C: McGrath Heppell© Zaharakis
HF: Laverde Daniher Stringer
F: Fantasia McKernan McDonald-Tipingwuti
R: Bellchambers Shiel Smith
Int: Merrett, Langford Parish Myers
Emg: Ambrose, Brown, Begley

I think versus GWS we go with Guelfi as the small back. Ambrose first Emergency
Rotate Heppell and McGrath back if needed

Start off with Shiel and Smith head to head with their former teammates - coniglio and Kelly
Laverde lucky to get in I guess. If under performs would consider Brown to come in and run run run or Begly.

• If Daniher not fit then Brown to come in.
    ** If Merrett/Smith/ another mid not fit then Begley to come in
    *** Hooker out with Hammy then Ambrose in

I don’t believe Redman/Ridley or Gleeson will be ready come round 1.
We will ask Guelfi to play this small defender role for the team, and dont be surprised if he plays it more attacking this year.

3 Likes

It’s closer to their actual positions than any Ch7 lineup graphics I’ve ever seen.
Myers in the back pocket?
Tippa at full forward?
Ambrose on the half forward flank?
And that’s only some of last year’s efforts.

Speedy and I can tag team.
Where’s your seventh defender?

Or are you playing Myers off the HBF?

Heppell, MCGrath, McDonald-Tipingwuti all can be played in defence if required and have in the past.
but defenders stay on ground most of time.
Rotate midfield through the bench and forwardline.

Only bloke needing a rest potentially in backline is Francis (80%TOG last year)
Would be keen to try Laverde back there while Franga on the bench, or Play Daniher loose in Defence and clunk everything.
Tippa to help out defence could help get him in the game if he aint getting a touch up forward as well.
Could also have Myers down there as a last resort.

I think Laverde in the team >> Ambrose adds more flexibility.

fixed.

1 Like

I don’t believe Redman, Ridley, Begley, or Gleeson will be ready come round 1. Not a full pre-season !
Even if they are running fit, neither Gleeson, Nor Begley have played for about a year at any level. Redman and Ridley are not automatic ins in the side, having played less than 10 games at AFL level.

Imagine the speed coming out of defence if saad, McKenna and Tippa are down there.

I think you’re trying to reply to the post I replied to.
Hoult Douli’s

Feel free to respond to my posts about who will be the seventh defender though.

Yes WSB, I would not want my reply to imply you thought that.

Depending on matchups, to save being too tall, the back 6 would include Guelfi, with Ambrose as the 7th defender on the bench.
If you mean by 7th defender, that we drop a player back at times, that would be one of the mids. Best would be Hepp or Zerret.

Defenders don’t stay on the ground most of the time, especially smaller defenders- they rotate on average as much as mids and forwards.

If you want to bugger up our midfield or forwards by playing any of Tippa, McGrath or Heppell off the half back flank or back pocket then at least have the courage to name them there and put Guelfi on the bench.
Enjoy the Blitz storm that’d ensue if you named Tippa on the HBF.

You’re just dodging the issue where a favourite mid or forward can’t be named.

Yeah fair point I’ve just always thought of them that way. In reality they play a role within the structure more so than a position. Richmond routinely names all 3 key defender talls (including Grimes) on the full back line with the small defenders named on the half back line. I don’t mind that non traditional format to honest.

1 Like

I’m with Speedy in that a seventh defender has to be named.
Dropping an occasional mid back is not something that’s done, unless it’s Plan C - a defender has gone off injured and we need to still cover the defensive rotations.
The question of whether Ambrose is the seventh defender with Guelfi named is a legitimate issue Ivan had.
At least there were seven defenders.
It’s OK, but risky as we’re possibly too top heavy in defence.

1 Like

6 defenders + one on the bench=7.
Thats different to a +1 in defence ( the Goddard role)
Its also different to running one of the forwards off the back of the square which was a "temporary " +1

I expect what you are talking about is 6 defenders + one on the bench=7 right?

Personally I’d have Hurley on Cameron (pretty sure he is their FF) cause he would be too mobile for Hooker IMO.

With no Patton (Hooker’s better match up), Hooker on the resting ruck or whoever their number 2 forward is (Lobb no longer there)

1 Like

Agree, Cameron is way too mobile for Hooker. In the last game Ambrose tagged him when he went up the ground . Himmelberg is #2 tall at 194cm : a good player and would be a good match up for Hurley.

Just because Patton is out we also don’t know that GWS won’t play 2 rucks, especially if they have inexperienced players available. Mumford will be out. Is Simpson still injured?

Clubs are apparently considering it because of the advantages/disadvantages of the new rules where if you lose the centre clearance easily you are going to have an exposed back line. Or if win it can possibly score more easily yourself.

These 22’s all look pretty strong across all lines - it’s hard not to genuinely think our list looks in the best shape in 20 odd years.

Not sure of the team composition- but I reckon barring any hiccups - Laverde will be in that R1 side.

2 Likes

I’d seriously consider paying Hurley on Toby green. Ambrose on Cameron. Hooker/Francis on resting ruck/himmelberg.

Green loves out marking defenders his own size.

Centre, 2x rovers, 2x wings = 500 % tog
Most of what I’ve seen and myself have Hep, Shiel, Zaka, Merrett, Myers, Smith, McGrath, Langford and Parish starting and they all should spend most of there time through the midfield. You’d expect the avg. tog for them would come to 70-75%, maybe higher.
75% x 9 = 675%
So even if they share 100% of 1 fwd role which could be an extra midfielder and play 5 fwd. It still leaves 75% of time of filling either another fwd role or a defence role.
The more I think about it the less likely I see us playing a 7th defender as I think all 9 of those mids are better players then the 7th selected defender.

I just don’t see where the is room for lav with JD and smack playing and additional height provided by a rotation of stringer, Myers, and Langford. If you’re telling they’re leaving Myers or Langford out I can see it but both are clearly ahead in terms of midfield craft. I couldn’t see him pushing I’m ahead of anyone else.

1 Like