Best list since 2000

Just putting it out there but is this our best list since 2000??? I think it is…well balanced, depth in most position, good age and game demographics … I think we’re in brilliant shape despite losing draft picks… Thoughts ??

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Captain Jack regarding QuoteLink
A reply to: @Odons regarding QuoteLink
I like the optimism and think it's accurate, agree it's our best side since the 2000 era ('00-'03).

We’re a good team now and really close to being a top team, just missing some quality pace in the midfield and forward line.

Watson deserves a premiership but is running out of time. Don’t think it will be 2015, maybe 2016. After that Watson and Goddard will be on the slide. It’s tight!

Watson deserves a premiership? How so? ls he anymore deserving than any other player?

In my opinion, yes. Jobe is a gun and a winner, has worked his butt off to succeed as an individual and as a team and led our team through the most turmultuous, critical and controversial period in history.

Deserves one like many Brownlow winners and/or great captains of the past deserved one.

I think everything is pretty much in place for us. Defense is at a good enough standard, midfield is chock full of talent and experience (pity they wont be a unit for long). Belly and Giles are good ruckmen and we have a few to back them up. Carlisle and Joe need to play like they have an extra season under their belts for it to click. That’s the place where things need to improve a lot. They should have the right support around them with Chappy, Winders, Ambrose and the rotating mids. The other thing that has to change is this habit of losing concentration, confidence, dropping the head, spitting the dummy or whatever this thing is that makes us go off the boil for half a game. I get the impression that Hird had this under control in 2013 until the ASADA stuff got to us.

A reply to: @The Bomb regarding QuoteLink

For us to really press hard in 2015, the gap between the players best footy and worst footy need to be closed.

Howlett, Carlisle, Zaharakis, Bellchambers, Stanton, Winderlich, Melksham, J Merrett some of the main culprits.

Well consistency is something to be aimed for thats definite.

I would just like to point out that players do not play in a vacuum and the quality of the opponent they have to deal with varies from week to week.
Sometimes they have to play on a player thats, well, not to put fine point on it, much better than they are. Under those circumstances, allowances have to be made, they can only do their best.

Further, I would say that now , with greater depth in the side and younger players needing to get game time, players must not play when they have a significant injury. Swan proved that at Collingwood, Stanton showed it in the last half of 2014.

Finally if the player is out of form, a choice has to be made, drop them to the VFL, or play them into form in the AFL its only the top 10-12 players that should be in the latter category. Remember last year, they played Hibbo back into form in the AFL. They dropped Melk and Jerret.

For us to really press hard in 2015, the gap between the players best footy and worst footy need to be closed.

Howlett, Carlisle, Zaharakis, Bellchambers, Stanton, Winderlich, Melksham, J Merrett some of the main culprits.

We have a decent list but still some small holes. Outside pace is something we lack (but hopefully with the two new drafties this could be covered). We just need another forward and we’ll be set.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @wimmera1 regarding QuoteLink
Mercuri was a shadow of the player he was from 2001. JJ was still very good, Hird goes without saying. Caracella slackened right off from 2002.

We had a great side on paper, not on the park.

We did have a potential Premiership side in 2001, so maybe that’s when people should be looking from.

Not great, but still pretty good, we were in the last 6 alive until 2004 and in with a shot in a couple of those semis. I’m not convinced we’re that good, yet, as we haven’t done that once.

Add a couple more at the coal face and take out a couple of the plonkers and all those other outside and spine pieces start to really do some damage again. Other than Mercuri, Gaz and Cara they were all largely still capable.
And, of course, Rama. :frowning:
Couldn’t see that coming.

I’d have to confirm but I would say that 2004 vs 2015 would show very different age demographics
2004 we would have gone in knowing what 90% of the top 25 were going to dish up
2015 is very different in that we’ve got a dozen who could range from game breaker to VFL

YES

2001 was pretty good too, but I get your point! :wink:

Yep, it probably looks as good as any year since then.

The proof will be in the results of course and that’ll depend on how the midfield and especially the forwards improve. The back half will only improve I expect, barring injury.

There’s experience galore into the midfield now, with some depth. They should excel. Needs pace however.

The forwards need to convert and Carlisle and Daniher need to monster their opponents. Their time is nigh.

True. There’s very little dead wood this season. But as others have said, we are playing a dangerous game topping up the list with over 28s.

I think/ hope that’s a gamble that will pay off.

As far as on field success: All depends on Daniher and Carlisle.

If they turn it on- We’re laughing.

Nah, the list was stronger in 2001-03 than it is now, we just couldn’t get them fit enough.

Even in 2004 the list looked good

I’d say it could be our best since then, but that’ll depend on how we pull them together. We have a remarkable number of on-field leaders, very strong personalities like Goddard, Chapman, Watson, Myers, Hocking, Cooney, Hooksy, not to mention future captain Heppell. I doubt any club apart from Hawthorn and Sydney has the range of leaders that we have, and if Hird can pull these guys together it will take every ounce of his own leadership and skill. But if he can get them working as a unit then this will be our best team for 10 years.

I just want to win a final. One final. Then I can go home and watch the replay over and over again until my eyes fall out.

I reckon it may be close.

If only…we could put everyone except our forwards in stasis for 3-4 years…

A reply to: @Humbert Humbert regarding QuoteLink

I'd say it could be our best since then, but that'll depend on how we pull them together. We have a remarkable number of on-field leaders, very strong personalities like Goddard, Chapman, Watson, Myers, Hocking, Cooney, Hooksy, not to mention future captain Heppell. I doubt any club apart from Hawthorn and Sydney has the range of leaders that we have, and if Hird can pull these guys together it will take every ounce of his own leadership and skill. But if he can get them working as a unit then this will be our best team for 10 years.

I just want to win a final. One final. Then I can go home and watch the replay over and over again until my eyes fall out.

I am absolutely sure that the leaders that you mention would leave their egos in the carpark outside the G if it came down to winning a final, a prelim or a grand final. Its a glittering prize and I am confident they would try their hardest to win, every time.

I honestly think we can win the flag next season if the forward line produces

I’m not sure it’s better than last year’s list.

No one quarter efforts, ASADA off our backs & have a fully functioning forward line and the flag is as good as ours.

I’d love to share your enthusiasm, however the ball movement and handling skills of Hawthorn just seems so far ahead of what we have shown over the past years.
It’s hard to imagine that we will make such a jump in 1 year - frankly I don’t think a lot of our senior players are really in that class.
I would be happy if we move up the ladder and win a final or 2.

We need to start winning finals… Watson and Goddard aren’t getting younger. We should have won against Norf which is heartbreaking

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink

I'm not sure it's better than last year's list.

Paul. If you are right its down to whether Hirdy can turn a list that can play top football for1 quarter into a team that can play 3-4 quarters of top football for 22 rounds.

I like the optimism and think it’s accurate, agree it’s our best side since the 2000 era ('00-'03).

We’re a good team now and really close to being a top team, just missing some quality pace in the midfield and forward line.

Watson deserves a premiership but is running out of time. Don’t think it will be 2015, maybe 2016. After that Watson and Goddard will be on the slide. It’s tight!