Best smell

This stuff has an intoxicating effect on me.

Mrs. Robinson?

Then stop drinking it.

This stuff has an intoxicating effect on me.

Racist.

For those oldies in Melbourne - there used to be a cookie outlet at Myers on Bourke St. My mum used to take me there occasionally. For many years after she passed away, that specific smell used to bring her back, more than anything ever could. Sadly, it is no longer.

somewhat off topic, but i think this sort of thing is pretty common. smells and tastes can conjure up very vivid memories. sometimes very nostalgic and sad, sometimes just randomly weird. case in point - chicken loaf instantly returns me 35+ years to primary school prep. specifically to the washbag thing we had to take to the taps in the breezeway to wash our hands before we were allowed to eat. And its somehow tied to these coloured paper chains we had to make and hang around the classroom for christmas decoration. Absolutely No idea why its that specific vision.

Up at the farm thereā€™s still an old tub of Old Spice Shaving soap. One whiff of that and Grandpa could climb out of his urn and i wouldnā€™t be the least surprised. Same with Gear Oil or welding flux out in the shed. id give up a lot that that could still happen. Alas.

Ive got stacks of these sorts of things. Iā€™ll often totally forget them until the next time it crops up. theyā€™re generally fun though.

oh.

Bacon.

1 Like

I used to love the smell of fuel at the airport when I was a kid. They changed it about 15 years ago and now itā€™s no good. Still miss it.

I used to love the smell of fuel at the airport when I was a kid. They changed it about 15 years ago and now it's no good. Still miss it.

hahahaā€¦I remember being a little kid, and my older sister and I would stick our heads out the car window to smell the fuel as Dad (or attendant) filled up the car at the service station :slight_smile:

Oh - and I love the smell of acetone - or whatever it is in nail polish remover.

Sims Sports

For those oldies in Melbourne - there used to be a cookie outlet at Myers on Bourke St. My mum used to take me there occasionally. For many years after she passed away, that specific smell used to bring her back, more than anything ever could. Sadly, it is no longer.

somewhat off topic, but i think this sort of thing is pretty common. smells and tastes can conjure up very vivid memories. sometimes very nostalgic and sad, sometimes just randomly weird. case in point - chicken loaf instantly returns me 35+ years to primary school prep. specifically to the washbag thing we had to take to the taps in the breezeway to wash our hands before we were allowed to eat. And its somehow tied to these coloured paper chains we had to make and hang around the classroom for christmas decoration. Absolutely No idea why its that specific vision.

Up at the farm thereā€™s still an old tub of Old Spice Shaving soap. One whiff of that and Grandpa could climb out of his urn and i wouldnā€™t be the least surprised. Same with Gear Oil or welding flux out in the shed. id give up a lot that that could still happen. Alas.

Ive got stacks of these sorts of things. Iā€™ll often totally forget them until the next time it crops up. theyā€™re generally fun though.

The reverse is also true. I like going back through old photos and being recalled of the smell of the place in that moment. If it was worth remembering, that is.

I used to love the smell of fuel at the airport when I was a kid. They changed it about 15 years ago and now it's no good. Still miss it.

hahahaā€¦I remember being a little kid, and my older sister and I would stick our heads out the car window to smell the fuel as Dad (or attendant) filled up the car at the service centre :slight_smile:

Oh - and I love the smell of acetone - or whatever it is in nail polish remover.

Iā€™m like that with warm tar.

hahahaā€¦I remember being a little kid, and my older sister and I would stick our heads out the car window to smell the fuel as Dad (or attendant) filled up the car at the service centre :slight_smile:

How was it on them grand old pirate ships, eh?

Jolly

Jolly

Roger that

I love the smell of rogering in the morning.

My family on Dadā€™s side owned car dealerships, bus companies and roadhouses.Strangely, my childhood obsession with mechanics and vehicles didnā€™t follow thought, but I love the smell of oil, grease and fuel.

Cut grass

Cut grass

Yep. Only if its been a bit damp though. And even better if its about to rain on a warm day and you can scent some sweetness in the rain coming.

Cut grass

Yep. Only if its been a bit damp though. And even better if its about to rain on a warm day and you can scent some sweetness in the rain coming.

Yeah, and it has brownies squashed in it and someone dropped a bit of vanilla aftershave on their way to the front door on a cloudless evening in May.