Big Sammy Draper - #1 ruckman now #2

You do anything in a panic you generally mess it up. I work in real estate currently and have a big history in accounting and finance. I’ve seen and heard it all.

1 Like

I hope sammy Draper isn’t waiting for the property market to crash before he buys a house. He’ll be retired before that happens.

2 Likes

back to the day job?

Not just waiters jobs. Skilled labour is in demand. There’s an estimated shortage of 250K IT jobs alone in Australia currently. But unskilled labour is hard to find too. There aren’t enough farm hands or hospitality workers in restaurants or cleaning amongst others. My kids work at Maccas, and 2 years ago, the average experience of staff was a few years, now it’s a few months, and they struggle to keep the ones they have. Most of their staff now across multiple stores are inexperienced, and few work hard. Some local Subway stores are frequently closed due to lack of staff.

Nurses and teachers have left their industries after pandemic pressures, so there is plenty of demand for those jobs. Travelling nurses and substitute teachers will likely be in demand for years to come.

A lot of advertised skilled labour jobs no longer list the wage they’re paying, as many are paying up to 30% more to attract staff, but don’t want to upset their current employees.

Tradie work has slowed with the cooling on property sales, so wages there are getting back toward normal rather than whatever they wanted to charge, with months of pre-booked work, but it’s still not quiet.

It isn’t very hard to find a job right now, and if you’re a hard worker, you’re in demand.

2 Likes

The idea that a single person working 2-3 casual jobs could even get a house nowadays to then struggle with repayments is a bit far fetched.

Ah, @51Bewick pretty much seems to be saying that in the quotes above.

There is nothing more insufferable than the constant pointless, strange ■■■■ measuring contest around which generation had it tougher with respect to home ownership.

Boomers had their struggles, current generation has their struggles. Maybe it sucked for boomers at the time, but it sucks now for the current generation.

Boomers can now currently enjoy the benefit of having paid off their obligations, and may I politely request, shut the ■■■■ up about it while the current gen tries to figure the system out and get a slice of the pie themselves?

3 Likes

What the Hells going on here,
is big Sammy quitting football to get into real estate?

2 Likes

I’m sorry for downplaying how hard it was for boomers.
It’s a fact that things got so bad in the seventies, some wives were forced to get part-time jobs.

4 Likes

Weird how people only want to work for what they’re worth.

I’d love to buy in on this but I’m so sick of so many threads disintegrating into arguments and mud slinging.
Nobody knows what it was like for anybody else at any given time or situation unless they’ve walked in their shoes.

7 Likes

FIXED

10 Likes

I do understand your frustration with the younger generation carrying on like they rent the place.

4 Likes

Probably more this

I didn’t gain from that single sentence, what point you were making, or whether it was contrary.

My point was simply, right now, employers are desperate for workers, both skilled and unskilled. If you feel your current job is stale, or not paying well, take a look at the job market. There are probably other companies desperate for your skills, and willing to pay well for them.

Plenty of people have stayed with an employer for a long time, and not every employer is aware of what it will cost to replace you right now if you leave.

ahhh gotta adore a good old Blitz topic swerve. Please head over to the other appropriate threads for discussions re property, mortgages, wages etc. Let’s get back to discussing Superstar Sammy :star_struck:

12 Likes

That can both be a very diplomatic position, and totally whitewashing valid grievances by a generation screwed over at most turns by the older one. Just because we can’t walk in each other’s shoes, doesn’t mean there isn’t empirical data to indicate how things were at different points in time.

2 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying but empirical data is just that- each of us has undertaken a unique journey in life with all sorts of challenges along the way. I’m not denying that getting into the property market now is a nightmare but that doesn’t mean that our lives were not without all sorts of struggles and difficulties.
And on a personal level I don’t believe I’ve screwed any of you over.

2 Likes

Sorry!
Can’t wait to see Draper in action this year and would love to see him in a leadership group if we have one.

1 Like
14 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: