18. One Direction – $42 million

20. Dr. Dre – $40 million

20. Red Hot Chili Peppers – $40 million

22. The Rolling Stones – $39 million

22. Katy Perry – $39 million

24. Tim McGraw – $33 million

25. Pink – $32 million

25. Tiësto – $32 million

The big question I have is; Jennifer Lopez still does "music"?

No, the bigger question is who the fark is Tiësto?????????  As crap as the rest are, at least I've heard of 'em....

Most people under the age of probably 30 would know who Tiesto is. Trance music pioneer of the late 90s to mid 00s who's now a fkg sellout flog.

I'm under 30 and I've never heard of him.

Then you're not most people. Soz.

2013 "Artist" earnings

01. Madonna – $125 million

02. Lady Gaga – $80 million

03. Bon Jovi – $79 million

04. Toby Keith – $65 million

05. Coldplay – $64 million

06. Justin Bieber – $58 million

07. Taylor Swift – $55 million

08. Elton John – $54 million

09. Beyonce – $53 million

09. Kenny Chesney – $53 million

11. Diddy – $50 million

12. Paul McCartney – $47 million

13. Calvin Harris – $46 million

14. Jennifer Lopez – $45 million

15. Roger Waters – $44 million

16. Muse – $43 million

16. Rihanna – $43 million

18. Jay Z – $42 million

18. One Direction – $42 million

20. Dr. Dre – $40 million

20. Red Hot Chili Peppers – $40 million

22. The Rolling Stones – $39 million

22. Katy Perry – $39 million

24. Tim McGraw – $33 million

25. Pink – $32 million

25. Tiësto – $32 million

No, the bigger question is who the fark is Tiësto?????????  As crap as the rest are, at least I've heard of 'em....

Most people under the age of probably 30 would know who Tiesto is. Trance music pioneer of the late 90s to mid 00s who's now a fkg sellout flog.

I'm under 30 and I've never heard of him.

Then you're not most people. Soz.

I am from gen-Y, therefore I represent all gen-Yers! At least, the media thinks so, anyway.

2013 "Artist" earnings

01. Madonna – $125 million - ****

02. Lady Gaga – $80 million - ****

03. Bon Jovi – $79 million - fair enough

04. Toby Keith – $65 million - who?

05. Coldplay – $64 million - **** but at least real

06. Justin Bieber – $58 million - **** 

07. Taylor Swift – $55 million - ****

08. Elton John – $54 million - fair enough

09. Beyonce – $53 million - ****

09. Kenny Chesney – $53 million - who?

11. Diddy – $50 million - who?

12. Paul McCartney – $47 million - as usual

13. Calvin Harris – $46 million - wow!

14. Jennifer Lopez – $45 million - ****

15. Roger Waters – $44 million - fair enough

16. Muse – $43 million - fair enough

16. Rihanna – $43 million - ****

18. Jay Z – $42 million - ****

18. One Direction – $42 million - ****

20. Dr. Dre – $40 million - fair enough but how?

20. Red Hot Chili Peppers – $40 million - fair enough

22. The Rolling Stones – $39 million - fair enough

22. Katy Perry – $39 million - ****

24. Tim McGraw – $33 million - who?

25. Pink – $32 million - ****

25. Tiësto – $32 million - fair enough

On Dre - he has made more money selling headphones in the last few years than he did in a career making music.

The margin in those fkg things would be ridiculous

The sound engineer who actually invented and designed them, in his own little startup before Dre even knew about them, gets absolutely bugger-all out of the deal apparently. 

Dre has some SERIOUS lawyers.

I saw Tiesto in Ibiza about 6 years ago. Was genuinely insane. (I probably didn't need that story, was just a shameless Ibiza reference)  Most of his stuff now has become radio-friendly commercial fluff, but his live shows include the best light, laser and AV production of anybody in the world, so he deserves to be on that list.

I was shocked to see the Chilly Willys still earning that sort of coin though. Good on them. 

I'm amazed 1D are that low, personally.

They're on EVERYTHING.

EVERY

THING

Oh and LULZ that any one on that list is any more or less of a sell-out than the rest.

Yep, I imagine they're all trying as hard as they can.

That 42 million though is probably 40 million in Simon Cowells pocket and 2 million pocket money for those five to share.

I saw Tiesto in Ibiza about 6 years ago. Was genuinely insane. (I probably didn't need that story, was just a shameless Ibiza reference)  Most of his stuff now has become radio-friendly commercial fluff, but his live shows include the best light, laser and AV production of anybody in the world, so he deserves to be on that list.

Careful, you'll upset the Muse fans.

Careful, you'll upset the Muse fans.

Nah, Muse got nothing on Tiesto when it comes to live A/V.  

If I ever get the chance, or even half a chance, I'm going to pound K Perry like a sewing machine.

Toby Keith is a country singer as Kenny Chesney and Tim Mc Graw. They are all huge in the States. Country Music is huge in America and does pretty well in Asia and Europe too. Taylor Swift is considered country although she does appeal to a wider range audience (smart girl). Tim McGraw is married to Faith Hill and has done some acting, he is currently doing a movie with George Clooney.

I’m not surprised to see those names on the list tbh.

No Korean or J Pop types on the list. Did they just not make it or did no one check those numbers?

No Korean or J Pop types on the list. Did they just not make it or did no one check those numbers?

Gangnam style was last year.

So no Korean musician sold any records in Korea after PSY faded back to obscurity?

The only entry I'm genuinely surprised at is RHCP. I didn't think they would be that high.

And like Rolo I would have expected Bruce Springsteen to be up there since all he did in 2013 was tour.

Country music is srs bzns in the States. 300 million folk, and at least half of them either are, or dream of being, cowboys.

Be interested to see how many of them

A) write their own songs

B) play an instrument

C) sing or play live onstage without some ■■■■■■ backing tale

D) don’t rely on lifting and props to aassive extent

If I ever get the chance, or even half a chance, I'm going to pound K Perry like a sewing machine.

Begs the question

How do you bang a sewing machine?

Mum'd be right ■■■■■■ off if she caught me plugging her Janome. Mightily ■■■■■■.

Begs the question

How do you bang a sewing machine?

Mum'd be right ■■■■■■ off if she caught me plugging her Janome. Mightily ■■■■■■.

Ah, ok.

I thought he meant a 1cm penetration at 2500rpm.

The sound engineer who actually invented and designed them, in his own little startup before Dre even knew about them, gets absolutely bugger-all out of the deal apparently. 

Thing with that is... The mob you are talking about is "Monster" - a company who sell cables worth a handful of dollars for hundreds of dollars. But even if you forgive all that, ignore it and just consider the whole Dre relationship, in which Dre objectively screwed Monster... Monster have re-entered the headphones market, a market that has been created by the "Beats" brand (for better or for worse) and they are now selling cans that are of "who gives a ■■■■" quality for premium price. Beats created a market - and maybe Monster created the original hardware, but the fact is the headphone market right now is all about image and nothing about sound.

Thing with that is... The mob you are talking about is "Monster" - a company who sell cables worth a handful of dollars for hundreds of dollars. But even if you forgive all that, ignore it and just consider the whole Dre relationship, in which Dre objectively screwed Monster... Monster have re-entered the headphones market, a market that has been created by the "Beats" brand (for better or for worse) and they are now selling cans that are of "who gives a fark" quality for premium price. Beats created a market - and maybe Monster created the original hardware, but the fact is the headphone market right now is all about image and nothing about sound.

People are suckers for advertising.

What am I doing with my life? If that list is anything to go by all I need to do is get an autotune machine and get the cans out. God uni was such a waste of time, all its managed to do is get me a centrelink paycheck....

"So you want to be a star huh...."