stop talking about) and also his Buddy chase.

People keep telling me Hooker is ****, and it ■■■■■■ me off. Most haven't watched him more than a couple of times since 2012

non-essendon fans only think of hooker as that guy chasing buddy. As always context is everything:

1. that was under knights in 2010 for god's sake - he was a 3rd year key defender;
  2. he was coming back from a serious hamstring injury (one of a number he suffered in years 2 and 3 of his career) which had robbed him of much of his pace and match fitness;
  3. to that point in the game he had franklin pretty well in check IIRC

they also forget that he was one of the best intercept marks in the comp last year and led the comp at various stages for intercept possessions. GUN

People keep telling me Hooker is ****, and it ■■■■■■ me off. Most haven't watched him more than a couple of times since 2012

non-essendon fans only think of hooker as that guy chasing buddy. As always context is everything:

• that was under knights in 2010 for god's sake - he was a 3rd year key defender;
  • he was coming back from a serious hamstring injury (one of a number he suffered in years 2 and 3 of his career) which had robbed him of much of his pace and match fitness;
  • to that point in the game he had franklin pretty well in check IIRC
they also forget that he was one of the best intercept marks in the comp last year and led the comp at various stages for intercept possessions. GUN
Yep. Just like opposition fans only think of Carlisle as the guy who acted as a stepladder for Walker.

Geoff Pryor was handy in his day !

I think opposition fans appreciate how good Carlisle is...

I like the backline, it is really building. Some real mongrel in there now, to go with the marking and clearing - ala the nineties/naughties.

Geoff Pryor was handy in his day !

… and Charlie Payne.

Stuff them all. Don't forget Epis, Shelton & Davis, arguably our best HB line… ever. 

Backline Shaw, Doran, McKenzie

Centres Blew, Beissel, Capuano

I wonder if the young-ens get as ■■■■■■ off with me crapping on about players of the 80’s (who they never saw) as I do with you Baby Boomers crapping on about players I never saw.

Talking about backmen.#18  Barry "Thunder Thighs' Grinter. Steamrolled that massive Carlscum John Nicolls at Waverly Park.in the early '70s.

Rugged Ronnie Andrews

now theres a back line 

Hardwick, Solomon, TD, Wellman...

Agree
Hardwick Fletcher MJ
Solomon Wallis Wellman
and
Wanganeen Fletcher Chris Daniher
Thompson Wallis Harvey
say "how bout no"
The current list of backline players
1. Haven't done what the predecessors have done over a LONG period of time.
2. Haven't won a premiership like the predecessors (exception is fletcher)
Whilst they on current form on good and one of the best for points against in the league, until (IMO) done the above 2, will be know as just good and not great/one of the best.

Just throw Dempsey in to give more rebound off HB and its the best backline for 14 years, and perhaps the second best in my lifetime (mid 1970s). Hooker is still unheralded by the media and many fans (opposition and Bombers alike). I will admit of being sceptical of him for some time. His reading of the play was always good, but it was decision making and time that was my worry. His disposal was never too bad but over the past 18 months it has improved out of sight as has his decision making.

Agree
Hardwick Fletcher MJ
Solomon Wallis Wellman
and
Thompson Wallis Harvey
say "how bout no"
Not sure about the second one. Wallis only came good in 1996 and that was Bombers and Wanganeens last season and had Chris Daniher retired then, or was that 1998 he retired?

The 2000 backline was simply perfect.

The current one is pretty good, and may be viewed better by the end of the year.

Agree
Hardwick Fletcher MJ
Solomon Wallis Wellman
and
Thompson Wallis Harvey
say "how bout no"
Not sure about the second one. Wallis only came good in 1996 and that was Bombers and Wanganeens last season and had Chris Daniher retired then, or was that 1998 he retired?

I'm assuming that's the 1993 GF backline.

it's called jealousy.

I wonder if the young-ens get as ■■■■■■ off with me crapping on about players of the 80's (who they never saw) as I do with you Baby Boomers crapping on about players I never saw.

Well them Noddy consider also Neale Daniher. In his prime he would be my first choice for one HBF.

Jealousy indeed.

Agree
Hardwick Fletcher MJ
Solomon Wallis Wellman
and
Thompson Wallis Harvey
say "how bout no"
I'm assuming that's the 1993 GF backline.

Harvey was the CHB in 93. Grenvold on a HBF. It was a good backline in terms of working together, but hardly one of the greatest.
Thompson Weston Duckworth
Foulds Walsh Clarke/Bradbury
probably has better claims you'd think.
But different eras and all.
I'm sure that the back line from the 40s was superb, but I'd have no idea.