Best Music Video of all time?

Legend. I was just getting into this thread and thought, man Velouria is my choice cos it’s so different and so nothing, and then there was your post. Thumbs up.

1 Like

My kind of clip. Rad tune to boot.

2 Likes
4 Likes

And rightly so. Adds to the enigma but it’s nasty, who knows what goes through that man’s mind?

Was gonna post that one the other night but completely forgot. What a balltearer all round.

1 Like

A very classy remix. Many remixes get overly busy, a lot like movie sequels, this one goes the other way, with understatement being the key.

Meanwhile Wim1’s story reminded me of this song. When l first heard it, it was one of those songs that you just can’t get out of your head, and you find yourself walking around the streets singing lines from it days later. I didn’t get any details of this song / clip when l first heard / saw it, and it took me years to find. ln between l asked a lot of people about this song, but no one had a clue about it. I finally found it again after working my way backwards from Mezzanine to Blue Lines. So l was in love with Massive attack, before l knew anything about them.

10 Likes

With all the Massive Attack love, surely we need

8 Likes

This was 1 continuous take. No stopping.

They actually filmed the whole walk 6 times until the cameraman was exhausted.

1 Like

Michael Jackson says, “Yoink!”

I’ve been thinking about this thread a bit, with all of the responses, and it seems that there are at least 5 distinct varieties of answer to the topic. All relevant, and probably all “correct”.

• iconic videos that were visually “out there” or simply innovative, ( ie Ah Ha Take on Me, The Prodigy Smack my bitch up, Daft Punk Around the World)

• videos that evoke a specific/emotive memory to a time/place that is important to the viewer, ( ie AC/DC Long way to the Top, Van Halen Hot for Teacher, The Pixies)

• videos that were “spectacular” in nature- (ie Thriller)

• Low-fi videos that hit a nerve-( The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony)

• Concert-esq/ “live”-type videos that captured the “essence” of the performer, (Alive, Pearl Jam)

I know there’s probably a lot more categories/sub-categories, but if we ever do vote on a top 10, it’s gonna be tough to define the concept of “best”

Oh, and another one for the list- ushered in a whole era

3 Likes

Yeah. Live stuff is not valid, nor I would guess clips of songs that simply “evoke”, … unless of course they are actually amazing clips …

As mentioned in the OP, it’s about the creativity &.art of the film clip.

Seeing as Massive Attack are doing well in this thread, here’s another one that’s quite good, although a little bit depressing.

1 Like

■■■■ it

7 Likes

Yep, was already posted in this thread, #13 post actually. God I love Radiohead and my queen, Bjork.

1 Like

1981 The Jacksons. Can you feel it.

If not the best a candidate for the longest.

1 Like

Hmmm, ok then, what about talking heads stop making sense- live music video directed by jonathan demme that is high art.The image of David Byrne in an ever increasingly large suit is brilliant and unfogettable.
And re the evoke thing- just trying to make a point that the term “best” may be a highly personal and totally subjective concept.
Just my thoughts
but a great thread…

5 Likes

Okay…
What’s the name of the song where a group randoms do a crapola choreographed dance routine in front of a cinema ticket waiting line on a busy night ?

Praise you by fatboy slim

2 Likes

Flash Mob!!!

Bad Juju …