BBFFL#2 2019 Discussion

Guys, sick kid wife combo has rendered me very unlikely to get a state of the art roster optimised entirely to my needs done by tomorrow evening. I also made a predictive tipping model which took up a big chunk, so I can’t complain too much.

I like D2Ds idea of playing the person above you twice, but who does the top 3-4 play twice?

1 Like

The ‘fix’ture can be amended post round 1.

Sweet.

Draft Review. Saracens FC.

The intent for this year is probably best summed up by stealing Gough Whitlams 1972 campaign slogan, “It’s time”. Over several years, via the draft and some trading, the list has been almost entirely overturned - just two keepers date back to the change of coach after TD Spartan departed - and we’re confident that the personnel is now capable of making a serious push into the top half of the ladder. The list has a good mix of solid scoring power and a nice sprinkling of talent yet to fully blossom. We were quiet through the trading period, a few discussions around the likes of Gleeson and Roughead on the periphery, but not really going hard for any targets or trying to offload any big names. Largely because we’re quietly confident that this list is moving into a stage where it can compete with the league heavyweights. The next two years should be very competitive for this club.

All of which more or less made the draft pathway fairly clear. If we’re close to competing, then go looking for more depth and more talent that can help us now, and over the next two years if we stumble on legitimate keepers in the process. But it wouldnt be a Saracen draft without a bit of raw rookie talent speculation either. That’s the fun part for me.

Selection 8. Connor Rozee.

The draft started with an unexpected problem. Rozee was one that i’d marked down as being gone early. I’d zoned in on four possibles rookies at this pick- Caldwell, Duursma, Butters and Rowbottom. I’d also made a note to self about Cousins, since if the aim was to have a real crack this year, then perhaps he was the way to go. Ultimately, i’d settled on Caldwell - keep adding a layer of talent coming through - and would hope for Cousins in the 2nd round. And then Rozee through a curve ball. The key factor in the end was his dual position eligibility. If he works out, and keeps B/F eligibility for a couple of years, then structurally he is extremely valuable. Will play early too. I very nearly still took Caldwell - think he’ll be a gun - but it was Connor when i hit the draft button.

Selection 26. James Rowbottom.

Cousins, as i probably should have expected, did not survive to my next pick. I was a little unsure which way to go as a result. The ‘experienced’ pick would have moved to Jack Graham, and i probably should have taken him in terms of aims. I’d also liked Bailey Scott, but he too had been snapped up. But the kid that i had strongly looked at for Pick 8 was still on the board. I had one of those moments where you think “have i completely over rated him” because there seemed little interest. I decided to back my ratings and take James whilst i could. I think its a good pick in terms of how good this kid will be, but i’m second guessing myself about Graham and whether he was the right pick for a tilt at finals and more right now. I wasn’t blind to the fact though, and reset my intentions for the next couple of picks.

Selection 44. Willie Rioli

It was well past time to sift through the spreadsheet and find some players that were more mature than first years, players that would give me depth and options for a long year. Following the selection of Rowbottom, i was looking at several names here. Darcy Moore appealed, his dual position category looked very suitable and made his injury risk worth overlooking to an extent. But he was taken prior. I liked Horlin Smith for midfield depth, i also went in search of info for Armitage’s injury status. And Daniel Venables was in the thinking too. But Willie Rioli had played a blinder in JLT2 to probably put himself in many coaches thinking. More importantly, he looks fit. Genuinely, truely fit, which i’m hoping improves his scoring AND his hamstring worries. Dedicated forward, but i’d decided pre-draft that the versatility of Acres and Bonar allowed me to get a few forward only players - in a sense, they were also adding midfield depth. If i wanted Rioli, it probably had to be here.

Selection 62. George Horlin-Smith

George was a bit unlucky to be cut from the keeper list, arguably he should have edged out Narkle. But i’d drafted Quinton in his first year as a speculative pick, then taken him again in year 2, and i was loath to send him into the market with Geelong talking up his clearance credentials. But i’ve always suspected that George is a better DT scorer than the Geelong midfield would allow him to show, and intended to redraft him somewhere around the middle of this draft. His ankle injury was reportedly minor and was a good chance for round 1. He’d add a mature body and scoring potential. Venables was still in play, but after Rioli i decided a midfield pick was the way to go. Jayden Hunt vanished the pick before! Welcome back, George.

Selection 80. Charlie Ballard

The backline depth was causing me some headaches as i perused the spreadsheets. I had Bowes as a B/C and was keen to get some flexibility to allow him into the midfield if needed, but i wanted someone that offered a bit more potential than just the standard everyday backman. I kept coming back to Ballard. Its a bit of a risk because he’s not strictly what i was really after, just a second year player. But his job security looks ok and whilst his 2018 averages were off radar, there are hints that he could become a decent ballwinner in the back half. Venables was still in my thinking, and so too was Will Hayes, but neither offered me the B i was thinking i needed. In the end, this pick was willfully made knowing it was a bit riskier than it probably should be, but also that more common gap fillers would still exist later in the draft.

Selection 98. Daniel Venables

Will Hayes was Venables’ main rival for this pick from the moment i took Ballard. But again, a forward would cover Acres if he was needed for midfield duties. Venables is a strange player, gives every hint of being midfield capable yet for some reason im not convinced he ever will be. But his age and stats suggest that this could be his breakout year, if he’s ever going to have one. JLT1 was a good outing for him, quieter in JLT2 as Rioli took over. He looks to be the Eagles plans though each week. I’d let him go twice already, this was the pick to get him. Right age, decent job security, possible breakout. The sort of player a side needs when attempting to ride out a long year with finals on the agenda.

Selection 116. Shaun Atley

Two things really surprised me. One - why wasnt Atley on someones list already!? Two - how the hell had i missed him on the spreadsheet until AFTER the Venables pick!? Yea, verily, had i completely overlooked Shaun. Mea Culpa. Now, i hadnt really wanted another forward. Not ideally for list balance. But i thought he was too good not to snap up. The new role forward seems to be something that North are sticking with, and he seems very capable of averaging around 70, imo with the potential to have a few much higher scores as well. At pick 116, and with my intentions for the year, he seemed perfect depth and not too old. Ed Vickers Willis was an alternative consideration at the other end, Hayes had already been taken by Melk.

Selection 134. Phil Davis.

With Atley the unplanned forward, i was still concerned about finding a plug-and-play defender. Ivan had taken EVW, and i wasnt finding a lot of enticing options scoring wise or potential wise. Davis seemed an interesting option, prone to injury a bit but obviously in GWS’ side every single week. Also had an uncharacteristically high-scoring JLT game, though i cant see any changes to GWS’ setup that will allow him a role change. Break-glass-in-emergency selection, this one.

Selection 152. Todd Marshall.

Think Phil Davis type pick at the other end - but with the balance shifted to raw potential from job security. Marshall is a massive talent for his position, which generally isnt an ideal FF position, but should play early with Dixon returning from a broken leg. I’ve taken a little liberty here, because this is probably a year or two too early , but his mobility appeals.

Selection 167. Jack Ross

My view on FF no doubt differs to some other coaches. I invariably look for talented kids and potential. Often when I shouldn’t. And I probably shouldn’t have here, especially after taking two rookies with my first picks. But I watched the draft unfold with bemusement that Ross wasnt taken with an eye on the future. I felt he was as likely as any rookie to build a decent FF career, his game looks contested and ready for AFL. Didn’t play championships but dominated the back end of the TAC cup season. In many ways this pick doesn’t make a lot of sense for my draft, but If I’d been guaranteed that he was available at 167 I probably would have overlooked Rowbottom at #26 . The negative, of course, is the strength of Richmond’s team. But I won’t be shocked if he attracts some trade interest from coaches later in the year. Might be wrong, he may bomb out, but at this pick he’s a bargain prospect in my view.

So with it all done and dusted, I look back fairly happy. I perhaps took one kid too many, given I want to be active deep into the finals series. I’d have liked Cousins or Graham. But I have depth on most lines and some decent flexibility. I have continuing levels of talent coming through, and some blue chip scorers to form a competitive core.

Possible best 22.

Backs: Mills, Hurley, DBJ, Bowes, Francis

Mids:. Zerrett, Beams, Ward, Steele, Atkins, Phillips

Utility : Hopper

Ruck: Lycett

Forwards : Stringer, Acres, Fantasia, Rioli, R Marshall

Bench : Bonar, Narkle, T Marshall , Horlin Smith Venables, Atley ,Marchbank, Rozee, Rowbottom, Davis, Ross.

Looks pretty good imo, but it’s not quite locked in to be a genuine contender, the likes of Acres , R Marshall and Narkle have some question marks and Marchbank is injury prone. A few kids are still a year or two away. Mills and Stringer are my two barometers. Expecting them to finally realise their FF potential and lead us into finals contention.

6 Likes

So, a Round 1 blockbuster opening against @The_Melkman ? I’m Going to need to nail team selection.

I’m hoping he’s an even bigger steal at 18

1 Like

Yep, match of the round I reckon.

With Balta and Jones locked in I should be able to put up a solid side now too.

My round preview probably won’t be out until post Friday night’s game. I’m in Vietnam for work at the moment.

Still waiting for my 2018 round summaries :p. Drafted a loot of depth this year… pretty much every pick after butters. Not very inspiring but feel confident in fielding a full team every week at least

What did I promise and fail to provide? I need to find a way of dumping all the data I have to everyone. Over the next month I really want to try to find time to collate all the games played data into a useable format.

Was just teasing you mate. Sometime last year i mentioned i missed your after round wrap ups. You said you’d do them but I’m pretty sure couldn’t find the time :slight_smile:

Yep that is true. Doing that got big on me last year. Will try to do it this year - maybe on a more sustainable level. High/low scores winning streaks etc.

I do know one thing. The Conargo Bulls are shooting for win number 23 on the trot this week! Last defeated in the 2017 Grand Final.

Someone needs to bring you down a peg or two. Wouldn’t even mind if it was Bix who beat you.

1 Like

Sorry but I am playing the Yambags who are inexplicably expected to score 1550.

Don’t feel anywhere near as confident as last year. Just don’t have the depth I felt I had. Also regretting one keeper move. Scott Selwood should have gone rather than Jordan Gallucci if for no other reason than to readjust the age of my squad.

@cafegerat has built an excellent squad. Won a couple of finals last year - not surprised they are predicted to score in that range.

1 Like

My team wont be challenging you. Had a horrible draft.

I am always surprised when people other than me succeed.

5 Likes

UF predictions for this week below. Lots of high scores in there. I’m expecting @Birch19 to be a big improver this year off the back of his trade and draft period. Whilst as I said above @cafegerat will definitely be a contender. @wezza you still have the depth to contend and @fogdog and @Aceman do as well.

Lol. Well, there goes the idea of lots of selection choice. Willie Rioli ruled out with a “foot injury” . That sounds ominous. Narkle an emergency, Bonar not selected and neither is Acres for some reason. Bugger.