Best 22 - Round 2

I managed to back up and post twice without recovering…

2 Likes

Suprised a few have Ambrose missing, he’s a must in for me, close to 1st defender picked.

9 Likes

Did Ivan do the best 22 of his best 22 posts. Opportunity missed while in isolation.

2 Likes

ivans gone the best 24 in the best 22 thread for good measure. classic

2 Likes

C’mon, … it’d be a TOP TEN Ivan Best 22 posts.

Get with the program… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So we won’t be fielding a team for round 2 based on the lack of exposed form?

Forgot about Big Red. It will be Francis in for Zerk unfortunately.

1 Like

I think Ridley is a lock. Zerk more likely to be replaced.

3 Likes

Just a team structure thing for me. Zerk back, Hooker forward. Francis is better than Ridley.

1 Like

Lets see how they pull up after the Saturday full contact training!

B: Saad Hurley Francis
HB: Redman Ridley Ambrose
C: Langford Shiel Cutler
HF Smith McKernan McDonald-Tipungwuti
F: Townsend Hooker Stringer
R: Belly McGrath Zerrett
Int: Parish Zaka Snelling Laverde
Emg: Heppell (don’t rush him back), Zerk-Thatcher, Gleeson, Draper (Phillips if Draper not ready)

Id take Heppell to Sydney as the travelling emergency. Barrack get the boys up, but give his foot an extra week unless he is feeling cherry ripe. Maybe make him the runner lol.
If Redman still sore - Gleeson in
If Hurley still sore - Zerk-Thatcher in

I doubt Draper will be ready to be considered for anything before Phillips. He isn’t even in full training yet.

1 Like

If Laverde is best 22 then EFC is in serious trouble.

1 Like

I’d agree with almost all of that, with a few minor tweaks in backline positioning.
But if Hooker is forward, then I’d drop Laverde for Guelfi as small defensive cover.

Don’t think a forward line of Smack, Hooker, Stringer and Laverde is functional to lock the ball in.
Townsend has essentially taken Laverde’s spot, based on his last game.

Leaving aside the wild card of Stewart, which would mean Hooker back, and then it’s chaos selection

I would say Ridley given the chance is his equal. See pre-season and round 1, Ridley was the better player. Francis could become a star, but nowhere near it yet.

2 Likes

Yeh I tossed up with a few for the last spot including Gleeson. If Heppell was 100% Laverde most likely first out (thats why hes named last).
I would love to see Laverde played in other positions at half back, as then he would be a easier selection. I just feel like Laverde is still ready to break out has had a geat pre season.
I guess in my mind im imagining a hard tough adonis Laverde that could play half back or half forward, even midfield.

If we dont play laverde, and he cant play reserves, just feel his development will stall and probably delisted end of the year, which would be a shame given what we have invested in him.

With Backline positioning - I’d love to see Ridley play tall on one of their young talls - like Lizard or MCCartin if he plays forward
Lizard - Ridley
McCartin - Hurley
Heeney - Francis
Papley - Saad

Pretty much my 22 but I would have Ham in place of Cutler.

I love Ham too, but feel we gotta back in our pickup of cutler early in the year, and think the match committee will.
Cutler and Langford on the wings will give us height on the outside as well.

1 Like

I’d go for experience after a long lay off

B: Ambrose Hurley Francis
HB: Saad Hooker Redman
C: Cutler Shiel Zaharakis
HF: Smith McKernan Stringer
F: Walla Townsend Laverde
Foll: Bellchambers McGrath Merrett
I/C: Heppell McKenna Parish Ridley
Emg: Phillips Langford Snelling Gleeson

Really wanted to find a spot for Snelling and I think he will play. Just think Laverde is more important to the structure of that forward line given his height. Also reckon he’ll be given another chance after his stellar pre season.

1 Like

Best 22 players unavailable/not ready for selection

• JD, Fantasia & McKenna

From available list

B: Saad Hooker Hurley
HB: Ridley Ambrose Redman
C: Cutler Heppell Zaharakis
HF: Smith Stewart* TIPPA
F: Snelling Smack Stringer
R: Belly Shiel Zerrett

B: McGrath Parish Townsend* Guelfi*

If Hooker plays forward: Zerk in, Stewart out.

Unlucky players of course

Phillips. Just needs to bide his time. Could just as easily play over Belly, but they must rate his tap work higher.

Francis really needs Hurley to miss to play in that preferred 3rd tall defender role, he’s proven nothing really as a 1 on 1 defender. Zerk has already though.

And Francis also not capable of the running needed as a HBF’r or minding smaller players which they seemingly have confidence in Ridley to do, over Gleeson also.

Langford / Ham might want to spike Zaka’s thurs training shake with some turbo lax to grab that wing spot