Big Sammy Draper - #1 ruckman now #2

His disposal looked fine to me. There was even a point he seemed like a midfielder where he got the ball and turned, ran a bit and kicked it in quickly I think towards Hooker. It may have been the third term if anyone there remembers it.

1 Like

I was gonna give him one of those cool american nicknames, until I realised Matty Dea may not feel comfortable sharing the showers with The D-Raper.

12 Likes

You’re an idiot

16 Likes

You just realised?

5 Likes

Spot on Nick, I thought the same. A few of his handballs were bullets to a running player out of a stoppage. He seems to have the agility to get himself out of trouble whist having the strength to shrug off opponents. His tap work was impressive as was his footskills. One thing I would like to see more from him is contested marks. For a guy of his size, he could impose himself a little more at marking contests. Im sure that will come.

2 Likes

seems like blitz has gone full lid off for draper

He’s the Begley of the VFL practice match.

8 Likes

Hopefully rightfully so!

A fourth real ruck option, even if he’s not ready til later this season or next, improves our list shape markedly. Belly and Leuy aren’t getting younger either.

2 Likes

Play him on anzac day.

see how collingwood like being vivisected by someone whose played 5 games in their life.

7 Likes

He better fkg kick the first goal too

I’ve tapped out early on games before, but when that big spuddy spud-spud kicked the first goal, I was out right then.

2 Likes

Yep. You just knew what sort of day we were in for when that happened. I think it was you who said post match that the best part of the whole match was when Tippa got it at half back in the first minute. That was it.

2 Likes

First time I have ever left at half time that one. Not a good day.

I was in the ER with a broken arm thinking about how that day was turning into a real classic.

2 Likes

That wasn’t even the first ANZAC Day game I’ve left early

I remember there was one about 7 or 8 years back where Paul Medhurst was dobbing goals from everywhere and we were about 10 goals down by half time.

1 Like

2010 if I’m correct.
I drove over and got there about about a hour before the game, Cloke and that spud Josh Fraser had a day out. It was 7 goals to nil at 1/4 time and about half way through the second quarter I jumped in my car and drove home. Was in Melbourne for about 2 hours tops lol

7 Likes

The Medhurst embarrassment of a game was 2008, he won the medal too I think.

2010 was equally as disastorous though, we didn’t kick a goal in the first quarter meanwhile they’d piled on 7 or 8 and made a total mess of us.

With Belly in the team and Leuy rested, hopefully he cab rack up some rucking minutes this week in the VFL.

He might be up a against Preuss. Last year Preuss beat us in the ruck until he ran out of petrol in the second half and SMack started to dominate
It will be a big test for the lad,