Best non homegrown greats

In my life time the Daniher brothers Terry and Neil are the clear winners, then Wellman, then Goddard. Denham was a very good pick up but we gave away Barnes to get it done who was a much better follower than Somerville.

Neil only played for Essendon. Tony was the other import.

Yes but Neale was steak knives. He was thrown in at his fathers instance. And it played no small part in the other two. Now it's the gift that keeps on giving with the father sons.

Phil Carmen lol

Phil Carmen lol

Graham Carberry says hi.

Not a Well-man.

Phil Carmen lol

Graham Carberry says hi.

I was there at Moorabbin that day, on the outer wing about 30 metres away from the incident. And I completely missed it :(

The best two IMO are Wellman and Goddard. Alan Stoneham and Peter Bennett were both handy. Obviously TD should rate a mention (does anyone remember him carving us up for South Melbourne the first time we played him?

But damn it's hard to find the gems in amongst all the rubbish. Put it this way, if you put the Daniher dynasty to one side you could argue that Hawthorn's current team has done better out of trades than we have in our entire 140 year history.

Phil Carmen lol

Graham Carberry says hi.

I was there at Moorabbin that day, on the outer wing about 30 metres away from the incident. And I completely missed it :(

The best two IMO are Wellman and Goddard. Alan Stoneham and Peter Bennett were both handy. Obviously TD should rate a mention (does anyone remember him carving us up for South Melbourne the first time we played him?

But damn it's hard to find the gems in amongst all the rubbish. Put it this way, if you put the Daniher dynasty to one side you could argue that Hawthorn's current team has done better out of trades than we have in our entire 140 year history.

l was also there at Moorabbin that day as it was walking distance from where l grew up in Wickham Rd. l was about 15 - 20 m from the incident, it happened right in front of me. Gary Sidebottom started it, then Carberry raced in things quickly escalated as he fronted up to Carman, chest to chest. Fabulous Phil then lost it, and that was the end of his career. That was also the end of the game as a contest. You could see players like Madden in particular and Watson wondering what was going on.  

Lloyd.

Not really but suck it freo

Phil Carmen lol

Graham Carberry says hi.

yep but the hawks have Hodge/sewell/Mitchell/lake/Burgoyne all over 30 and all the best part of their best 22. The disappointing thing is now due to free agency they can probably get a player every year and continue topping up with salary cap left from Buddy retiring, plus all their 10 year plus veteran players are getting $112,320 out of salary cap.

Tim Watson, TD, Neale, Wellman, Denham and Goddard are the modern day players that stand out above the rest for me.

Tim Watson, TD, Neale, Wellman, Denham and Goddard are the modern day players that stand out above the rest for me.

Tim Watson? How does he count? He came straight to Essendon as a 15 year-old, following his bro Larry. And Neale only played for us too.

Phil Carmen lol

Graham Carberry says hi.

l was also there at Moorabbin that day as it was walking distance from where l grew up in Wickham Rd. l was about 15 - 20 m from the incident, it happened right in front of me. Gary Sidebottom started it, then Carberry raced in things quickly escalated as he fronted up to Carman, chest to chest. Fabulous Phil then lost it, and that was the end of his career. That was also the end of the game as a contest. You could see players like Madden in particular and Watson wondering what was going on.  

Off on a tangent, I know, but what an amazing day that was. Moorabbin was packed to the rafters, and I seem to remember Jezza was captain/coaching the Saints. We came at them in the last quarter with Merv taking a speccy at one point, then Jezza took a massive grab and maybe goaled (?), and they snuck home by 3 points. I was told that two Saints fans had non-fatal heart attacks in the stands and were treated by paramedics in the final minutes of the game. The Carman report seemed relatively insignificant at the time.

Phil Carmen lol

Graham Carberry says hi.
I was there at Moorabbin that day, on the outer wing about 30 metres away from the incident. And I completely missed it :(
But damn it's hard to find the gems in amongst all the rubbish. Put it this way, if you put the Daniher dynasty to one side you could argue that Hawthorn's current team has done better out of trades than we have in our entire 140 year history.
Off on a tangent, I know, but what an amazing day that was. Moorabbin was packed to the rafters, and I seem to remember Jezza was captain/coaching the Saints. We came at them in the last quarter with Merv taking a speccy at one point, then Jezza took a massive grab and maybe goaled (?), and they snuck home by 3 points. I was told that two Saints fans had non-fatal heart attacks in the stands and were treated by paramedics in the final minutes of the game. The Carman report seemed relatively insignificant at the time.
I was down at the scoreboard end with Dad which was where we used to stand when we played at Moorabbin. Didn't get a good view of the incident as it was the other end of the ground.

TD then daylight

Barnard- we really could do with a player like him these days

I always thought barnard was terribly overrated

TD is the obvious stand out from players I’ve seen. Wellman and Denham were great contributors during a very strong period for the club.

Tim Watson? How does he count? He came straight to Essendon as a 15 year-old, following his bro Larry. And Neale only played for us too.

We picked him up from West Coast before the 93 premiership - what a coup.