Best list since 2000

back to back world champs coming up.

anything is possible really

got some skillful youth coming through, got one of the best young KPFs in the game getting into his groove a bit, got a star studded albeit aging patchwork midfield that could be great or could be embarassingly old folky, got the best defensive 6 in the leauge

feeling a good year

A reply to: @Odons regarding QuoteLink

I like the optimism and think it's accurate, agree it's our best side since the 2000 era ('00-'03).

We’re a good team now and really close to being a top team, just missing some quality pace in the midfield and forward line.

Watson deserves a premiership but is running out of time. Don’t think it will be 2015, maybe 2016. After that Watson and Goddard will be on the slide. It’s tight!

Watson deserves a premiership? How so? ls he anymore deserving than any other player?

Quoted Post

I like the optimism and think it's accurate, agree it's our best side since the 2000 era ('00-'03).

We’re a good team now and really close to being a top team, just missing some quality pace in the midfield and forward line.

Watson deserves a premiership but is running out of time. Don’t think it will be 2015, maybe 2016. After that Watson and Goddard will be on the slide. It’s tight!

Watson deserves a premiership? How so? ls he anymore deserving than any other player?

More deserving than Ryder

Hopefully carlisle gets himself right. If he had joedan can click, well its gonna be pretty awesome.

But this is where the recruitment of giles is perfect. Even if jake is a bit cooked next year, you’ll see a lot more of giles and belly rotating from ruck/forward

The recruitment of gwilt, allows hurley to push forward when needed and from limited exposure last year up there, he did really well when he was pushed forward

So potentially you could have

• joe/ambrose/belly
    -joe/ambrose/hurley
  • joe/ambrose/carlisle
    -joe/carlisle/belly
    Joe/carlisle/hurley

Whatever way you look at it, we have plenty of flexibility. The recruitment of gwilt and giles was a real good move. At first i questioned picking up gwilt but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Add ■■■■ who will slot into the best 22, laverde who looks like he’s ready for senior footy, the natural progression of guys like zerrett, ambrose, joe, heppell etc with our already proven guns - jobe, bj, chappy, hooker etc and we all of a sudden look quite good. Make no mistake if we sort out fading away for fk knows what reason and this group clicks, we will be a top four side

Fkn oath its our best list since the 00 era

Some good points @westozziebomber, makes me think what a monumental task Pears has to get another contract after next year. We had quite a few players that were forever on the injury list during the lean years. Can’t afford that going forward if we are to be flag contenders.

I’m excited about Kommer, Browne and Hams being able to come in next year if we get some injuries.

We are finally getting depth, not just that but it is talented and quality depth who could all make a claim for a 22 spot when they come in.

They will basically be new recruits next season.

Lloyd, Lucas, Hird, Caracella, Long, the list of match winners goes on. Long way from that group of champions, ie. this group have done nothing yet to be considered equal to or better

I dont think A reply to: @All Things Essendon regarding QuoteLink

Lloyd, Lucas, Hird, Caracella, Long, the list of match winners goes on. Long way from that group of champions, ie. this group have done nothing yet to be considered equal to or better

I dont think anyone’s saying its better. Just that its our best list since that side/era

This time last year the forward line looked our weak link, the season just finished showed us glimpses of what’s possible. If belly, JOEDAN, jake, patty and others stay fit then it will take a lot of stopping them…

Also, we shouldn’t forget Fatastico, has been under the radar this preseason, could be one of many to watch…along with Browne, Hams, Kommer… Some real tough nuts there.

LID OFF.

A reply to: @Humble NSW Fan regarding QuoteLink

This time last year the forward line looked our weak link, the season just finished showed us glimpses of what's possible. If belly, JOEDAN, jake, patty and others stay fit then it will take a lot of stopping them...

Also, we shouldn’t forget Fatastico, has been under the radar this preseason, could be one of many to watch…along with Browne, Hams, Kommer… Some real tough nuts there.

LID OFF.

Seen Fantasia the other day and was disappointed to see he hasn’t put on any size, no doubt the kid has a bit of pace and can find a goal but his body just isn’t AFL ready yet, can’t see him playing next year.

I think the next young small forward that will fire for us will be Jerrett, dude looks set for a big 2015.

The whole “body isnt ready for afl” is a myth i reckon. If you’ve got the talent you’ll succeed. Brad hill is a great example

Edwards has my vote for next season, at this stage.

A reply to: @westozziebomber regarding QuoteLink

The whole "body isnt ready for afl" is a myth i reckon. If you've got the talent you'll succeed. Brad hill is a great example

Brad Hill is around 78kg, Orazio would be lucky to be 70kg atm…there’s plenty of time for Fantasia yet but he needs to start adding a little muscle for his own safety and longevity in the game.

No doubt he has talent but would not crack best 32 right now.

If we still had Ryder I would argue we are in the box seat, but we should def still try for top 4 ez.

A reply to: @Captain Jack regarding QuoteLink

In my opinion, yes. Jobe is a gun and a winner, has worked his butt off to succeed as an individual and as a team and led our team through the most turmultuous, critical and controversial period in history.

Remember 6 of hawthorns best in the GF where 30 years and older … Where in good shape!!!

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Captain Jack regarding QuoteLink

In my opinion, yes. Jobe is a gun and a winner, has worked his butt off to succeed as an individual and as a team and led our team through the most turmultuous, critical and controversial period in history.

Not disputing any of the above, but how does the equate to deserving of a premiership? If your team is good enough and you get a good run with injuries, you might get a crack at one, but there are no givens in games/sport. Jobe is certainly a player worthy of holding up the cup and is an ornament of the game.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Coolbreeze regarding QuoteLink
Remember 6 of hawthorns best in the GF where 30 years and older .... Where in good shape!!!
I hope Noonan does not see this post.

Simple. There were 6 ‘hawthorns’ and they are both 30 and also older than 30. I’m not sure in what location their good shape is though.

A reply to: @HowManyGoal? regarding QuoteLink

Quoted PostThe other thing that has to change is this habit of losing concentration, confidence, dropping the head, spitting the dummy or whatever this thing is that makes us go off the boil for half a game. I get the impression that Hird had this under control in 2013 until the ASADA stuff got to us AFLPA informed us of the predetermined penalty.
Fixed.