Best 22 2019 - Round 1

Blitz had him out until he proved he good mark one handed, and the splint came off.
But if you want to restart apanic about Fanta who am I to stop you.

**[quote=ā€œKiller_Mike, post:759, topic:14266, full:trueā€]
FFS Langford still on the benchšŸ˜Š

Put him in the guts
[/quote]

Note is Francis in the guts instead.
Three years of Blitz pessimism is perhaps being overcompensated for this preseason.

2 Likes

Thanks I had forgotten him.
Iā€™d replace MacNiece with him.

1 Like

Been think that with TBC the way that he is and rule changes that heā€™ll defintely need cover. I doubt Daniher will ever cover as a resting ruck, at least not this year and that Smack will be very much in demand.
This article supports how theyā€™ll be an increase in ruck loads.

Big Rhys is no dummy - feathering the old nest with his subtle ā€˜analysisā€™ of the new rules.

1 Like

The updated panic merchants Round 1 side
Friday 18th January

B. MacNiece Francis Zerk
HB. Saad Hurley Ridley
C. Zaharakis Langford McGrath
HF. Fanta Brown Tippa
FF. Bags Smack Stringer
R. Draper Shiel Smith

I/C Parish Ambrose Myers Guelfi

Note: Saad, included despite the Blitz reports of ā€œfatnessā€
I still assume Blitz is correct in that Laverde will be injured in a pre season game.
Hooker, McKenna and Belly are all obviously carrying undisclosed ailments- again according to Blitz.
Heppell has missed two training sessions in a row
Joey and Fridge are making a late bid for inclusion, depending on whether you believe or disbelieve a fitness department Or Blitz training reports.
Zach- either fine or teaming with Heather Mills.

PS - KillerMike- Langford is now in guts by means of doing a Tonya Harding on Zach.

7 Likes

Oh baby

bravoā€¦ deserved more than a like.

2 Likes

Pretty close to my best 22 as well. However, the coaches usually go for experience and I suspect they would go for Bags over Guelfi. Bags had a great year after he re-invented himself as a small forward.

Guelfi Hurley Francis
McKenna Hooker Saad
Zaka Heppell McGrath
Smith Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Stringer Baguley
Bellchambers Merrett Shiel

Langford Parish McKernan Myers

Emg (in order of preference) Laverde Brown Gleeson

Donā€™t rate Gleeks much, or is it the injury?

Itā€™s a bit of both - the injury does hurt him in my team. In the past I have commented about how each year he has improved his stats (as a young player should), but whilst I think he is a nice player, I think I would rather play the extra mid option for which I think Guelfi has the versatility.

I wrote earlier in the thread that I think extra mid depth means that a McGrath/Heppell can rest in the backline if need be. For me Gleesonā€™s is not an automatic inclusion when fit ā€¦ i think Francis brings more to the backline than Gleeson, and Guelfi can add something as a mid.

Gleeson has a role to play at the club, but in my team that role is currently depth.

2 Likes

I tend to agree that I wouldnā€™t have Gleeson as an automatic selection, even when fit. I think heā€™s got a little over hyped in here over his last game in Sydney.

I went to that game and didnā€™t listen to or read anything concerning football for about a week afterwards after the disappointment, and was very surprised to hear everyone raving about Gleesonā€™s game. So I put myself through the torture of watching the entire game on replay specifically paying special attention to Gleeson to see if Iā€™d missed anything. And yes he played an OK game and took a couple of nice marks but had no real influence on the game or the result. Someone like Francis on the other hand could have made a huge difference.

Generally speaking most of his intercept marks I think are either uncontested from good reading of the play or a 2 on 1 with him sitting at the side or back, I canā€™t recall him taking too many marks where he has outmaneuvered a bigger opponent in a 1 on 1, and marking is his main forte.

I think nearly everyone is agreed on a backline with Saad, Hurley, Hooker, Francis and McKenna leaving 2 more spots including the 1 on the interchange.

The players vying for the spots I think are Gleeson, Redman, Ridley, Ambrose, Guelfi, Dea and McNiece (with Hartley and possibly Ambrose only coming in if we are without Hooker or Hurley).

Of that group I would have Redman, Ridley and Guelfi at least level with Gleeson (depending an matchups) and probably just ahead leaving him as depth for me as well

3 Likes

If itā€™s out of gleeson, redman and ridley itā€™s gleeson every day. Both kids showed real good signs at afl level as back flankers but gleeson is a proven asset. I also think ridley and maybe redman too will end up as classy wingmen

2 Likes

At the end of the day itā€™s all just a matter of opinion. Personally I would like to see Redman and Ridley get more games

2 Likes

I think Redman would have overtaken him if it wasnā€™t for his injury last year. We really have found one in Redman, I just hope the injuries donā€™t kill his career.

4 Likes

Itā€™s the aggression mixed with really good skills that make him suited to playing the game at the top level.

1 Like

It wasnā€™t just the Sydney game. He was in great form at the end of 2017 baring maybe the bulldogs game. His disposal is always very clean and he reads the play so well. He also has great chemistry with Hurley. Iā€™m not saying Redman & Ridley wont be as good as Marty, but if Marty is fit i think itā€™s definitely his spot and the others can try to take it from him.

1 Like

Yes I agree I was being a little over dramatic saying it was just the Sydney game, he had been in good form before that but after Sydney he seemed to be considered almost irreplaceable.

Iā€™m not saying I donā€™t like him as a player, he has been good and it wouldnā€™t particularly worry me if he was given first crack, I just think others could be better and bring more to the team. My main concern with him is not being able to handle bigger players and we already have Saad and McKenna on this smallish side but they compensate with outstanding run.

2 Likes

Gleeson looks significantly bigger than he did last time he played. Heā€™ll take some time to get back up to speed, but I expect that size alone will make him a better 1:1 player.