BHP launch Indigenous scholarship scheme - Cue Andrew Bolt

Not sure if threadworthy or gunna get gurged as verging on politics buuuut

Are the various Indig scholarships and grants etc means tested? Above article says his old man’s a dentist, and generally they’re not short of a bob. I’m not sure I’m comfortable with someone who’s folks are worth squillions getting looked after?

Either way, giving a bit of money (wow! 22k a year! must be about a zillionth of a percentage of their net profit…) achieves the stated aim - of making a few BHP execs feel slightly nicer about ■■■■■■■■ on lots of indigenous people’s lands.

The really disadvantaged guys are going to struggle to take advantage of a scheme like this though.

So. cue Andrew Bolt because mister Hill doesn’t look very black? I doubt Bolt will respond as it’s not public money.
Anyway, since when do private scholarships involve means testing?

Anyway, since when do private scholarships involve means testing?
Just gonna highlight that bit

All depends on how you market the scholarship I reckon. If you want to make it look like the scholarship is there to help disadvantaged minorities but in reality it only goes to the advantaged few in those minorities, then yeah, it matters.

I’m not convinced that is what is happening here though, FWIW.

All depends on how you market the scholarship I reckon. If you want to make it look like the scholarship is there to help disadvantaged minorities but in reality it only goes to the advantaged few in those minorities, then yeah, it matters.

I’m not convinced that is what is happening here though, FWIW.

It is interesting though, I don’t know what to think.

the guys wearing a $50 T Shirt, completing a double degree, probably already earning over $100K (plus super ****) with parents that have professional jobs. He would hardly appear to be a struggling student, let alone one from what I would imagine would represent indigenous students that need a leg up.

There’d be other young people out there starting from such a long way back that this type of incentive won’t even be an option.

Good on him though, and hopefully he can do well to represent his community.

So. cue Andrew Bolt because mister Hill doesn't look very black? I doubt Bolt will respond as it's not public money. Anyway, since when do private scholarships involve means testing?
True, I should've made it clear I was thinking generally, not just in this specific case. But even for cheap marketing, sorry scholarships, surely it's better for them to pick a rags-to-riches story, rather than some middle class guy?

I bet it had absolutely nothing to do with his academic prowess

[/SARCASM]

Geez, maybe I had BHP pegged all wrong…

I bet it had absolutely nothing to do with his academic prowess

[/SARCASM]

Yeah, outrageous that they chose the best indigenous student. Its not like they stated that the award was given to outstanding indigenous students studying mining engineering.