Best Music Covers of all time

To be honest, a LOT of 70s artists did the same or similar, to a lesser or greater extent. It wasn’t a big deal then, seemingly.
It only became an issue in the 80s and 90s where recordings started to be more of a big deal than live shows, and exacerbated in the 2000s and 2010s when record companies started spending more on lawyers than artists…

1 Like

I think better or worse is a silly debate to get too worked up about.
The question(to me, at least) is does the cover offer something new?

Some of them… don’t. I’m looking at you, Alphaville

Um…you mean the original version released in 1984?

I’ve got it wrong, haven’t I? Who was the Aus (Sydney?) band who did it mid 2000s?
Singer guy looked like a brunette Garfunkel. Anyway, that version was pretty much completey pointless.

Yeh, that’s the one posted earlier in this thread. Dreary and dull. Think even the band came to regard it as a millstone (same with The Lemonheads and Mrs. Robinson)

1 Like

I’m assuming we’re not posting the R Harris version now?

Here’s a question for the music nerds.
Has anybody done a good version of a Queen song?

Not sure whether to regard the current verison of Queen as a cover band or not, let’s say no for now.

I can’t think of a good version of a Queen song off the top of my head. But I can give you undoubtedly the worst ever cover.

For full listening pleasure, listen to at least the chorus.

3 Likes

“Time is on my side” by Michael Balotin (better known by his stage name, Michael Bolton)

You will thank me later. (Or not)

A Tie

That is truly horrible

I love this as it’s not what you’d expect…

1 Like

I first heard the Foo’s version on the X-Files’ tv soundtrack from the 90s IIRC.

2 Likes

This one (by Extreme) is reasonable enough. Don’t know if it is an improvement on the original per se though…

Dolly wins.

I know, Dylan sucks.

1 Like

Oh, that’s special! Sounds like someone is trying to strangle him while he sings. Sadly they don’t succeed.

It’s certainly something.

If you’re up for some arcane 70s & 80s music nerdery, I recommend the “Beyond Yacht Rock” poscast.