Best Music Video of all time?

Not really impressed by music “Videos” in the main, but was just watching this again on Rage and remembered how much I loved the clip … a worthy contender for the title I reckon …

(PS… Live stuff need not apply, … it’s about the art & creativity of the clip)

4 Likes

Not in my music collection…but…I vaguely recall this music video was praised when it came out. Celebrates NZ’s main export:

…and as I was searching for it, the “OK Go” song with the dancing on the treadmills came up as well.

3 Likes

That ones a classic isn’t it?

Would make a worthy contender definitely.

LOL, looks like we’re in for a Michel Gondry best of.

If you stick to the theme, you have to include his most famous one.

14 Likes

Girls on film

/thread

8 Likes

Wasn’t that just fkn insane when it came out??

Blew everyone away … then …

9 Likes

Even though i did just go and watch a few more of Gondry’s vids, First 3 posted in a row was enough for the time being.

To change tack, Tools videos always blew my mind and considering they were made by the guitarist, its even more phenomenal.

8 Likes

We’re all sport lovers here:

2 Likes

honourable mention

Rhythm & grit & detached intensity.

7 Likes

For me, it is coin toss between these 2 from the same
artist, both are inventive and fun. Generally l find music videos distracting, but these two enhance the songs, in ways that most don’t. The first one is over 30 years old.

5 Likes

I love this one:

6 Likes

My fave

5 Likes

Anything by Peaches

iconic

4 Likes

Song’s not exactly my cuppa, but it’s a great clip

9 Likes

that song drove everyone fking nuts when it came out. it was one of those songs that was played so often, that you could change the radio station and would hear it on 3-4 different stations simultaneously.

1 Like

Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer was an exceptionally good music video although I don’t like the song particularly. The video was good enough that I’d watch it despite this.

Michael Jackson’s Thriller was a great video.

I really like Radiohead’s Just too. And although I am not a fan of the music I do enjoy the music video for The Foo Fighters’ Big Me (I think if it’s the one parodying the Mentos ads).

Queen’s I Want To Break Free is iconic for the fact that it pushed boundaries for its time so much that it got banned in a number of (conservative) US States.

I agree with the Girls on Film nomination too.

But my favourite is Beastie Boy’s Sabotage. Also makes me think of Bargearse from the D-Gen Late Show.

6 Likes

Can’t believe these guys haven’t been mentioned yet. The grand masters of music videos.

These are just my three favourites, there are about a dozen others that are just as inventive.

6 Likes