Billy Hartung

Hartung looked good in a good side, the worse Hawthorn have gotten, the more he’s been shown up. For a side that’s lost or losing almost all of their first-string on-ballers, it says a bit to cut a 22? year old who’s barely played reserves

I actually think Jerrett works harder going the other way, which (if you’re a Jerrett or Hartung or even Colyer) you ■■■■■■ well should.

I could cope with having him, but I’m not sure he plays, with a fit list.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I think he improves our list.
To me it’s just that simple.
He’s better than players we have, both older an younger.

2 Likes

I think he’s clearly better than long and Eades and arguably Jerrett

I think there’s a fair chance there’s someone better out there any of them, even at Pick 100.

Improves our list (maybe)
Best 28 (probably not)
Potential to improve (limited)

Can’t see the point.

At least Long has the potential to improve.
And J Merrett can kick the ball
And Colyer is best 22

2 Likes

Surely Long and Hartung are not dissimilar in age.
I personally don’t agree with any of that. Colyer was terribleast year. Far, far, far worse than Hartung.

1 Like

Age isn’t a reason to think Hartung and Long are at the same development point. They have had completely different paths, irrespective of their ages.

Colyer has been best 22, even when he’s been out of form, because he has a point of difference. High level acceleration. What is Hartung’s selling point? That he can run all day. That isn’t enough.

With the ball, probably.
In a contest, no.
Without, hell to the no.

Would a ■■■■ truck team full of 30+ yo guys delist a good 22yo?

2 Likes

Really?
You’re going with Hawthorn’s list management?
Two words. The first one is Tyrone.

4 Likes

While an understandable sentiment, they would know all there is to know about Hartung, and still figured their list was better off without him.

I’d like us to get him.
As wim says, he’s better than half of the players playing regular VFL and he’s also in the right age group.

He could push into our best 22 with a good preseason.
He’d be an upgrade on Jerrett, Morgan and Dea.
For memory Hartung has played a bit off the half back flank which is where Jerrett, Morgan and Dea have been playing.

Brisbane thought they were better off without Green.
How many games did he get in a team that made finals?

Hartung is worth the gamble.
Which is next to nothing.

1 Like

i don’t want him, but anyone suggesting jerrett and coyler (bar his purple patch) are better options are kidding themselves.

Jerretts been on the list for how long ? still couldn’t cement a spot, he’s the 20 teens version of henneman and bolton, coaches pet.

and coyler, it’s funny people are saying oh hartung is delisted from an old list so that must say he’s ■■■■, well i’m betting coyler would have been delisted ages ago if he was on the hawks list too, cos they are pretty much the exact same player.

Bolton? Bolton was a more than handy footballer.

A fair point well made.
Still can’t think of heaps they would regret letting go.

Being cut from hawthorn’s list in 2013 or 14 is a lot different from being cut from hawthorn’s list in 2017.

1 Like

Haven’t been a fan of colyer this year but there is no way in hell he is worse than hartung. Hartung has little upside, colyer just has to stop fumbling and he would he a damn good player.

Hartung would be a list clogger to any team vying for finals.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be the worst option

1 Like

IIRC back after the Hawks last flag, that prick Mitchell was asked about Hartung not being selected for the GF
Mitchell in his typical smart ■■■■ manner responded something like “oh he’ll get a lick of the ice cream next year”
Thought it was a ■■■■ thing for Mitchell to say but probably shouldn’t have expected anything less

I still rate Colyer. Highly. I think he has excellent football ahead of him. Confidence is a fickle beast.

My Hawthorn supporting mates used to wet themselves over Hartung. Hartung this, Hartung that, he’s the reason of why the Hawks will stay up the ladder for years, the next generation yada yada.

I can’t stop grinning today.

Hartung. Can run but can’t play football.

2 Likes