Backline love-in

Or he reads Blitz!

I think there have been some encouraging signs over the last couple of games. The mix has felt better with smack down there and lav leading hard at the ball carrier. Keeping Fanta fit too is obviously key.

I reckon Merrett is finally finding some real touch with his kicking again. He finessed a couple incredible spot ups on the weekend which resulted in goals.

But yeah getting some consistency through the forward group will be huge.

I would have loved a gimme this week to build some confidence and continue to work on forward coordination but maybe weā€™re getting the Eagles and gws at a good time both coming off the bye. Fingers crossed.

If we knocked off both of them out would absolutely ignite our season. Itā€™s not a totally far fetched thought.

4 Likes

We are actually the 5th most efficient scoring team once inside our forward 50. Our problem is we are ranked 11 for inside 50ā€™s.

The lack of inside 50ā€™s would be partly down to the new defensive structures and setting up defensive side of the ball.

1 Like

The backline is a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  good one.

Ambrose has really surprised and got himself back into that 2016 elite shutdown form. Iā€™d still really like it if Francis could get to last yearā€™s intercept king level form and push Ambrose out. Really do like it when all our defenders can go both ways like we had when Hirdy was coach:

Baguley - Hurley/Carlisle - Fletcher
Hibberd - Hooker - Dempsey

Compares quite nicely with:

Saad - Hurley - Ambrose/Francis
Redman - Hooker - McKenna

2 Likes

That really surprises me

1 Like

Thatā€™s what it says on the AFL app.

Surprised me also.

That would factor in points as well as goals I assume which we kick far to many of.

Great article about the teamsā€™ defence

1 Like
3 Likes

Seems the backline has finally caught a lot of attention

3 Likes

Definitely a lot better than last year, but context is everything. Weā€™ve played some sht teams in less than ideal conditions in recent week. Itā€™s had to get better with all our fwd line injuries, but a much better balance now and with the addition of a run with player we look far less leaky. Just need to get the fwd line firing now.

From memory we averaged around 72 points against from round 8 onwards last year.

We have improved this year but we already had a great defense last season.

Agree that contet is everything, this has been achieved with a forward line than has been shredded by injuries.

ā€¦which I also said (speaking of context). All Iā€™m saying is take out Carlton in the wet and the stats would look very different. Not saying itā€™s still not a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  good back 6.

1 Like

Take out stats for every game every team plays against the bottom sides and everything looks different.

Better luck next time.

Exactly, which is why Iā€™m saying statistics donā€™t mean sht.

I also think kudos should go to the VFL backline. Theyā€™re not only performing brilliantly, but arguably putting pressure on the first choice group to perform.

McNiece ā€¦ Hartley ā€¦ Dea
Gleeson ā€¦ Zerk ā€¦ Ridley

With Francis to slot back in. Technically Long is playing HB over Ridley at the moment, but thatā€™s mostly about getting Ridley more experience up the ground.

I assert that the back 6 above, plus Francis, would do a decent job at AFL level. Having two sets of AFL quality backlines (albeit of vastly differing quality!) is a fantastic place to be in.

8 Likes

Nah, statistics are fine when they account for all data available. Cutting one data point out because it was a ā– ā– ā– ā–  team makes no sense. All clubs have played ā– ā– ā– ā–  teams.

Second half of last year we had a top defense, and now after the shitshow of the first couple games we also now are even better defensively. And if as we play higher up teams we leak more goals then the statsitics will adapt or they will prove the average.

Might as well say take out all those home games the Cats have at Kardinia Park against interstate teams that donā€™t like the cold wind & rain also, makes about as much sense.

Well it does if youā€™re talking about how they go against other Vic teams at the G as compared to at their HG against interstate teams that are clearly disadvantaged there, ā€¦

got flogged last night, partly due to a lack of pressure in midfield.

Take into account the conditions we have played in over the past 8 weeks as that is why we arenā€™t conceding much