Best of the Draftee reporters?

As we get closer to the draft, I like to read up on what the people in journalism field write about the kids and where they will go in their Mock/phantom draft… it got me wondering who has been more accurate over time? Cal Twomey or Emma Quayle?

Who do you think is the best “scout” of those in the know?

Emma has been in the game a lot longer than Cal. Her strength IMO is that she takes an interest in and writes on the personal makeups of the kids. She is not just “good kick, less endurance” etc etc. But she can do that too. Her mock draft a few days before the real thing is the one to look for , clubs and draftees trust her and she usually gets the order pretty close. I’d describe Emma as “holistic”. She said a few weeks back that she thought she would like a job in recruiting. It would be interesting.

Cal is good and following in Quayle’s footsteps to an extent, focussing more on junior footy.

Brett Anderson -inside footy - seems to see a lot of the kids play and offers pretty clear opinions. Eg- He always thought Jaeksch was over-rated in his draft year.

Shifter Sheahan is the interesting one. I don’t really rate him, despite seeing virtually every kid in the country. I sometimes feel he promotes the draft in general rather than give an analytical opinion.

A few years back, our own Humble Minion was as valid an opinion giver as many in terms of Vic boys. But I don’t think he’s getting to a whole lot of games ATM.

What sal said, basically.

Emma Q knows a lot and has all the best contacts, but her flaw (if you can call it that) is that she really gets to know all the kids, likes them, and wants them to succeed, which means she doesn’t really dwell on their downsides at all.

Cal is pretty good and a bit more analytical, doesn’t get the inside word from as many recruiters etc as Emma does, cos he hasn’t been in the game as long and cos he’s in the end an AFL guy which means clubs are less willing to trust him.

Sheahan, yeah, I’m with sal. Don’t rate him that much. I suspect he really knows a lot about all of the kids but isn’t really interested in putting any details out there. Just talks up anyone at any given time depending on what he’s asked.

Knightmare on bigfooty is very knowledgable - i don’t always agree with him but he’s always worth reading. As for myself, my record is mixed (as is everyone’s) but I’ve had a pretty average winter, been very unwell, and haven’t seen many games unfortunately, so there’s lots of blokes I can’t really have an opinion on this year.

Emma Q knows a lot and has all the best contacts, but her flaw (if you can call it that) is that she really gets to know all the kids, likes them, and wants them to succeed, which means she doesn’t really dwell on their downsides at all.

Cal is pretty good and a bit more analytical, doesn’t get the inside word from as many recruiters etc as Emma does, cos he hasn’t been in the game as long and cos he’s in the end an AFL guy which means clubs are less willing to trust him.

Sheahan, yeah, I’m with sal. Don’t rate him that much. I suspect he really knows a lot about all of the kids but isn’t really interested in putting any details out there. Just talks up anyone at any given time depending on what he’s asked.

Knightmare on bigfooty is very knowledgable - i don’t always agree with him but he’s always worth reading. As for myself, my record is mixed (as is everyone’s) but I’ve had a pretty average winter, been very unwell, and haven’t seen many games unfortunately, so there’s lots of blokes I can’t really have an opinion on this year.

yeh - like reading Nightmare’s overview and don’t mind Snoopdog either (as distinct from Fogdog!). NM’s overview of Essendon’s draft as it stands FWIW:

"I always feel forgetting needs and going best available is the way to go through the draft, and if/where possible look to fill list holes through free agency/trade.

If Essendon end up with that collection of selections I would likely be looking at:
4. Aaron Francis
5. Clayton Oliver (a reach or would be considered to be by most, but I like him and for Essendon’s list love the fit he offers as a possible Watson successor)
23. Kieran Collins
25. Ryan Clarke
41. Brandon White
59. Mason Redman
77. Michael Hartley

RD4: Daniel Capiron
RD22: Nicholas Coughlan
RD40: *any one of: Tom Phillips/Kade Answerth/David Cuningham/Darcy Cameron

Regarding your list needs it would certainly not get you your key forward. But I’m finding many of the key forwards to be relatively overrated this year - such as Weideman and the McKay boys. So as a result while it’s a pressing list need. I’d outside the draft look certainly for a key forward and likely a ruckman also look beyond the draft.
Lycett as a ruck I like. Maybe Casboult as a key forward if he is availableish given those others on the market are well overpriced. Jack Watts is the other while unpopular still a cheap but in my view while not a genuine key forward still an undervalued tall forward that comes to mind.

So that’s a rough feel as to what I’d be looking at/hoping for in Essendon’s situation if the picks work out that way."

who cares, we only deal with Barratt and Wilson.

If Essendon end up with that collection of selections I would likely be looking at:

RD4: Daniel Capiron
RD22: Nicholas Coughlan

Oh man, Humbert’s going to kill you/Nightmare for that…

That benefit bloke is a genius when it comes to the indigenous kids… Wait who said that?

Who is benefit?

Emma has been in the game a lot longer than Cal. Her strength IMO is that she takes an interest in and writes on the personal makeups of the kids. She is not just "good kick, less endurance" etc etc. But she can do that too. Her mock draft a few days before the real thing is the one to look for , clubs and draftees trust her and she usually gets the order pretty close. I'd describe Emma as "holistic". She said a few weeks back that she thought she would like a job in recruiting. It would be interesting.

Cal is good and following in Quayle’s footsteps to an extent, focussing more on junior footy.

Brett Anderson -inside footy - seems to see a lot of the kids play and offers pretty clear opinions. Eg- He always thought Jaeksch was over-rated in his draft year.

Shifter Sheahan is the interesting one. I don’t really rate him, despite seeing virtually every kid in the country. I sometimes feel he promotes the draft in general rather than give an analytical opinion.

A few years back, our own Humble Minion was as valid an opinion giver as many in terms of Vic boys. But I don’t think he’s getting to a whole lot of games ATM.

He thought Brayshaw was overrated too FWIW.

yeh - like reading Nightmare’s overview and don’t mind Snoopdog either (as distinct from Fogdog!). NM’s overview of Essendon’s draft as it stands FWIW:

"I always feel forgetting needs and going best available is the way to go through the draft, and if/where possible look to fill list holes through free agency/trade.

1. Clayton Oliver (a reach or would be considered to be by most, but I like him and for Essendon’s list love the fit he offers as a possible Watson successor)"

LOL.
To surmise:
“Best available over needs but I feel they need this guy even though he’s not generally considered best available”

“Best available” is such a crock.

To be fair, it’s hard enough to understand the 100+ talent in the shop window — understanding all 18 teams as well is asking for way too much finesse.

Make benefit glorious nation of TIPPA

1 Like

It’s also worth commenting on what is accuracy. Picking who clubs pick, who gets drafted or who has a great career.

Not sure anyone really goes back and assesses who had a great career. And most don’t try and predict that anyway.

That benefit bloke is a genius when it comes to the indigenous kids....... Wait who said that?

No one… ever

awwww…I feel sad for Ben McKay. I hope we take him with an early pick.

Emma, Cal, Minion and Dunlop are the opinions I respect the most regarding the draftees/u18s talent. Ant555 used to be the blitz guru and one I enjoyed hearing from.

I have practically zero idea about the talent out there. I just get snippets here and there about which recruiters are meeting which players.

My two I am watching closely this year are the McKay brothers who are from out my way in Gippsland. They’re Essebdon supporting twins. Cal Twomey wrote an article about them recently and I believe Emma is currently writing one after catching up with them a week ago.

Essendon met the McKay family on Thursday night. They’re managed by Scott Lucas.

Harry is expected to be drafted between picks 15 and 20. Ben was expected to be drafted very late (70 plus) but his late season form has recruiters expecting he will go 30 - 50. I’d take a risk with our round two pick if we get a second one for Melksham (pick 25ish).

Their preference is not to be recruited to the same club.

The Swans have already promised to rookie Ben if he is overlooked in the ND.

Whatever happened to Ant 555…???

Emma, Cal, Minion and Dunlop are the opinions I respect the most regarding the draftees/u18s talent. Ant555 used to be the blitz guru and one I enjoyed hearing from.

I have practically zero idea about the talent out there. I just get snippets here and there about which recruiters are meeting which players.

My two I am watching closely this year are the McKay brothers who are from out my way in Gippsland. They’re Essebdon supporting twins. Cal Twomey wrote an article about them recently and I believe Emma is currently writing one after catching up with them a week ago.

Essendon met the McKay family on Thursday night. They’re managed by Scott Lucas.

Harry is expected to be drafted between picks 15 and 20. Ben was expected to be drafted very late (70 plus) but his late season form has recruiters expecting he will go 30 - 50. I’d take a risk with our round two pick if we get a second one for Melksham (pick 25ish).

It’s an occupational hazard of being an online ‘draft expert’ that people hate you for your opinions and abuse you every time you come online, and continually rub your incorrect calls (everyone has them) in your face for the next ten years. I believe a draft poster on here (not ant555) eventually gave up cos some numpty continually harassed, cyberstalked, signed them up for ■■■■ mailing lists, etc etc etc.

I’ve been (so far) spared the worst of this rubbish cos I mostly post here and not on bigfooty, which is an order of magnitude worse. Ant555 I believe posted in both places, and (I think, not 100% sure on this) got cheesed off by the sheer volume of fucknuttery directed in his direction and just decided not to bother any more.

He’d had some health problems too, which didn’t help, and was in a lot of pain most of the time.

It’s an occupational hazard of being an online ‘draft expert’ that people hate you for your opinions and abuse you every time you come online, and continually rub your incorrect calls (everyone has them) in your face for the next ten years. I believe a draft poster on here (not ant555) eventually gave up cos some numpty continually harassed, cyberstalked, signed them up for ■■■■ mailing lists, etc etc etc.

I’ve been (so far) spared the worst of this rubbish cos I mostly post here and not on bigfooty, which is an order of magnitude worse. Ant555 I believe posted in both places, and (I think, not 100% sure on this) got cheesed off by the sheer volume of fucknuttery directed in his direction and just decided not to bother any more.

He’d had some health problems too, which didn’t help, and was in a lot of pain most of the time.

There is an Ant555 who posts every now and then on BF (at least he used to, I haven’t been over there in a while) is that the same guy?

What a truly astonishing thing to abuse someone online about. Not surprising of course, it is the internet after all.

ant555 left here before he left BF