Best 22 2019 - Round 1

Yes that’s also probably true, he has put on extra bulk

2 Likes

Yeah i wasn’t on this forum at that time but i can imagine blitz totally over hyping him haha. In my mind he’s just a super reliable player. And with our lack of experience i’d rather him with his 70 or so games over one of the younger blokes. Plus i’m from down Warrnambool way so it’s always good to see a Koroit boy on the park.

1 Like

Spud country, eh?
He’s done well to rise above his disadvantages there.

2 Likes

Yep. Pre-season last year we were saying that Marty had finally managed to put some meat on his frame. Then he got himself injured, and we never really got to see him with that extra body strength.

He really was a twig last time we saw him. I’m looking forward to seeing how the kid goes now that he has some chance of matching the strength of his opponents.

A very smart footballer is Marty.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, i’m bullish about both redman and ridley. Also love seeing promising kids get given games. But this year our first priority isn’t to develop kids, it’s to pick our best side available each week and try and have a crack in finals. If gleeson is fit, he’s well ahead of those kids and slots straight in imo

2 Likes

Did not play any football last year. I cannot see the selectors picking him before he gets some game time in the reserves.

1 Like

You may very well be right. Frustratingly the VFL starts a couple of weeks after the AFL.

I was thinking if he played the JLT, then the selectors could pick him for round 1.

Hypothetically what would the team look like without the saga guys

Out: Hooker Hurley, Heppell, Myers, Bellchambers
Is that all thats left?
Players at other clubs - Ryder, Melksham, Carlisle, Hibberd
Players on list but not effected - Baguley, Long, Zaharakis

B: Saad Hartley Francis
HB: Gleeson Ambrose McKenna
C: Smith Langford McGrath
HF: Zaharakis Daniher Stringer
F: Fantasia McKernan Tippa
R: Draper Shiel Merrett
Int: Laverde, Parish, Guelfi, Baguley

Emg: Z Clarke, Zerk-Thatcher, Jake Long

1 Like

When you look at all those names it’s difficult to understand how some dont rate Dodoro.

2 Likes

@ivan hit us with your best 22 post injury updates.

Because it has taken 15 odd years to assemble a list of names like that.

1 Like

I’ve said it before but worth repeating.

Gleeson played most of his games in defense in 2015 and 2016 when we were kaka. He looked a heap better in 2017 when the side was at least average.

I reckon if he gets over his injury he still has a few gears to go up playing in what will be our best side in a long time. Defenders can live and die by the overall quality of the side.

Plenty of reasons why we couldnt.

There is the obvious reason that doesn’t require me saying but also the fact that we refused to bottom out.

When we did bottom out we got unlucky and took Gumby who couldn’t get on the park.

We have had some shocking picks but no more than any other side.

I don’t think any of the injuries so far will effect Rd 1 but if I were to assume the worst something like this still looks pretty appetising

Saad hartley Ambrose
Ridley Hurley Francis

Zaharakis hepp McGrath
Tbell Shiel parish

Smith Stewart Fanta
Tippa smack stringer

Langford Guelfi lav bags

Unfortunately there’s still 8 long weeks and 4 days to go before round 1, but that means there’s plenty of time for niggles to be fixed. That said, barring something miraculous to LTI’s like Joey, Gleeson and Begley doing something in their rehab and training, I reckon the likely starting 22 would be something like this

Saad Hurley Francis
McKenna Hooker Ridley
Zaharakis Heppel McGrath
Langford Mckernan Fantasia
Walla Stringer Smith
TBC Shiel Merrett
Parish Myers Laverde Guelfi

Even without Joe who would be the only real legit starting 18 player, that bunch of 22 doesn’t look second rate by any stretch.

1 Like

Missing a kpf, likely Brown. Lav out.

1 Like

Wtf. Fox Footy best 22 says Hooker forward!

Do they know something we dont?

On the contrary. We’re fully aware that they’re a pack of clowns.

5 Likes

I am fully lid off about this year!

cant wait for the season to start, we just seem to have more intent than last year, like we know what to do and how to go about it. Seeing JOEDAN getting out and about is uplifting for the bomber soul.

… all Based on my reading of BLITZ.

2 Likes

B: Saad Hooker McGrath
HB: McKenna Hurley Francis
C: Zaharakis Shiel Merrett
HF: Stringer Daniher Fantasia
F: Walla McKernan Baguley
R: Bellchambers Heppell Smith
I/C: Langford Guelfi Parish Ambrose

Proven AFL standard depth:

Tall Backs: Hartley Brown
Medium Backs: Gleeson Ridley